All Branch Topic (ABT) Possible administration discharge due to failure of ADAPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdt672002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will make this short, I am possibly facing an administration discharge for failure of ADAPT program for ETOH use. The back story is that last year I was diagnosed with Pancreatitis and the Air Force determined the cause was for excessive ETOH abuse. Forced me to enroll in the ADAPT program and sent me to rehab. I successfully completed rehab and was sober for almost 6 months until I had an relapse episode due to family situations. So now the ADAPT wants to fail me because of program failure and my command is leaning towards administration separation. I have no legal issues for any alcohol related situations and currently actively participating in a 12 steps program. I have one year left for my contract as well until I was due for separation. So my question is, how does administrative discharge look when trying to apply for license and future jobs? Am I screwed and will not be able to obtain a state license and future employment as a doctor? Kind of freaking out about the future any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your license and local credentials were never pulled due to anything related to this stuff you will be able to continue practicing so long as you can find a job. The ADSEP can be Honorable, General, Other than Honorable. This is where it could impact your ability to find an employer. You should find out the specifics of their ADSEP for your situation and consult with your local JAG. The only issue would be on the civilian application if it asks whether or not you've had a military discharge which was other than honorable.

I am definitely not a legal professional and don't have personal experience, but these are the things I have heard and discussed via third parties. Anybody have more specifics on how the ADSEP will reflect (or if it will even come up) during the job hunt?

Lawyer up, as in yesterday.

You have way too much at stake to wing it; you need a BTDT civilian attorney with military experience. You really only get one shot at a good DD214.

good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The state medical boards have substance abuse programs to keep your license, but you have to stay sober. You have to go to meetings and provide lots of urine.

I think practicing with a history of alcoholism is definitely possible. You'd need to self-enroll in an impaired physician program as soon as you're out of the military, and you'd need to stay clean and involved. It goes without saying, and I don't mean to downplay whatever issues put you in this position, but square those things away one way or another.

But as mentioned above: a dishonorable discharge is your biggest enemy at the moment. Get a lawyer, and get one who has your interests at heart because you're paying him to do so.

I presume you have an unrestricted medical license, seeing as you’re a year from the end of your ADSO. Have you told your medical board about this?

I do have a unrestricted medical license and currently getting enrolled in the PHP monitoring program for my state. From what I have read, this would be a general discharge and not a dishonorable discharge. Nothing has been set in stone for the ADSEP but I just want to be as informed as possible. I appreciate all of your responses and concerns. The PHP monitoring program keeps a tight handle on you and require meetings and random urine analysis. The other docs that are in my similar situation, except the ADSEP, did not have any issues with finding a job. From what they told me, they just want to ensure that you're in the monitoring program and staying sober.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
want to ensure that your in the monitoring program and staying sober.
Having never been involved personally in the process, this is what they advertise. I'm a fairly cynical person, but I still think a lot of state programs like this really do want to keep you working. As long as you toe the line.

I do have a unrestricted medical license and currently getting enrolled in the PHP monitoring program for my state. From what I have read, this would be a general discharge and not a dishonorable discharge. Nothing has been set in stone for the ADSEP but I just want to be as informed as possible. I appreciate all of your responses and concerns. The PHP monitoring program keeps a tight handle on you and require meetings and random urine analysis. The other docs that are in my similar situation, except the ADSEP, did not have any issues with finding a job. From what they told me, they just want to ensure that your in the monitoring program and staying sober.
Unless you have performance issues associated with the discharge, you should receive an administrative discharge under honorable conditions (unless there is more you aren't telling us). The military is separating you out of their convenience; they expected to cure you of EtOH abuse with their program and evidently that did not work as planned. You should consult qualified legal counsel, because as others have said, it is far easier to get good paper the first time than to try to change things later. I recommend you not settle for any terms other than "honorable." No "general" or "other than honorable," fight that if you must.

You cannot be given a dishonorable discharge as an officer; the commissioned officer equivalent, which is awarded only after convictions by general courts martial is a dismissal (which is as negative as a DD for enlisted, loss of many privileges, V.A. benefits, right to own a firearm, all bad, but probably not relevant here.)

Interesting, I just assumed that since I didn't finish my commitment and the ADSEP could only be a general discharge. No performance related issues, granted this will result in a referral OPR.

Officers don't get dishonorable discharges. They get dismissed, usually from a court martial.