This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which school would you choose If you are accepted into these schools

• UNC

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • UCSF

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • University of Michigan

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • UIC

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • UCSD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dreamer122

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been fortunate to have been accepted into UNC and University of Michigan. Both schools are out of state so tuition is both 40k/year for me. Both are very well known for pharmacy. If you were me, which school would you pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tuition not your concern?

University of Michigan:

Tuition and Fees | UM College of Pharmacy

UNC:

Pharm.D. Tuition and Fees - UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy

Still need to consider Cost of Living as well. Thus if you had to pick, this fact still remains: Go to the cheapest school. Student loans with compounded interest over time on six figure debt will drain you if you are not careful choosing.

For this field, here’s yet another reason to choose cheaper cost: what do you call a pharmacy student who graduated top of the class from a top school vs a pharmacy student who graduated bottom of the class at the lowest ranking school?

A pharmacist.

Have a contingency plan when choosing this career. Saturation is real...Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I have been fortunate to have been accepted into UNC and University of Michigan. Both schools are out of state so tuition is both 40k/year for me. Both are very well known for pharmacy. If you were me, which school would you pick and why?
You forgot the “none of the above” option for those who want to vote “don’t go to pharmacy school, the profession is a scam”

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

You forgot the option "cheapest school to go". Pick which ever school is cheap. At the end of day, you will be a pharmacist no matter what school you attend as long you pass NAPLEX and MPJE. This is not med school or dental school where school matters. If you plan to apply for pharmacy residency, it still won't matter what pharmacy school you choose. It's all about high GPA, activities, and leadership. So, pick cheapest school and go.

You forgot the “none of the above” option for those who want to vote “don’t go to pharmacy school, the profession is a scam”
Agree, they all expensive af. When I saw those schools, all I saw is $$$$$. Yikes

I’m in the same situation.
Unfortunately, I don’t belong to any state, so I have to pay oos tuition at any pharmacy school.

I’m in the same situation.
Unfortunately, I don’t belong to any state, so I have to pay oos tuition at any pharmacy school.

Some OOS programs allow you to apply the following year for the instate tuition rate (not all but some). Research which programs do. Also, keep in mind all out of state programs do not cost the same. Many programs are much much higher on top of COLA.

Hi all,

OP I noticed you changed your original question to simulate same OOS cost. Consider COLA for each region as tuition is not the only thing you must consider.

Family Budget Calculator

Compare each different state and city cost of living...Its more than tuition you must consider.

Save your $$$$$$$$ wherever you can when choosing. Congrats btw

Congrats. All three are top notch schools. Graduating from either one of them may help you with finding a job or residency, but I don't know if it will help you negotiate a better salary? With 40k tuition a year and living expenses, do you think you will end up with over 200k in debt? Assuming you will be making $50/hr as a pharmacist or 80-90k a year, would it be worth it?

Congrats. All three are top notch schools. Graduating from either one of them may help you with finding a job or residency, but I don't know if it will help you negotiate a better salary? With 40k tuition a year and living expenses, do you think you will end up with over 200k in debt? Assuming you will be making $50/hr as a pharmacist or 80-90k a year, would it be worth it?

I dont think where you graduate even helps with job much anymore. It's just who you know and some random luck and prayers. Welcome to the hunger pharmacy games. Pharmacy school is not worth it at all. Top 5 worse debt:income ratio.
https://clark.com/education/graduate-degrees-debt-to-income-ratios/

Whichever one is cheapest. I went to U of M for my undergrad. FYI, at the undergraduate level, they would switch you to in-state after living in state for a year. At least this was back in my day. I don't know if that's a thing with the Pharmacy school. Worth looking into.

OP I noticed you changed your original question to simulate same OOS cost. Consider COLA for each region as tuition is not the only thing you must consider.

Family Budget Calculator

Compare each different state and city cost of living...Its more than tuition you must consider.

Save your $$$$$$$$ wherever you can when choosing. Congrats btw
Thank you for helping! I agree tuition is the most important concern when it comes to decide pharmacy school. I live in San Diego, California, so in state tuition is almost similar to out of state tuition which is around 40k/year. I have narrowed down my choices to UCSF and UCSD and will interview at both schools in January, I will more likely stay in San Diego and attend UCSD if I could get in, so that I can stay with family in order to save money on housing. I think UCSD is the best option for me in terms of picking the "cheapest" school. Thank you all for your advice!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for helping! I agree tuition is the most important concern when it comes to decide pharmacy school. I live in San Diego, California, so in state tuition is almost similar to out of state tuition which is around 40k/year. I have narrowed down my choices to UCSF and UCSD and will interview at both schools in January, I will more likely stay in San Diego and attend UCSD if I could get in, so that I can stay with family in order to save money on housing. I think UCSD is the best option for me in terms of picking the "cheapest" school. Thank you all for your advice!!

I'm also in the same situation as well. Got accepted to Univ of Illinois, Chicago, Creighton, and Univ of Hawaii. but also being from california, if I get into UCSF, UCSF would probably be best for me since I'm a resident of the state. (also, the weather in Cali, for me is more likable as opposed to Chicago. Having lived in Chicago, the colds are brutal with the wind chill! ><)

I would add to look at other regional opportunities that are found near the pharmacy schools that might have a "demand" or can be alternative options for pharmacy graduates such as biotech and pharmaceutical companies. San Diego and North Carolina do have that advantage compared to Michigan.

I dont think where you graduate even helps with job much anymore. It's just who you know and some random luck and prayers. Welcome to the hunger pharmacy games. Pharmacy school is not worth it at all. Top 5 worse debt:income ratio.
10 graduate degrees that offer the best and worst debt-to-income ratios - Clark Howard
I don't think it has ever really mattered before, but with the saturation getting worse and approaching law levels, don't you think there will come a point where it will actually begin to matter? In theory if you have a surplus of pharmacists, there has to be some way to filter out candidates and quality of education seems to be one of the easiest and most common filters to use.