Possibility of medical DQ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doodle4210

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Recently decided to apply MDSSP and I'm having my first meeting with my recruiter next week but I'm hoping to get ahead of any possible medical DQ problems. Here are the issues I'm kind of concerned about:
-spontaneous pneumothorax (left side) in May 2018. Hospitalized for 5 days with chest tube, pleurodesis and wedge resection. No issues since then. Radiologist report from initial CT also says "There is probable small apical bullae on the right as well". Surgeon said that elective removal of the bullae on the other side is not medically necessary. Already acquired and sent all the records from the hospital stay and surgery.
-I saw a therapist when I was in high school although I was never diagnosed with anything. It was just my way of dealing with the inevitable stress of grades and college apps but I'm not sure if the Army will see it that way.

Edit: My question is whether y'all think I might have major issues with DQ and whether there's anything I can do to get ahead of these issues.

Members don't see this ad.

AR 40-501 and DoDI 6130.03, March 30, 2018 (I think this is the latest, but not 100% sure) are your friends in that they will give you the rules of the game.

Google both and read/search your concerns.

per
DoDI 6130.03
o. History of spontaneous pneumothorax occurring within the past 2 years, or pneumothorax due to trauma or surgery occurring within the past year.

So, it seems you will just sneak under the wire

My reading (DoDI 6130.03) of the mental disorders that DQ an applicant only seem to apply to diagnosed disorders. FWIW, chatting with a therapist about grade, test and college application stress in HS doesn't rise to the level of disorder in my opinion. I encourage you to read that section and see if, in good conscience, you can not mention the counseling.

Others here may agree or disagree, so I hope othersl chime in,

Good luck

Regardless of how this works out, you should probably see a geneticist to evaluate for the various pneumothorax genetic syndromes such a Birt Hogg Dube to make sure you aren't at risk for other medical issues.