Porridge too hot? or too cold?.. UIC vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altoid25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought if I gave this thread an extremely lame title, people may be more inclined to give some feedback? Haha anways, I have been incredibly lucky this year in sneaking through the admissions process with two Chi-town acceptances. However, as much as I wish I could just combine both schools into one and attend that hybrid, I can't. Also, I know that this topic has been discussed extensively in the past, however after perusing those threads I would still like some current input.

Anyways, here is my list of comparison tools.

Cost : wash.. discussed extensively, but UIC jacks up the price 3rd and 4th year + higher COL in the city compared to Forest Park/Oak Park (Loyola). I would end up saving maybe 15K total going to UIC.

Location: UIC. I was born and raised outside of Chicago and I know how much more there is to do in the city compared to "chicago-land area".

Facilities: Loyola. They are nice and new.

Clinical Training: Honestly don't really know about this one. Loyola has a level 1 trauma center and a VA. UIC has the med-district, Stroger, VA as well. I feel like either would provide adequate clinical training.

Curriculum: Again, both are polar opposites. UIC is oldschool with longitudinal lectures spanning 6-8 hours per day. Loyola is more condensed and block scheduling, but much lighter course-load. However, considering medicine is a team sport, I appreciate the problem based-group learning addition at loyola. After-all we aren't going to be isolated rogue physicians at the end of the tunnel.

Environment: This is where I have been biased and would like some first hand feedback from UIC students in particular. Loyola seems to emphasize teamwork and promote more of a community/family. I've heard stories about the competitiveness at UIC and that a large portion of the class is not happy and frankly don't even know each other. Again the UIC stories have been "hear-say" and I haven't gotten any direct feedback so I would appreciate to be told differently!

Research: Not at all a factor for me. I realize one must do it(for certain residencies) to "play the game", but not interested in being a physician/scientist at all. Therefore, the US News rankings really do not factor in to my decision making at all.

Faculty: Any input on this would help as I do not know anything about either schools faculty.

About me---> I am very social person and am excited to bond with my future classmates. I do not want to go to a school where people do not interact with each other outside of the class. I also do not want to live by the whole "delayed gratification" idea. I want a school that will allow me to do well without being a complete miserable recluse while doing so. Also, my family and girlfriend are both in Chicago-land and would be happy with either choice.

Please help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

so i'm not knowledgeable about either of these schools (guess your title worked on me?), but i think you may already know where you want to go....

i had to make the same kind of decision recently, and this is the advice someone gave me, so i'll pass it along (i think it's pretty applicable to your situation as well) - read over what you wrote above; you seem to have a pretty clear preference for one of the schools.

remember, you,re the only person that can really know where you'll be happy.

Actually, you wind up paying only $4000 more in tuition over 4 years at Loyola. The difference in cost of living makes up for it so really it's virtually equal, if not cheaper to go to Loyola, but as you said, in the big picture it's a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.