podiatrist vs. ortho salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
This question may have been answered already but I am still wondering..

Why do ortho's make twice or three times more in salary than podiatrists for similar or equal surgical procedures?

I'm only taking into account average salaries.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, I believe this has to do with fee discrimination with insurance companies in regards to DPMs. MDs/DOs can get up to twice the compensation of a DPM for doing the same procedure.

From what I know, I believe this has to do with fee discrimination with insurance companies in regards to DPMs. MDs/DOs can get up to twice the compensation of a DPM for doing the same procedure.

I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but there is a provider non-discrimination provision (section 2706) built into the ACA. I know there have been attempts to look at getting it repealed from the ACA, but to my knowledge it is still in place. This provision would prevent insurance companies from paying different providers different amounts for the same procedure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but there is a provider non-discrimination provision (section 2706) built into the ACA. I know there have been attempts to look at getting it repealed from the ACA, but to my knowledge it is still in place. This provision would prevent insurance companies from paying different providers different amounts for the same procedure.

In essence that is what parity is all about right? Same reimbursements, for same procedures regardless what professional letters behind your name you have?

Yes what is mentioned above is the main reason, and something else I think that has to be considered is the fact that no or at least very few Ortho surgeons are strictly foot and ankle. If you find a salary for whats considered and OrthoPod that is of 400k + or however much it will probably not include the expensive hip replacements they did or the shin, and femur repairs. Thats the problem with the internet it gives us vague estimates without including all variables.

Legally DPMs are not considered full physicians, so that is probably a part of it. Hopefully the ACA and if the vision 2015 pans out, then we might get closer in terms of procedure reimbursement.

How hard is it go get hired by an ortho group? Most podiatrists that are aggressive start their own podiatry groups.... and then those podiatry groups have a super podiatry group with 40+ podiatrists.. am I wrong?

How hard is it go get hired by an ortho group? Most podiatrists that are aggressive start their own podiatry groups.... and then those podiatry groups have a super podiatry group with 40+ podiatrists.. am I wrong?

I am not 100% sure but from what I gather about getting hired by an ortho group is being fortunate to find a group that is looking for a f/a surgeon, amount of surgical cases, and connections.

I don't think its 40+ podiatrist I think that is stretching it a little. But the days of owning your own practice are over and most podiatrist work in group practices around ~10ish from what I have seen. I am sure the super groups do exist but I do not think that is the norm.

A few comments. There are NOT two pay scales in some states. I get paid the exact amount as any other doctor performing the same procedure(s). I personally would not practice in any area that paid an orthopod more for the same procedure that I performed.

There are groups, supergroups, etc. However, I would disagree with the comment above about there being a lot of podiatric groups with ten or more docs. I've been to many states and politically involved, and know of very few podiatric groups with 10 doctors. I know of very few with even six or seven docs.

The term supergroup can be misleading. The only "true" supergroup I know is Village Podiatry in Atlanta, founded by Dr. Hellman. This is truly one practice with administrative board, with a lot of offices and doctors. On the other hand, there are newer supergroups which have formed in Ohio, Texas, New Jersey, that are really convenient mergers. These are multiple practices who have merged to share in some expenses, share billing responsibilities, participate in group purchasing, etc. However, each practice still maintains it's autonomy, with each practice making it's own hours, vacations, etc. It really isn't one practice such as Village Podiatry. Each office/practice retains it's own name and as stated, it's own autonomy. These new supergroups are really marriages of convenience, and are more realistically called group practices without walls.

A few comments. There are NOT two pay scales in some states. I get paid the exact amount as any other doctor performing the same procedure(s). I personally would not practice in any area that paid an orthopod more for the same procedure that I performed.

There are groups, supergroups, etc. However, I would disagree with the comment above about there being a lot of podiatric groups with ten or more docs. I've been to many states and politically involved, and know of very few podiatric groups with 10 doctors. I know of very few with even six or seven docs.

The term supergroup can be misleading. The only "true" supergroup I know is Village Podiatry in Atlanta, founded by Dr. Hellman. This is truly one practice with administrative board, with a lot of offices and doctors. On the other hand, there are newer supergroups which have formed in Ohio, Texas, New Jersey, that are really convenient mergers. These are multiple practices who have merged to share in some expenses, share billing responsibilities, participate in group purchasing, etc. However, each practice still maintains it's autonomy, with each practice making it's own hours, vacations, etc. It really isn't one practice such as Village Podiatry. Each office/practice retains it's own name and as stated, it's own autonomy. These new supergroups are really marriages of convenience, and are more realistically called group practices without walls.

Oh thank you for the clarification. I am assuming many of these groups have intentions of somewhat becoming a geographic monopoly in the future if anything administrative occurs in the state where they build somewhat of a union?... other than the small positive of sharing billing responsibilities. I think its a great idea to network and make connections during a fellowship if orthopedic surgeons are in the same fellowship. Many of the podiatrists that have affiliations in one area don't want other podiatrists having affiliations because then it cuts from their profits and the volume of surgical patients... there are so many games in podiatry (business aspect of it)... i wouldnt know much though... I'm just assuming and trying to understand more about the totality of the field as I shadow and as I ask indirect questions that podiatrists are hesitant to answer.

:thumbup: thanks for input from the real world.

Let's factor this into the equation.. Not most, but all podiatrist I know are happy.
, like very happy with their compensation and life. Orthos usually work crazy hours because they're always on call and they like most other specialties are high amongst divorce rates. So even the the money is excellent the life isn't. Podiatrist is definitely a key to wealth, fun and weekends off. Also podiatrist get paid for the work they do. So let's say you see 25 clinical patients and day and you do a lot of ingrown toenails, scrapping calluses or even clipping toenails you might get paid $25-$30 each time. You do the math! Plus surgeries. You'll never have to worry about money again. I know this because I shadow three podiatrist here in Texas and they answer they questions I ask!! SWEET!!!

Reactions: 1 user