~*~Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2011!!!!~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all!

I wanted to know aprox how much does a first year PSM student spend on books because I'm still figuring out the whole loan thing and would like to have an idea of how much I will REALLY be spending on books and supplies (equipment???). If anyone wants to share some of their numbers, that would give me a good idea of how much to ask for... but it's not necessary, any help would be wonderful.

I'm rooting for all of you that still haven't heard from the admissions committee, the wait must be unbearable by now but I hope to see you all in July.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So does ponce have clinical rotations in California? I couldn't seem to find that out. I'm applying to Ponce, St. George's, and Ross but I think that Ponce would be the best just because I could have the bilingual thing going for me which is what I want to be. A bilingual doctor. I really want to come back and go to California after the 2yr. basic sciences though. Thanks for the help!

So does ponce have clinical rotations in California? I couldn't seem to find that out. I'm applying to Ponce, St. George's, and Ross but I think that Ponce would be the best just because I could have the bilingual thing going for me which is what I want to be. A bilingual doctor. I really want to come back and go to California after the 2yr. basic sciences though. Thanks for the help!

when I was a fourth year at ponce 5 months of your 4th year schedule were for elective, you can do them anywhere but the insurance coverage that each program is asking for has to be inside the maximum Ponce is paying for the students.

I recommend ponce because its LCME.

PSM is an accredited LCME US medical school and as such, it can only follow the rules and guidelines of US med schools.

So you HAVE to spend all of your 3rd year at PSM and you can have 5 elective months of your 4th year at any LCME accredited institution.

That works out to a maximum of 4 months during the first semester of 4th year (the semester that counts, i.e. before the match).

If it's really important for you to spend ALL YOUR CLINICAL YEARS..TWO YEARS in California, PSM is not the school for you. You´d have to either enrol in a California Med School or go to a non-LCME accredited med school where some allow you to do your clinical years wherever you choose.

Hope that helps some!

Good luck and cheers

Caetano

Has anybody been accepted lately. I keep on calling the school and they tell me that they have not evaluated my file yet, and I was wondering if anyone has been contacted by PSM. They wait is killing me :eek:

Has anybody been accepted lately. I keep on calling the school and they tell me that they have not evaluated my file yet, and I was wondering if anyone has been contacted by PSM. They wait is killing me :eek:

Well, I too have been on the edge of my seat as I backpack through S. America and it's a little frustrating not knowing what you will be doing in less than a month. I say just keep your morale up and wait for that email. That's what I'm doing. Good luck.

Coincidentally, I am also vacationing in S. America waiting to hear something from Ponce. I have not heard a word yet, just waiting.....and waiting....and waiting...you know how it goes.

when did you guys interview

when did you guys interview

I interviewed March 5th...almost 4 months ago. I called about 4 days ago and they said perhaps by the end of the month or the beginning of July they will know something. We´ll see what happens.

Just found out that the the LCME has just accredited another school in PR, San Juan Bautista school of medicine. So there are now 4 accredited med schools on the island.

Just found out that the the LCME has just accredited another school in PR, San Juan Bautista school of medicine. So there are now 4 accredited med schools on the island.

Evidence? Links? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Evidence? Links? Thanks

Actually a student there told me. They are all celebrating the news this weekend. They recieved the news friday evening so there shouldnt be much news out yet. Mig26x, another poster and recent Ponce graduate also confirmed the news, as he spoke directly with the administration at the school. Official confirmation will have to wait until this week I guess. I will post any links or "evidence" as I come by it. But it does look pretty solid.

i was wondering when students will be arriving in ponce to start the year. . . .i have a car for sale, and would like to know when i should start looking for you guys.

a question for the current students and alums of PSM:

how typical is this agonizing wait to hear/receive any information at all from the school? i know the stories about the kids who hear from a school a week before orientation and the day before orientation -nation wide- but how many more students will realistically hear from Ponce that they are in at this point? on average two students? five? ten? fifteen?

when you arrived at orientation what was the percentage of students that bonded over their grueling wait on the waitlist to hear from the school?

thx!

Late acceptances:

I can only go by my year, where in my class of 67, 3 students were accepted the FRIDAY BEFORE orientation and 1 the SECOND WEEK of orientation.

So this year, it's anybody's guess.

One girl was on the PSM waiting list and accepted at Saint Georges, so she decided to go to SGU. Later, she got a late acceptance at PSM, decided to GO to PSM and cancel SGU. She consequently lost her SGU deposit (we're talking several THOUSANDS of dollars) and started PSM the 2nd week of orientation!

So who the hell knows.

Good luck

Caetano

I know this is a Ponce thread, but this information might be of interest to some of you. Its official, San Juan Bautista has been accredited by the LCME. They posted it on their website: http://www.sanjuanbautista.edu/Default.aspx#

According to their website Admissions for the entering 2007 class are STILL OPEN! So if that might be another option for many of you guys. Good Luck. :thumbup:

I know this is a Ponce thread, but this information might be of interest to some of you. Its official, San Juan Bautista has been accredited by the LCME. They posted it on their website: http://www.sanjuanbautista.edu/Default.aspx#

According to their website Admissions for the entering 2007 class are STILL OPEN! So if that might be another option for many of you guys. Good Luck. :thumbup:

To continue off topic, I told my mom that I was going to apply to SJB as a backup plan since PSM is taking forever to notify me...she asked for evidence as I previously did and said I had none other than some posts on SDN, their website, and wikipedia, but that wasn't good enough. She took it upon herself to email LCME directly and below is their response. I know this is off topic, but many people checking this forum are in my shoes also and may also feel so inclined to apply. Good luck.

Dear Mrs. ---------:

At its June 5-7, 2007, meeting, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) granted accreditation to the medical education program leading to the M.D. degree at the San Juan Bautista School of Medicine in Caguas, Puerto Rico. The decision to grant accreditation will take effect at the beginning of academic year 2007-2008, and apply to all students enrolled in the M.D. program and taking coursework leading to the completion of the M.D. degree at that time.

Susan S. Mortensen
Manager, Accreditation Services
AAMC Section for LCME and Accreditation Services

hey guys,

I got a call from the admissions office a few hours ago and they told me I was accepted! I am so excited! Is anyone in Ponce now? If there are any current med students or recent grads around, I would love to meet up for some coffee or something. I have tons of questions I think i will be flying down in the next few days to try and take care of housing and some other stuff. any recommendations? well thanks guys and see you all in a few weeks

Will

Congrats. on being accepted.

Did you also recieve an email letting you know that you got accepted?

yes i got an email about 2 hours after the phone call

Congrats. That is great news. I will be headed down to Ponce on July 2. I think that we should try to all meet up before orientation.:)

Congrats!!!! I'm up for getting together before orientation... just let me know when because I will be moving down to Ponce in the next couple of weeks. :-D

That's great. I remember last year, I got accepted only 2 weeks before orientation and I got to Ponce only a few days before orientations started. You guys are really taking your time to settle before school starts and that's a good thing. Remember to party a lot during orientations. It's a shame I won't be back untill a day before class but so is most of second years. We'll def. be doing something then. Take care.

I'm IN. See you guys in about two weeks. PSM Class of 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::D

Congrats!! I'm so happy for all of you cause I know how it feels =0) See you all on the 16th! or maybe before, I like Nataly's idea of meeting up before orientation!!

ekimsurfer congratulations :thumbup:
FINALLY! :laugh:

You know what? I just noticed that I have ekimsurfer on my Facebook friends and didn't even know it ;-)

Hello all!

Congrats to the Class of 2011! I will be applying for the class of 2012 and am looking into the three schools of Puerto Rico. I was a Spanish major but have been out of college for some time now. I was wondering if you admittees or current students of PR schools could comment as to how you think someone who is not totally fluent would survive in the Puerto Rican schools. I just think it is a great opportunity to become completely bilingual (pretty much by force), but I don't want to be at such a disadvantage that I would be hindered in learning the material. I understand that the powerpoints and tests are in English. Please comment on any of the above. I would greatly appreciate it! !Muchas gracias!

SLYSTX

Hello all!

Congrats to the Class of 2011! I will be applying for the class of 2012 and am looking into the three schools of Puerto Rico. I was a Spanish major but have been out of college for some time now. I was wondering if you admittees or current students of PR schools could comment as to how you think someone who is not totally fluent would survive in the Puerto Rican schools. I just think it is a great opportunity to become completely bilingual (pretty much by force), but I don't want to be at such a disadvantage that I would be hindered in learning the material. I understand that the powerpoints and tests are in English. Please comment on any of the above. I would greatly appreciate it! !Muchas gracias!

SLYSTX

I'm interested in this as well.

I was looking at the MSAR and out of the 729 non-residents that applied to Universidad Central del Caribe only 26 got interviewed I was wondering do they interview everyone who meets there requirements, or say someone has an MCAT score of a 24 and someone else has a 30 would they interview the person with the 30 and not the 24, or do they interview them both because they both have above the minimum MCAT score that the school requires? Where did the 703 other people go wrong? I am fluent in Spanish, mcat 24, gpa 3.3 and strong clinical experience, I was wondering what are my chances of getting an interview, and I am not a resident.

OMG! I am definitely applying to PONCE. Did you see all those hot latinas drinking and partying? I am taking another year of Spanish and going for it!!

:laugh:

Welcome to the official Ponce School of Medicine Class of 2011 thread!

This is the place to make contacts with future classmates and to share any relevant and useful information about PSM's admissions, interview cycle, etc.

Good luck!
Why is Ponce in the "Caribbean" thread, its an LCME school.

Why is Ponce in the "Caribbean" thread, its an LCME school.

Good question. As long as I've been on SDN, this is where ALL the info on PR schools has been, and that's been very little information.

If you look on previous posts you might find some of the information you need about PR schools. What exactly would you like to know? Maybe I could help.

It was a general comment. I'm a PR believer without questions. Compared to other US allo schools, only maybe North Dakota gets less publicity on SDN than the PR schools. See the UCC thread below - apparently nobody from UCC ever reads SDN.

It was a general comment. I'm a PR believer without questions. Compared to other US allo schools, only maybe North Dakota gets less publicity on SDN than the PR schools. See the UCC thread below - apparently nobody from UCC ever reads SDN.

The fact that the PR schools are not as well known is probably good news for many people. Not many on SDN know that there are four, yes FOUR LCME accredited medical schools in PR. Those same people also dont realize that those 4 schools are considered US medical schools, so when graduates apply to residencies they are regarded as US med school graduates, not IMG's.
I think of them as hidden gems in the US that not many people take the time to know.

there is anybody applying to 2012 PSM class?

Yeah, I applied for class of 2012. PR is actually my first choice, but I'm not from PR and I'm not hispanic. I can speak Spanish, though. How about you? Have you heard anything yet?

Yeah, I applied for class of 2012. PR is actually my first choice, but I'm not from PR and I'm not hispanic. I can speak Spanish, though. How about you? Have you heard anything yet?

Heyy... I'm from PR ,actually I live in Yauco ,a city really close to Ponce. I did'nt heard anything so far, but I think the interviews start in spring.:)

Hi All,

I officially applied to Ponce, UCC, and the newly accredited San Juan Bautista School Of Medicine. I'm excited because these schools emphasize work with the underserved, which is what I'm ideally looking for in a school (a la Howard and Morehouse, and Downstate). Anyway, I've seen this asked but I can't say that many/any have really answered. I have taken literally only 2 classes (8 credits) of Spanish classes like 2 years ago over the summer. :-\ I just received info from UCC and Ponce for the supplemental information they require...I have to say I'm worried! UCC had the intro letter and info brochure in Spanish, Ponce had one page of their attachment in Spanish too. I was able to muddle though the info, but I'm DEFINITLY NOT fluent. I'm thinking about taking another class this spring, or maybe the first summer session if I get in...but what about the interview? Will I need to be able to show fluency there? I would love to be fully bilingual, and I think the PR schools provide a solid education, but am I wasting my time applying if I'm not fluent now??? PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

I officially applied to Ponce, UCC, and the newly accredited San Juan Bautista School Of Medicine. I'm excited because these schools emphasize work with the underserved, which is what I'm ideally looking for in a school (a la Howard and Morehouse, and Downstate). Anyway, I've seen this asked but I can't say that many/any have really answered. I have taken literally only 2 classes (8 credits) of Spanish classes like 2 years ago over the summer. :-\ I just received info from UCC and Ponce for the supplemental information they require...I have to say I'm worried! UCC had the intro letter and info brochure in Spanish, Ponce had one page of their attachment in Spanish too. I was able to muddle though the info, but I'm DEFINITLY NOT fluent. I'm thinking about taking another class this spring, or maybe the first summer session if I get in...but what about the interview? Will I need to be able to show fluency there? I would love to be fully bilingual, and I think the PR schools provide a solid education, but am I wasting my time applying if I'm not fluent now??? PLEASE HELP!

Hi. ..well, PSM, UCC ,and SJB are full bilingual schools, and PR first language is spanish, and everybody out of campus ( Ex; third year rotations) will speak only spanish, in addition, I think the interviews are in both languages,so, I definitely, encouraged you to learn spanish.:)

Hi. ..well, PSM, UCC ,and SJB are full bilingual schools, and PR first language is spanish, and everybody out of campus ( Ex; third year rotations) will speak only spanish, in addition, I think the interviews are in both languages,so, I definitely, encouraged you to learn spanish.:)
I know that if I were to attend the school and live in PR Spanish will be useful (although there is plenty of english spoken too). Thanks for your response but what I'm trying to fiure out short of becoming completly bilingual in Spanish between now and a possible interview...is it worth me applying as I am now. I plan to learn spanish even if I don't get ot a PR school, but do I need to be fully bilingual inorder to successfully apply? I'm hoping ideally a current or former student might be able to answer this for me from personal experience (or knowedge of a friends experience).

thanks!