possible personal statement prob

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I created my personal statement I did it in microsoft word. I saved it as a .doc. Then I cut and pasted it into the Eras system. Then submitted it and it has been uploaded by half of my programs. The problem is that I did not save it as a .txt file before cutting and pasting. To see if it would potentially be ok, I resaved the original .doc as a .txt and there was no change in any of the characters. Does this mean that when program directors open it up, that it will be alright. I am really worried about this potential dilemma. Thanks for any input.

NF

Members don't see this ad.

normalforce said:
When I created my personal statement I did it in microsoft word. I saved it as a .doc. Then I cut and pasted it into the Eras system. Then submitted it and it has been uploaded by half of my programs. The problem is that I did not save it as a .txt file before cutting and pasting. To see if it would potentially be ok, I resaved the original .doc as a .txt and there was no change in any of the characters. Does this mean that when program directors open it up, that it will be alright. I am really worried about this potential dilemma. Thanks for any input.

NF
Thats a tough one ... it depends on how the ERAS scanning engine would treat the scanning process of the MS Word's rtf formatted doc. To conclude that the process of copying the contents of the Word doc in your VM on a PC (and then save it as a text file) would be following the same kind of RTF conversion algorithms (that strips out the Word's formatting codes, to yield the pure 8-bit ASCII text characters), as those, that are followed by the ERAS's scanning engine there, may not be correct. I've heard that it goofs off with the formating quite a bit.

Even though they uploaded it already do you think it is ok to resubmit a corrected (ie. .txt) version of the document. Because even though it is uploaded, I doubt that they have looked at it yet. Will that work?

I would definitely resubmit a text version. Can you have whoever helps you out applying to residency at your school pull up the old version through ERAS? If it looks OK that should put your mind at ease.

normalforce said:
Even though they uploaded it already do you think it is ok to resubmit a corrected (ie. .txt) version of the document. Because even though it is uploaded, I doubt that they have looked at it yet. Will that work?

The same situation would apply if you discovered mistakes in your PS...you can always submit a revised, corrected version to the residency programs. When their software periodically downloads updates from ERAS, the new version will overwrite the old version. However, if the residency program has already printed out a hard copy of your PS, then I'm not sure what happens.

(This is covered in the "Help" section of ERAS...I just read about it last night.)

I resaved my PS as a .txt file and sent it in. I doubt any programs have printed apps, so I should be alright. Thanks for everyone help.

NF

normalforce said:
I resaved my PS as a .txt file and sent it in. I doubt any programs have printed apps, so I should be alright. Thanks for everyone help.

NF

Why don't you just open the file from the eras site and see if it has any red question marks showing up in it. If it does then you need to resubmit, if it looks normal to you then it will look fine to the PD's.