post bac needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vince86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i need some help on deciding whether going into a post bac is a better option for my situation.

I have a 3.448 overall and a 3.428 science gpa. But i have not done well on my first mcat. So i was planning on retaking it in july18th.

I was advised to go into a post bac program because med school is very competitive to get into. But i thought that my gpa was slightly below avg and said why dont i just spend money on a mcat course again and do 30+ on mcats to balance it? instead of spending 20k+ on a post bac? I have applied to post bacs but havent got any decisions yet. mainly i want to goto either drexel msp or bu mams. but i have applied to tufts and a masters program at my undergrad university.

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which state do you live in?

I do not recommend post-bac programs. These grades would be placed in your Graduate GPA, while undergraduate GPA is the benchmark for Medical Schools. As you mention, they are also very expensive. My advice is take undergraduate Science courses at a local public University (it must be a 4Y school, not a Community College, though) and shoot for A's. Of course, prep for the MCAT along with this. Do not apply to Medical School until 2009 and you should have at least 2-3 additional MCAT attempts before your apps go out in June of 2009.

If you take courses at a Public School and live at home, your expenses can be less than $20K (including gas for your car). Going to a post-bac or Masters program, with housing and other costs can EASILY clear $50K.

If you can take one course this Summer, then perhaps three in the Fall and three in the Spring, that could raise your BCMP quite a bit. Be creative; some courses like Geology, Statistics, certain Psychology courses, etc can be counted in your BCMP. You'd be surprised how easy some of these courses can be (especially at the 'right' University). Good luck!

I dont know about going back to undergrad?? i haven't heard of applying back to school to a undergrad program?? Shouldn't i take hard sciences instead of these natural sci/ and math courses? i live in NY

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going back for another degree, you're just taking additional Science courses to raise your BCMP and prep for the MCAT. Don't be mistaken; I wouldn't suggest ALL 'fluff' Science courses, but you could throw in one per semester. If you take three Science courses per semester, for example, you could take two difficult ones (Biochemistry, Genetics, etc.) and another that's cleverly disguised. If you take a Psych course on perception or behavior or perhaps a Stats/Astronomy course, it won't look bad so long as they're blended with more traditional Science courses. Think: Anatomy, Physiology, Ecology/Evolution and others along those lines.

You're right, you need some difficult Science courses on your transcript, but you don't want to go overboard and hurt your GPA.

At the end of the day, the numbers are very important. Schools make adjustments, but it's always good to have the high numbers. If asked, it's not hard to explain why you chose this route over the Masters. This is less expensive, much more flexible, allows you to target your weak areas, gives you more time for MCAT prep, counts towards your Undergraduate record, perhaps allows for part-time employment/research/volunteering, etc.

Going to BU would cost a lot of money and may not be worth it. If I remember correctly, Drexel's MSP is the lower of its programs (IMS being preferred). That would cost a lot as well and may require two years before starting Med School.

If you get your BCMP to 3.6 or higher and MCAT 30+ (no section less than 9), you'll be competitive for select Allopathic schools. It would look very good if your most recent Science coursework is very strong (mainly A's).

i already graduated and i already taken biochem and molecular, im a biochem major. i have applied for a masters at my undergrad university but its graduate level. and i dont think they would let me take undergrad courses? im not sure.... but i also think that taking too many undergrad credits would look bad without getting an extra degree. But even tho, if i do take these classes, As and A-s wont bring me up that high. im already 136 credits in. and it seems like each semester i can only bring it up prob .08 points with straight As.

i guess thats why people turn to grad gpa and try to use that as a benchmark.

i dont think my gpa is that low, but i do think i can benefit from graduate courses or even a post bac.

My stats are lower than yours and people are recommending I apply with a July 18th MCAT. I honestly think this guy is off.

From what I have been told, you should nail this MCAT and get your app out so it is complete when your scores come out.