Post-bac programs and submitting grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ozzybaj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time using SDN so if i am posting something incorrectly I apologize ahead of time. I am here to ask you a question pertaining to Post-bacc programs and the submission of grades. I have tried using google but have found no help.

I graduated from undergrad in December of '15. I was going to apply but realistically my GPA is not good enough to merit an acceptance. I started working full time as a scribe and got accepted to a Masters program at TCMC.

I understand that an early submission to medical school means submitting my application in July. Since my classes begin in August, can I submit my AAMC application in July, and say in my application that I will submit my grades when I receive them in Nov/ Dec of this year. Does this screw me over? Does it mean that I would have to wait another year and then apply in 2017 to get in 2018? Or do many students find themselves in my situation and is this a common occurrence for application committees? Hypothetically speaking, if i were to submit my application in July, and do really well in my masters and submit a GPA of 3.8, do I stand a chance?

A little outside information about myself. I got a 512 on my MCAT. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0 (I know this sucks). My plan, which I full well intend to execute, is to go into this masters programs and give it my best go and get a 3.8 or above and send that to AAMC.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

my GPA is not good enough to merit an acceptance. ... got accepted to a Masters program at TCMC. ... can I submit my AAMC application in July, and say in my application that I will submit my grades when I receive them in Nov/ Dec of this year. Hypothetically speaking, if i were to submit my application in July, and do really well in my masters and submit a GPA of 3.8, do I stand a chance? ... I got a 512 on my MCAT. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0
I would wait until next year to apply at the absolute earliest. Your 3.0 GPA is simply not competitive for any medical school admissions, and a single semester of 3.8 late in the cycle is unlikely to change anyone's mind.

At the very least, you'll need multiple semesters of sustained academic performance to convince people that you are capable of handling medical school. I would recommend retaking any classes in which you did poorly in (F's, D's, or C's) and then applying to DO schools to take advantage of their grade replacement policy.

Also, unless the Masters program at TCMC is a specialized masters program (SMP) where you take classes with medical students, it may not be that useful from a grade improvement point-of-view. Masters GPAs may be seen as having grade inflation, and are listed separately from your undergrad GPA. Hope this helps.