Possible to Get Ahead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the truth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to medical school this summer and, while it's still very early, I'm interested in pursuing plastic surgery. I'm aware of how difficult it is to obtain a spot, so I'm looking to start building now. My question is: if you were in my position, what would you do to maximize your chances?

Rumor has it that LOR are huge, especially if you can get them from the big dawgs in the field. What's the best way to do this? Contact via email and ask to spend time in the office? Would it help to begin a research project (which I plan to do anyway) in a prominent plastic surgery lab in the area? What about the the thread 'Best Medical Schools for Plastics?' Does the medical school really matter? Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

the truth said:
I will be applying to medical school this summer and, while it's still very early, I'm interested in pursuing plastic surgery. I'm aware of how difficult it is to obtain a spot, so I'm looking to start building now. My question is: if you were in my position, what would you do to maximize your chances?

Rumor has it that LOR are huge, especially if you can get them from the big dawgs in the field. What's the best way to do this? Contact via email and ask to spend time in the office? Would it help to begin a research project (which I plan to do anyway) in a prominent plastic surgery lab in the area? What about the the thread 'Best Medical Schools for Plastics?' Does the medical school really matter? Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pick another program!!!

The truth is that once you get into Med school. The hoops you have to jump through are even bigger and higher than the ones required to get into school. It seems like it will never stop! And it doesnt, at least if you want to go into plastics. Get into a top 10 school if you can, and go AOA, research is key, but if you are in a top 10 school you will find that competing in a med school with 100-150 other OCD, neurotic, anxiety prone guys/gals just like you is just a bit time consuming. Thus the dilemma, school, LOR's, Research there is no secret, everybody knows the answers not just you but still, you gotta have 'em all... just be prepared for it all, high intensity... but you cant burn out.

Good luck

ludakris

Thanks Ludakris. Any other suggestions about how to proceed? Please PM.

Thank You