Podiatry as an alternative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toshpharmd

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
AACPMAS asks if you've applied to other medical schools. Will this be looked down upon if someone was to answer yes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
AACPMAS asks if you've applied to other medical schools. Will this be looked down upon if someone was to answer yes.
Lots of people apply to MD or DO or other schools/professions before or at the same time as applying to DPM schools. You'll still get accepted into pod school if your stats are decent and you have a halfway convincing reason as to why you think you can thrive in podiatry.

Don't sweat it. And don't lie.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was asked about applying to both DO and DPM programs. Just have a reason for applying to a pod program (other than it's a backup) and you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other replies in this thread, but just a funny little side story...

I applied to both DO and podiatry schools a few months ago. My DO app got processed really quickly, but my podiatry app was held up for awhile even though it wasn't a busy time in the application cycle. Customer service asked me to be patient so I waited a few weeks before contacting them again. I had had my transcripts sent to both apps on the same day and the DO side received them all with no problems btw. It turned out that there had been a mix up at the office (AACPMAS and AACOMAS are located at the same address), and their system showed that one of my missing transcript had gotten posted to the DO side rather than the pod side.

All in all, it wasn't a huge deal but there's another reason you shouldn't lie, in case you needed one!

Last edited:
Weren't a good chunk of members here pushing for something like this anyway? That, basically, schools should target students that applied to other programs and might not have gotten in but have what would be considered good stats for the pod program

Last edited:
Weren't a good chunk of members here pushing for something like this anyway? That, basically, schools should target students that applied to other programs and might not have gotten in but have what would be considered good stats for the pod program
That's already done. Apparently it doesn't work that well.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Tell them you applied to MD schools as a back-up to podiatry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for interviewing Dr Harkless. Your livestream was being a bit weird for me, but it was good in the final video that posted. I kinda wanted to ask him if he ever plans to work on opening a school in Texas. Any insight on that?

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Okay, so here is a question related to applying to DPM. Let's say you did a year of medical school but was dismissed for academic reasons. Is that looked down upon by Pod schools?

Okay, so here is a question related to applying to DPM. Let's say you did a year of medical school but was dismissed for academic reasons. Is that looked down upon by Pod schools?
Of course its going to be looked down upon. Theyre not gonna say, "oh you got dismissed from med school for academic reasons? Cute."

Of course its going to be looked down upon. Theyre not gonna say, "oh you got dismissed from med school for academic reasons? Cute."

But that doesn't mean you won't be able to get in. The curriculum is not much different. You'll have to show them that you can in fact handle curriculum that is in fact very similar. For example lets say you didn't have good grades because you weren't motivated. Why are you now motivated? Whats different, what are you gonna change to ensure you get good grades from now on? Be prepared to answer those questions.

If you don't mind me asking, why weren't you able to handle the med school curriculum?

I don't think it's necessarily a big deal if you can articulate why you are choosing Podiatry (rejection of MD / DO schools is not a good reason). I concur with the other posters who have stated not to lie. It's not hard for them to verify and being caught would be very, very bad for your future in medicine. Not worth it.