Post-Bac 2021-2022 Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone applied to the following schools and heard anything for career changers? (Temple BCHS, UPenn, Drexel (Part-Time), Lasalle, Jefferson, Columbia, American University (D.C), or Georgetown?

Also, I have submitted my applications but have yet to receive an email confirmation that they are in from Lasalle, American, or Georgetown. Is this normal?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone applied to the following schools and heard anything for career changers? (Temple BCHS, UPenn, Drexel (Part-Time), Lasalle, Jefferson, Columbia, American University (D.C), or Georgetown?

Also, I have submitted my applications but have yet to receive an email confirmation that they are in from Lasalle, American, or Georgetown. Is this normal?
Hey there! I was just invited to interview with Thomas Jefferson P4 (I sent the dates that work for me this morning). I've only received a confirmation from Temple, but my app isn't technically complete as I am still waiting on my third recommendation to be submitted.

Has anyone recently submitted an app to Goucher and Bryn Mawr? If so, how long did they take to get back to you after your Post-Baccalaureate CAS app was verified? Trying to figure out a timeline.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone recently submitted an app to Goucher and Bryn Mawr? If so, how long did they take to get back to you after your Post-Baccalaureate CAS app was verified? Trying to figure out a timeline.

Thank you!
There are a few timelines posted earlier in this thread from multiple applicants, all from this year. In general, it seems like you're looking at 1-2 weeks give or take to see if you get an interview. Then about the 1-2 weeks after interview for a decision. I imagine there's lots of things that could alter that timeline though, since it was the holidays recently.

Hey y'all, I got a rejection from Bennington. I thought I should share it because of what it said, this is the e-mail I received:

"The admissions committee regrets to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in our Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program for 2021. The college has decided to consider a redesign of the program, and while these conversations are being held will not admit students into the class of 2021. Should admissions reopen for 2021, you will be notified."

I submitted my app yesterday morning and I wanted to share just in case some of y'all haven't spent the money on applying just yet (might be worth calling them first).

Good luck to everyone!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
There are a few timelines posted earlier in this thread from multiple applicants, all from this year. In general, it seems like you're looking at 1-2 weeks give or take to see if you get an interview. Then about the 1-2 weeks after interview for a decision. I imagine there's lots of things that could alter that timeline though, since it was the holidays recently.
Great, thank you! I'll take a look at those. Thanks for your response!

Hey everyone, for the Bryn Mawr personal statement, do you have any idea what they expect, considering we already have the PostBacCas personal statement? I've just used it to talk more about my experiences/specific interests in medicine, and was wondering if that's enough. Thanks!

Last edited:
How long does verification typically take? I submitted a week ago (late, I know), and they requested an extra transcript from a high school/college dual enrollment course I forgot I took. That transcript was finally processed, so just waiting on verification now. I am such an anxious type, and I'm a little terrified that a 3-4 week timeline will make me miss deadlines or that I'll be so close to the end their won't be any slots left. I applied to UVA, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Scripps, Bennington, CU Boulder.

Hi all! Applied and have been accepted to programs at Columbia, UVA, Scripps, Loyola Marymount, Temple, and waitlisted at Bryn Mawr. (Rejected from Goucher). Currently, deciding between UVA and Scripps. Anyone have experience at these programs or advice as I weigh this choice?

Obviously, Scripps is a relatively older, prestigious program with great stats but I am hesitant about taking classes amongst undergrads and have heard some mixed things on the advising. Also have to take a semester of Calculus to prep, which isn’t ideal. UVA is newer but seems like a really supportive place where you can be successful. Have only heard positive things.

At the end of the day, I want to go somewhere with a close cohort, highly structured, and with great stats. California is more attractive to me than Charlottesville (esp because I hope to attend medical school out West) but I’m very flexible. If I were to get off the waitlist at Bryn Mawr, that would trump either program. Any advice on getting off Bryn Mawr's waitlist?

(Some background on me: Graduated from Dartmouth with a 3.6 GPA, have my Masters in Journalism from Columbia, and have been a health reporter for 4 years. Currently live in NYC but flexible on location)

Thank you SO much in advance. Any insight is much appreciated :)

Hi all! Applied and have been accepted to programs at Columbia, UVA, Scripps, Loyola Marymount, Temple, and waitlisted at Bryn Mawr. (Rejected from Goucher). Currently, deciding between UVA and Scripps. Anyone have experience at these programs or advice as I weigh this choice?

Obviously, Scripps is a relatively older, prestigious program with great stats but I am hesitant about taking classes amongst undergrads and have heard some mixed things on the advising. Also have to take a semester of Calculus to prep, which isn’t ideal. UVA is newer but seems like a really supportive place where you can be successful. Have only heard positive things.

At the end of the day, I want to go somewhere with a close cohort, highly structured, and with great stats. California is more attractive to me than Charlottesville (esp because I hope to attend medical school out West) but I’m very flexible. If I were to get off the waitlist at Bryn Mawr, that would trump either program. Any advice on getting off Bryn Mawr's waitlist?

(Some background on me: Graduated from Dartmouth with a 3.6 GPA, have my Masters in Journalism from Columbia, and have been a health reporter for 4 years. Currently live in NYC but flexible on location)

Thank you SO much in advance. Any insight is much appreciated :)
when did you get most of your acceptances? congrats on all of the success! you really sound like your on the right path.

when did you get most of your acceptances? congrats on all of the success! you really sound like your on the right path.
Hi there, thanks for the kind words! I heard back on the first and second week of December.

Hey everyone, for the Bryn Mawr personal statement, do you have any idea what they expect, considering we already have the PostBacCas personal statement? I've just used it to talk more about my experiences/specific interests in medicine, and was wondering if that's enough. Thanks!
Your take sounds about right, I think they leave it intentionally vague so that the applicant can tailor their response in whatever way they think best. For me, my personal statement roughly answered the question "why medicine?" and described my journey/thought process that helped me find my passion for medicine, and my additional essay was more of a "why you?" explanation and hit on my unique qualifications and experiences that I felt would make me a good doctor while also referencing the influence of role models. So there was some overlap in the experiences that I talked about but from a different perspective and with different emphasis. I ended up really loving that essay and wishing that I could have used it for more schools haha. I think it's really up to the individual applicant to use the extra essay to their best advantage in whatever way they want.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Currently I have interviews with Thomas Jefferson, Temple, and George Washington. I saw the post earlier on the interview with TJ and that is super helpful, but I wanted to touch base to see if any of y'all have had interviews with the other two schools and could share what the experience was like (or if anyone wants to add anything else about TJ).

Congrats to those already in and good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I was recently admitted to Georgetown’s PBPM and was wondering if anyone had any further info/thoughts/feelings about the program? Just trying to get as much information as possible before I make a decision!

Hi everyone! I was recently admitted to Georgetown’s PBPM and was wondering if anyone had any further info/thoughts/feelings about the program? Just trying to get as much information as possible before I make a decision!
Congrats on your acceptance!! How long did it take for you to receive an interview/acceptance from your application date?

Congrats on your acceptance!! How long did it take for you to receive an interview/acceptance from your application date?
Thank you! I submitted on December 5th and then got an email on January 11th saying I would find out within two weeks, and I got the acceptance notification on January 14th.

Does anyone know when Goucher determines their scholarships?

Are these nominal or are a few significant?

Does anyone know of any external post bac grants or scholarships available?

Hi all! Is there another thread/website that has more information on the specific requirements of common post-bacc linkage arrangements (GPA/Mcat requirements)? Some participating Med Schools list it on their website, but with others it's not so clear how it works. I assume we will learn specifics when we start our post-bacc, but I was just curious if anybody knew anything more. I assume they all require high GPA (3.7+) and a pretty decent MCAT score (average requirement I've seen is around 85th percentile score or above, which I think is around a 512). Thanks for the help!

@SDBiotech, I've been wondering the same thing but for Bryn Mawr. Would @LGL25 or any other current/former postbac students have something to say about scholarships or other financial assistance for these programs?

For future Goucher students, I'm sure that anybody on the contact spreadsheet that the teaching fellow sent out to admitted students would be happy to talk to you about the scholarship/financial situation if you haven't reached out to them yet. If you hear anything from them or the administration, I'd be curious about what they have to say.

@BachLikesBagels (nice name!), there was some discussion of this earlier in the thread, and while I think that the benchmarks you mention are in line with what I've generally heard, I've never seen a complete and specific list from Goucher or Bryn Mawr, perhaps because the requirements might change from year to year. Needless to say, if anybody else has that information and is willing to share, I think everybody would be pretty interested.

Reactions: 1 users
@SDBiotech, I've been wondering the same thing but for Bryn Mawr. Would @LGL25 or any other current/former postbac students have something to say about scholarships or other financial assistance for these programs?

For future Goucher students, I'm sure that anybody on the contact spreadsheet that the teaching fellow sent out to admitted students would be happy to talk to you about the scholarship/financial situation if you haven't reached out to them yet. If you hear anything from them or the administration, I'd be curious about what they have to say.

@BachLikesBagels (nice name!), there was some discussion of this earlier in the thread, and while I think that the benchmarks you mention are in line with what I've generally heard, I've never seen a complete and specific list from Goucher or Bryn Mawr, perhaps because the requirements might change from year to year. Needless to say, if anybody else has that information and is willing to share, I think everybody would be pretty interested.
I could be wrong, but I think I remember learning from the students at Bryn Mawr that none of the scholarships there are given out until the actual program year. I am like 80-90% sure they told me you can apply for scholarships during the Fall for the second half of the program, but none are awarded before then.

Hey friends!

I am a fellow post-bac applicant and have applied to a few programs. I have an interview with UPenn tomorrow morning, for which I am thrilled.
In case you haven't researched UPenn's program, they recently started a podcast called Penn Pals Podcast, in which they interview healthcare professionals and students. The host of their podcast is doing an episode where he (and I believe another student) will answer questions from prospective students. This is an excellent opportunity to learn from current post-bac students in case the information sessions clash with your schedule (like they have mine). Whether you have applied, intend to apply, or are just curious, I highly recommend checking out their podcast and filling out the survey below.
Good luck to all of you on your journey to medicine. Sending all my best!

Podcast

Survey

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! I am about 1 year out from applying to pre-med post-bac programs so despite not being a 2021-2022 applicant I've been using this forum as a place to compile information because I want to be as prepared as I can when it's my time to apply! That being said, I have been concerned about my SAT score weakening the strength of my application.

I am a current junior studying at one of the top communications schools in the country and I am doing really well (on track to graduate summa cum laude). Despite this, my SAT score is in the 87th percentile and I'm wondering how post-bac admissions will look at my not super competitive SAT score. I know post-bac's really want to accept people that will thrive in an intense program and ultimatly perform well on the MCAT so all that being said, how will my rather mediocre SAT score affect my chances at getting into the competitive programs like Bryn Mawr, Goucher, UVA, etc.

Thank you!!!

This is specific to the Bryn Mawr application as it has been, but I found that the extra essay was a good place to proactively mention potential weak points and to contextualize them in a confidence inspiring way. Think of the ways in which you’ve gotten better at either specific subject matter or test taking in general and let them know that you’ve been intentional about improving and mindful of how to present that improvement. Although my composite SAT was in the 98th percentile, my math section was even lower than the 87th, so I needed to address that. A display of candor, ownership of past weaknesses, and quantifiable improvement has worked out well for me. Of course, with Goucher, I couldn’t put this in a secondary essay at the outset, but I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to bring it up in the interview.

Our past scores are what they are. We can’t change them, so it doesn’t help (though I know it’s perfectly natural!) to worry about them. Past scores aren’t in our control any longer, but what how we communicate about them and what we do moving forward are.

If you put your scores into the right context with a compelling narrative that takes the lead in your application, I’m sure it can be a competitive one, especially when reviewed holistically, as I believe these schools strive to do. Best of luck!

Last edited:
This is specific to the Bryn Mawr application as it has been, but I found that the extra essay was a good place to proactively mention potential weak points and to contextualize them in a confidence inspiring way. Think of the ways in which you’ve gotten better at either specific subject matter or test taking in general and let them know that you’ve been intentional about improving and mindful of how to present that improvement. Although my composite SAT was in the 98th percentile, my math section was even lower than the 87th, so I needed to address that. A display of candor, ownership of past weaknesses, and quantifiable improvement has worked out well for me. Of course, with Goucher, I couldn’t put this in a secondary essay at the outset, but I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to bring it up in the interview.

Our past scores are what they are. We can’t change them, so it doesn’t help (though I know it’s perfectly natural!) to worry about them. Past scores aren’t in our control any longer, but what how we communicate about them and what we do moving forward are.

If you put your scores into the right context with a compelling narrative that takes the lead in your application, I’m sure it can be a competitive one, especially when reviewed holistically, as I believe these schools strive to do. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for this - I really appreciate your insight and advice! I will definitely make sure to keep this in mind as I move forward with my application process.

Hey guys, so glad to hear about your acceptance to Goucher @boxalarm and your interviews @microfisher91 and to everyone else! I wrapped up my applications last week to University of Florida, Scripps, Goucher, Temple, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Meredith, and Columbia with an acceptance at Northeastern! UF is my top choice, but I would be happy to attend any of those programs, and it would be really cool if some of us cross each other (post Covid) on campus haha Looking forward to hearing back from you guys (and the programs!!!) Hope all is well :)

Hey guys, so glad to hear about your acceptance to Goucher @boxalarm and your interviews @microfisher91 and to everyone else! I wrapped up my applications last week to University of Florida, Scripps, Goucher, Temple, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Meredith, and Columbia with an acceptance at Northeastern! UF is my top choice, but I would be happy to attend any of those programs, and it would be really cool if some of us cross each other (post Covid) on campus haha Looking forward to hearing back from you guys (and the programs!!!) Hope all is well :)
Hi!! Congrats on your acceptance! I hope you hear good news back from UF soon :) If you'd care to share I'm curious to hear if/how you talked about your neurodivergence (assuming autism based on your username?) in your app and interview and how you think it will impact or enhance your practice as a future physician!

Hi everyone,

I was fortunate enough to be accepted at both Bryn Mawr and Goucher for the upcoming year, and am having some difficulty deciding between the two programs. I'm very interested in linking, and am looking to pursue an MD/MBA, so I would be interested in linking to a school with a top business program as well (Penn, NYU, Michigan, and Chicago). Does anyone who is a current student at/ alumni of either of these programs have any insight into:

1. How difficult it is to link? What percentage of students successfully link to top med schools from these programs? What is the average GPA of students who link to these schools? Do these schools require the MCAT?
2. What does the linkage application process consist of your school? E.g. Is it essentially just forwarding your Postbaccas application to med schools or do you have to fill out AMCAS, go through the entire process as if you are applying to medical school regularly?

Just for some context, I've graduated from an ivy with a degree in history, ~3.7GPA, 34/36 ACT, working in investment banking for the past 2 years. Thanks in advance!
Hi! Congrats on the acceptances, that's awesome. There's not a ton of alumni in this thread unfortunately, but you might have some luck reaching out to current students by text or email on the contact list sent you by Goucher (and BM if applicable). This page which is shared further up in this thread details Columbia's linkages (several of which overlap with Goucher & BM). It is the only hard and fast info that I know of related to your question about stats for linking. It's highly variable by school and admission to the PBPM program is not a guarantee to link. I believe you have to go through most of the normal application process and interview as if you were part of the regular cycle, since you kind of are, except a year earlier than you would be otherwise. You can then gain a conditional acceptance to the school and a full acceptance once you complete the program with the minimum GPA and (if applicable) MCAT score. Anyone else please feel free to jump in and correct me or add to what I've said if you have more knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in linking, and am looking to pursue an MD/MBA, so I would be interested in linking to a school with a top business program as well (Penn, NYU, Michigan, and Chicago).
Congratulations on the acceptances--it's a good feeling to have, even if it forces you to make a decision between the two. Echoing @SpeakMed, I would suggest taking advantage of the contact list (or the teaching fellow; since she's on her second glide year, I'm sure she'd be familiar with the outcomes of her cohort).

Have you gotten in touch with either program directly? Though it seems like the programs keep linkage information close to the vest, I think that wanting to link as well as pursue an MBA would be a specific question that they should be able to answer, especially since you're in the nice position of being able to choose which school works better for your future. When I was accepted to Goucher, they notified me so quickly that their enrollment deadline was sooner than I would hear back from Bryn Mawr. I felt weird about asking for an extension from Goucher, but once I explained the situation, Betsy was so kind and understanding.

If it helps at all, I did scrawl the following on my printout of the Bryn Mawr linkage information: "Are there #s on linkage acceptances? --> 70-80%"
Take this with a huge grain of salt, however, because this note was taken in the fall of 2019 (I reapplied this year), I don't know if this percentage applies to all schools equally, and I'm sure that it refers to an MD only program, not MD/MBA. I hope that you are able to find helpful information to make your decision! I've been watching some near and dear to me go through b school applications this year, and the M7 were brutal, so I totally understand wanting to link.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi!! Congrats on your acceptance! I hope you hear good news back from UF soon :) If you'd care to share I'm curious to hear if/how you talked about your neurodivergence (assuming autism based on your username?) in your app and interview and how you think it will impact or enhance your practice as a future physician!
Autism is large part of my life, and it's a big driver in why I want to pursue medicine. The autistic community is incredibly underrepresented in medicine, and so I want to learn how I can help from within the system. I do a lot of advocacy work, with many projects behind me. I spoke a lot about how I got involved with service. For me, I struggle with situations where peoples' roles are not welcome defined, such as social situations. When I serve on projects or with organizations, these roles are well defined. When I am helping someone, they don't act like they see my autism, they act like I'm someone who is working with them to achieve a common goal, and it's incredibly empowering and humanizing for me. I have no clinical experience whatsoever, but when it comes to my desire to serve I think (but am not sure) that that is what caught their eye at Northeastern. I hope that I will help those paving the way for the autistic community in medicine (I know of a few, but not many) as we have doctors of different sexes, genders, and orientations, doctors of different races, religions, and ethnicities, and we need doctors of different brains. Thanks @SpeakMed for asking. And if there are any other neurodivergent students, please feel free to start a conversation!

Autism is large part of my life, and it's a big driver in why I want to pursue medicine. The autistic community is incredibly underrepresented in medicine, and so I want to learn how I can help from within the system. I do a lot of advocacy work, with many projects behind me. I spoke a lot about how I got involved with service. For me, I struggle with situations where peoples' roles are not welcome defined, such as social situations. When I serve on projects or with organizations, these roles are well defined. When I am helping someone, they don't act like they see my autism, they act like I'm someone who is working with them to achieve a common goal, and it's incredibly empowering and humanizing for me. I have no clinical experience whatsoever, but when it comes to my desire to serve I think (but am not sure) that that is what caught their eye at Northeastern. I hope that I will help those paving the way for the autistic community in medicine (I know of a few, but not many) as we have doctors of different sexes, genders, and orientations, doctors of different races, religions, and ethnicities, and we need doctors of different brains. Thanks @SpeakMed for asking. And if there are any other neurodivergent students, please feel free to start a conversation!
Thanks for sharing! I love your point about neurodivergent representation in medicine and I think it's awesome that you've been able to reframe something that's often cast as a disability as a pro. I'd never considered your point about the clearly defined roles in work vs. everyday life or the humanizing effect of being a care provider either. I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to bulk up your clinical experience during your post-bacc, and it sounds like you have already laid a convincing foundation of reasoning for why you want to become a doctor. I currently work with a lot of individuals across the spectrum, from nonverbal kids who need an avenue to communicate basic needs to young professionals trying to brush up on social skills and conversation. I think this has given me some unique insight into the differences and assets that autistic folks bring to the table, but I could never advocate in the same way as someone who has lived experience, so I think what you're doing is really cool!

Thanks for sharing! I love your point about neurodivergent representation in medicine and I think it's awesome that you've been able to reframe something that's often cast as a disability as a pro. I'd never considered your point about the clearly defined roles in work vs. everyday life or the humanizing effect of being a care provider either. I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to bulk up your clinical experience during your post-bacc, and it sounds like you have already laid a convincing foundation of reasoning for why you want to become a doctor. I currently work with a lot of individuals across the spectrum, from nonverbal kids who need an avenue to communicate basic needs to young professionals trying to brush up on social skills and conversation. I think this has given me some unique insight into the differences and assets that autistic folks bring to the table, but I could never advocate in the same way as someone who has lived experience, so I think what you're doing is really cool!
Thank you! If you're ever interested in a really cool movie that does an excellent job at painting a picture of the nonverbal autistic experience, check out "The Reason I Jump." I hope I get some opportunities for real clinical experience, but if due to COVID the opportunities just won't present themselves, I'll be happy advocating in the mean time in what ways I can. Thank you @SpeakMed for your time! And to everyone else, good luck this cycle!

Hi everyone! I am brand new to SDN and this is my first post, so apologies if I mess anything up. Wow -- I feel a bit nervous seeing how early everyone applied. Am I the only one applying by the actual deadlines? Haha. I hope this doesn't hurt my application :(

Hi all! I'm preparing the last touches on my applications for Bryn Mawr and Goucher, and realizing I may have missed an important detail: I took biology 100 (organismal biology) and biology 200 (genetics/evolution/ecology) in college, and one semester of chemistry. I'm registered for my second semester right now. Will this disqualify me from both of these application pools, if I have too many of the prerequisites completed? I have no physics, organic chemistry, or biochemistry background. Should I drop this semester of chemistry before the deadline in order to not have in on my transcript, so as to improve chances of getting into one of these programs?

Hi all! I'm preparing the last touches on my applications for Bryn Mawr and Goucher, and realizing I may have missed an important detail: I took biology 100 (organismal biology) and biology 200 (genetics/evolution/ecology) in college, and one semester of chemistry. I'm registered for my second semester right now. Will this disqualify me from both of these application pools, if I have too many of the prerequisites completed? I have no physics, organic chemistry, or biochemistry background. Should I drop this semester of chemistry before the deadline in order to not have in on my transcript, so as to improve chances of getting into one of these programs?
Call the programs and ask them directly is what I would do. Goucher might allow up to three classes or something, but you wanna double check with them. Edit: The Goucher website says "Occasionally, we admit students who have taken one or two of the science prerequisites."

Last edited:
hey there! one question for those applying using PostBacCAS: what differences are you guys making between the experiences section and the required CV/resume? I'm a little lost: everything I would include in the experiences is also included on my resume. are you guys using the experience section just to talk in more detail about the things on your resume? would so appreciate any insight on this :)

hey there! one question for those applying using PostBacCAS: what differences are you guys making between the experiences section and the required CV/resume? I'm a little lost: everything I would include in the experiences is also included on my resume. are you guys using the experience section just to talk in more detail about the things on your resume? would so appreciate any insight on this :)
Yes, I used that section to add more detail and to contextualize my experiences within the narrative that I presented in my essay(s). I also submitted a one-page resume, so I included more items in the experience section than on my resume though this doesn’t seem to be a consideration for you based on what you wrote. I found it to be a fun challenge to write the most informative, relevant, stylized description of my experiences as I could within the word count, and I thought of each blurb as almost a little extension of the essay section.

Yes, I used that section to add more detail and to contextualize my experiences within the narrative that I presented in my essay(s). I also submitted a one-page resume, so I included more items in the experience section than on my resume though this doesn’t seem to be a consideration for you based on what you wrote. I found it to be a fun challenge to write the most informative, relevant, stylized description of my experiences as I could within the word count, and I thought of each blurb as almost a little extension of the essay section.
This is SUPER helpful. Thank you so much. Now that you mention it – I could probably pare down my resume a bit, and put some more stuff in the experience section. Thank you again!

One other question I was wondering if any of you had insight on is clinical hours/shadowing/volunteering. I basically don't have any because I switched career paths recently, and COVID made doing these things very difficult. Will this seriously doom my application?

Hi everyone! I am brand new to SDN and this is my first post, so apologies if I mess anything up. Wow -- I feel a bit nervous seeing how early everyone applied. Am I the only one applying by the actual deadlines? Haha. I hope this doesn't hurt my application :(
Just stay (oncology) hopeful!

Hi everyone! Not a current applicant but a current career changer post-bacc student at Temple just popping in to say I know this process is quite the rollercoaster any year but especially now during the pandemic. Be kind to yourselves. I promise, regardless of past grades/experiences/mistakes/etc, that you are capable of finding a post-bacc program to meet your needs and succeeding. You don't have to be perfect! Just be honest, open, and ready to learn and grow.
Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.
Just remember, you've got this!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all! I have an interview with LMU on Friday, waiting to hear back from UCI, Mills and waiting to take the GRE for USC and Scripps.

Has anyone heard back from any of these programs?

One other question I was wondering if any of you had insight on is clinical hours/shadowing/volunteering. I basically don't have any because I switched career paths recently, and COVID made doing these things very difficult. Will this seriously doom my application?
Absolutely won't doom you! We discuss this a lot even as current students because we don't have many options available to us either. For research check out Zooniverse, for shadowing there are tons of virtual options and many have ways to verify the time by taking a quick quiz or something, you can find free courses to learn how to become a contact tracer to tie in something with helping during the pandemic, and I will message you a list of some other possible volunteer options!

Hi everyone,

I know this question has been discussed a lot in recent years, but I was just wondering if there was anyone in this thread who chose BM over Goucher? Currently deciding between the two, and everyone seems to say “Goucher is better because smaller class size” but wondering if anyone had any different perspectives, especially those who chose BM? Thanks!! :)
Sounds like you've probably seen the other threads floating around SDN on this topic, so I don't have a lot to add other than mentioning the financial perspective which may be relevant depending on how you plan to pay for your post-bacc. I chose Goucher for a few different reasons (interview vibe, location preference, and of course class size), but not least among them was the fact that it is a certificate-granting program and therefore eligible for Graduate PLUS loans to make up the difference between regular FA and total COA. If I'd gone to BM I would have had to take out private loans which should be avoided when possible. I don't know the ins and outs of FA very well (my relatively high debt from undergrad + grad degrees might affect my borrowing eligibility) but if cost and funding are concerns for you then it might be worth reaching out to the programs to get details about this! Also I believe @vext840 chose BM >Goucher so maybe they can chime in about their decision :)

Hi yes! I did choose to go to Bryn Mawr when deciding between the two schools.

I have ties to the area as I live in Philadelphia currently and have personal connections to the town of Bryn Mawr, so that influenced my decision in a way that might not be relevant to others. What I find interesting about the programs’ locations and relationships to their nearest cities through volunteer work is similar in both cases—each is in an outlying area of an East Coast city that suffers from disparities while also being home to world renowned medical centers, so there are incredible opportunities to volunteer as well as, I think, a real obligation to do so.

In terms of positive distinguishing features for me at Bryn Mawr, I think that a cohort of ~80 people is not too large (my UG class was a similar size, and I liked that a lot), while also being big enough to provide some more variety and extra networking options. I like that there’s just one professor for each class (i.e. bio, physics, and chem) and that they stay with you for the whole year. The bio professor in particular is someone who I know has been with the program for a long time and really knows the ins and outs of the material, as such, and also as preparation for medical school. I like the committee organization for extracurricular activities—it’s a very Quaker set up, and it’s nice to have some fun leadership opportunities while connecting with classmates and indulging in much needed outside interests. To the extent that one might have free time to explore Baltimore or Philadelphia, which honestly might not be too often, I think that both are amazing. Philly is larger, though, and by dint of that fact has more options, ranging between a mix of esteemed institutions and emerging movements.

@SpeakMed is right about the loan situation as far as I can understand it. I’m still waiting to receive more information from the school after having submitted my FAFSA materials, but although I’m not eligible for Grad PLUS loans, I think (?) there’s still the possibility of taking out Federal Direct loans if one hasn’t already done so for a “fifth” year of UG education. I wish I could say more about this, and others should feel more than free to correct me (!), but that’s my understanding so far.

Congratulations on your acceptances and know that there’s no bad option between the two of them. Consider the vibes you got during your interview and what kinds of environment in which you feel most supported. If you have any questions, you can dm me. I’ve been able to sit in on classes a couple of times in person, which I know wasn’t really possible this cycle, and I’ve talked to quite a few people who went to the program with whom I connected either through being in Philadelphia or through the alumni network at my UG.

Has anyone going to BM heard anything about housing/have any plans? I know they said they’d send us something but it’s getting kind of close and I’m getting apprehensive.

Did anyone find any success in getting old ACT scores? ACT is telling me that it's not possible to get them prior to 2011, currently. Some of these programs require official reports. Any guidance?
i submitted a request for scores from 2007 in september and it was completed at some point in the past month. Covid really did a number on them I guess. I didn't know they had shut down older requests completely, though.

i submitted a request for scores from 2007 in september and it was completed at some point in the past month. Covid really did a number on them I guess. I didn't know they had shut down older requests completely, though.

Last edited:
Yes, my test is also from 2007. I've been trying the past couple months, calling and emailing. Their response was that they accepted the additional score report forms last year but stopped taking them in November for processing. They have no estimated time as to when the scores pre-2011 will become available and to just keep checking the website. Not sure how the schools will handle this issue as it is out of our control? When applying to GWU, their website said you could send official high transcripts that included the scores in lieu of official score reports from the testing company, but I'm not sure if other programs will accept the same.
I submitted the request through snail mail. My account was so old that I couldn't access online.