Podiatry school at 52?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this on behalf of someone close to me, who isn't too tech savvy. They were initially pre-PA, but decided they want to pursue a higher level degree.

cGPA and sGPA: 3.99 (~100 units; has a bachelor's and masters from Asia)

MCAT: 496

Clinical: volunteered for an internist for ~300 hours, who did a lot of sports med treatments involving feet, and actually led them to discover podiatry as a field and wanted to pursue it. Also has some hospice volunteering ~50 hours.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~200 hours

Pod Shadowing: ~40 hours (+ physician shadowing 40 hours)

I know 52 is an unusual age for this field, but their numbers seem to be pretty solid for podiatry schools. Will age be a significant factor in admissions for them? Or do they have a solid shot at all 9 schools? Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Age won't matter.

But do ask your friend- can they handle an 80hr + work week including call and surgeries for 3 years at age 56?

Will they take constructive criticism well from a senior who is 20+ years younger than them?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally wouldn't do it.

Everyone here will beat around the bush.. but hell no. I mean **** no. Are you serious? I’m sure this person could get in.. but why in the world would they do this?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm posting this on behalf of someone close to me, who isn't too tech savvy. They were initially pre-PA, but decided they want to pursue a higher level degree.

cGPA and sGPA: 3.99 (~100 units; has a bachelor's and masters from Asia)

MCAT: 496

Clinical: volunteered for an internist for ~300 hours, who did a lot of sports med treatments involving feet, and actually led them to discover podiatry as a field and wanted to pursue it. Also has some hospice volunteering ~50 hours.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: ~200 hours

Pod Shadowing: ~40 hours (+ physician shadowing 40 hours)

I know 52 is an unusual age for this field, but their numbers seem to be pretty solid for podiatry schools. Will age be a significant factor in admissions for them? Or do they have a solid shot at all 9 schools? Thank you for your input.
Lol no.

On admissions process, probably has a good shot. But I also agree it doesn't mean that this is in the person's best interests. Why podiatry and why now? When was this MCAT score taken?

The exam was taken early 2021 I believe. This person had to put their life on hold for family for 20 years, so I suppose they're looking to pursue something for themselves now. I agree it's going to be very rough for residency, but that's their choice ultimately. I just wanted to let them know if getting into a school was doable or not.

Reactions: 1 user
The exam was taken early 2021 I believe. This person had to put their life on hold for family for 20 years, so I suppose they're looking to pursue something for themselves now. I agree it's going to be very rough for residency, but that's their choice ultimately. I just wanted to let them know if getting into a school was doable or not.
Doable yes.

But it won't be what they envisioned it to be.

I know Scholl had an individual who went in their 50's also after kids were off in school. I would have your friend reach out.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with most of the responses here.

I personally don't think it worth going through because you have to deal with the financial burden, training, schooling, and getting your career to jumpstart pretty late.

I'm not saying that you can't do it. You can...but would it be worth it at the end of the day?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm posting this on behalf of someone close to me, who isn't too tech savvy.
I know I'm a few months late, but this is a red flag. If someone isn't tech savvy enough to post on SDN, why would they be tech savvy enough to pursue a career where so many technical things are significant.

Emails, exams, boards, EarthWalk app for orthotics, even reading radiographs on electrical equipment. Seems weird to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.