Integrated from prelim/research year possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuaerensIntelle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 2 months into my fourth year of medical school and realizing that I might want to be a plastic surgeon. I actually planned my fourth year to do another competitive specialty and didn't schedule *any* surgical rotations for the beginning of the year. In addition, I don't think that I could get a strong letter from my gen-surg rotation attendings. At this point I don't know how I would match in integrated or general surgery categorical for that matter.

I have good scores (250+ step 1, 260+ step 2), good grades (only one non-honors, in surgery...of all things), plastics research (though no publications yet), other research (no pubs yet), and could probably get 1-2 plastics letters from my research mentors. (my home institution has no residency affiliation...)

Basically, I think (know?) that I'm out of luck for matching integrated this year. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of people matching from surgical prelims,transitional years, or research years before or if gen surg + fellowship would be my only option at this point.

Really apprecaite any advice/information you can give me. My school is a bit weak on the advising front. I apologize if this is a repeat/inappropriate question for this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all you are not "out of luck" for matching into plastics. Integrated programs look very highly upon scores and research. Rotations are important too, but I'd say secondary. I would apply for away rotations, even though its late. Some of the smaller schools with less rotating students might still have spots available, which could lead to a strong letter.

That being said, it is very possible to match next year out of a prelim spot. I had a friend apply to integrated PRS and not match, and he took a prelim gen surg spot and applied again and matched integrated. Its all about those scores, scores, scores.

Try to match this year, its worth a shot

First of all you are not "out of luck" for matching into plastics. Integrated programs look very highly upon scores and research. Rotations are important too, but I'd say secondary. I would apply for away rotations, even though its late. Some of the smaller schools with less rotating students might still have spots available, which could lead to a strong letter.

That being said, it is very possible to match next year out of a prelim spot. I had a friend apply to integrated PRS and not match, and he took a prelim gen surg spot and applied again and matched integrated. Its all about those scores, scores, scores.

Try to match this year, its worth a shot

So are you saying that research > rotation Honors? I know Step scores are at the top but this is the first time I've heard research being more important than Honors. I'd appreciate any clarification. Thanks.