Canadian citizen, wanting to get a Master degree to raise the GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMD13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm 26 and getting my Bsc in 4 months. I have a very low GPA (~2.9) due to many problems I had past 2 years in my life but medicine is my passion and I can't let it go.
I'm applying for Ireland and Carib. Schools but even for those I'm sure my chances are very low.
So I want to apply for Masters programs as well.
And since I hate Master programs I want to go to Ireland to finish it in one year as opposed to Canadian prorams that take 2 years and research is mandatory.
my question is that if I go to Ireland and get a Master in one year, would Canadian and US schools accept that? And would it change my GPA greatly? Because I think they take the average of undergrad and masters.

Do you think going to a caribbean school starting from Sept 2017 is better for me or studying a master program in Canada for 2 years and then apply to Canadian or USA med schools?
I'm getting concerned about my age and I want to enter a medical school as fast as I can. And with my situation I don't know what is best for me.

Thank you so much for your help 'cause I really need one

Members don't see this ad.

International grades are not considered in AMCAS (except Canadian).

Grades in a domestic Master's degree appear but are not averaged into the undergraduate gpa in AMCAS. They do not offset a weak academic performance (at US MD schools).

Grade replacement is considered at most DO schools and they may have a different view on Master's degrees
I do not recommend Caribbean schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your help.
Based on what you're saying there is no way for me to become a doctor then because of my undergrad?
What if I get another Bachelor's degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your help.
Based on what you're saying there is no way for me to become a doctor then because of my undergrad?
For US MD schools, the grades from a second degree will be averaged into the old degree.
The trend, if upward would be helpful, but the final gpa would still need to be acceptable.
There are apparently a few schools in Michigan that consider the most recent grades more strongly.
DO schools are particularly generous in their evaluation of re-takes.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your help.
You would need another undergrad degree, with a 3.9+ GPA each year to have a shot at a Canadian school. Even then, you'd be limited to a couple, once of which requires a 130CARS score.

US DO schools are considered IMGs in Canada, but you'd need more undergrad to have a shot. And if you go to the carib, realize you've got a very risky residency match waiting for you