Post Bacc classes to raise GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stookie

Slick Nasty
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you take post bacc classes to raise you GPA? I talked to someone from U of O and they told me to get another bachelor's degree.

Members don't see this ad.

stookie said:
Can you take post bacc classes to raise you GPA? I talked to someone from U of O and they told me to get another bachelor's degree.

If the GPA is really low (like under 3), you may have to get another degree and rock it (and incorporate all your prereqs into that new degree if you want schools to ignore your previous one). Just be sure to do it FULL-TIME (5 classes a term) - no excuse, including a full-time job, can make up for part-time status.

(Done the first, wish I'd done the second - would've meant far fewer rejection letters this year).

The old degree will be evidence that you are well-rounded, esp. if it's not in science. I suspect that post-bacc is a U.S. thing. I know there aren't any premed postbacc programs in Canada, anyway. If you're just raising your GPA by a bit, you could start another degree but maybe not have to finish it; some schools do just count your most recent X years of "undergrad studies" (in whatever program, they don't care).

Best of luck, whatever you decide.