PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Letters in the mail today--choosing PNWU over Western (Lebanon). Better fit all around!

Congrats!
What factors went into that decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!
What factors went into that decision?

There were a lot. I grew up in Kennewick and my in-laws live in Yakima. The school in general impressed me. PNWU seemed to emphasize professionalism more than Western--Western paid lip service to professionalism, but it didn't seem as serious. Also, I have been in contact with the school for a few years (and have a few friends going there) and I know that professionalism is emphasized. It also seemed as if PNWU was taking the academic aspects of medical school more seriously. The students who were visiting from the Pomona campus kind of brushed off the difficulty of medical school--I mean, I am paying a lot of money for this, I want it to be the hardest professional experience I have encountered thus far!

In the end, it was a matter of loyalty (I was accepted a couple of years ago, was granted a deferral, eventually withdrew that acceptance, and they let me back in!) and a matter of gut feeling. Western felt like a physician factory, whereas PNWU felt like a family. Everybody is different though!

There were a lot. I grew up in Kennewick and my in-laws live in Yakima. The school in general impressed me. PNWU seemed to emphasize professionalism more than Western--Western paid lip service to professionalism, but it didn't seem as serious. Also, I have been in contact with the school for a few years (and have a few friends going there) and I know that professionalism is emphasized. It also seemed as if PNWU was taking the academic aspects of medical school more seriously. The students who were visiting from the Pomona campus kind of brushed off the difficulty of medical school--I mean, I am paying a lot of money for this, I want it to be the hardest professional experience I have encountered thus far!

In the end, it was a matter of loyalty (I was accepted a couple of years ago, was granted a deferral, eventually withdrew that acceptance, and they let me back in!) and a matter of gut feeling. Western felt like a physician factory, whereas PNWU felt like a family. Everybody is different though!

I made the choice of PNWU over Western too. I don't think you could have articulated the reasons any better. Very well said.

Members don't see this ad :)
One week until my interview! Fingers crossed. :)

Looks like Yakima here I come... Anyone look for housing that isn't on craigslist or is craigslist the best way to get a good idea of what is available?

Looks like Yakima here I come... Anyone look for housing that isn't on craigslist or is craigslist the best way to get a good idea of what is available?

Craigslist is a pretty good option, though the school has compiled a list of housing resources somewhere on the website. Can't remember exactly where.

Hi all i just sent in my deposit cant wait to meet you in person Augustish. I chose PNWU over Western also, it was a tough decision but i get a better feel while i was at PNWU and i know some of the current students.

Hi all i just sent in my deposit cant wait to meet you in person Augustish. I chose PNWU over Western also, it was a tough decision but i get a better feel while i was at PNWU and i know some of the current students.

im gonna overnight my deposit tomorrow, does anyone know if we can fax our information/waivers?

im gonna overnight my deposit tomorrow, does anyone know if we can fax our information/waivers?
I bet you can just call the school or Ennis Hope. I have to call tomorrow and confirm that they received my deposit and waiver. Oh yeah i think we interviewed together on the 21st. I was the tall blond guy pretty hard to miss.

Woohoo! Just accepted. Interviewed last Friday, February 4th, and got my call this afternoon. Thanks PNWU for the fast turn around time! YAY!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked the portal to see the dreaded "waitlisted." I remember them saying they go over everything again in April and rank the waitlist. Anyone know what can reasonably be expected as far as chances go? Would love to attend...

Woohoo! Just accepted. Interviewed last Friday, February 4th, and got my call this afternoon. Thanks PNWU for the fast turn around time! YAY!!

Hi Ewashgrl, did you by chance go to eastern? And congrats on the acceptance.

To All,
How many of you are planning on going to the open house PNWU has on April 9th

Thank you for your indepth and candid response. I have been eyeing PNW for the last couple years. However, having a wife and kids, Yakima seems a bit shady. At least from the newspapers and some other blogs. Is that true? Anyone else moving up there with their family? I apply next cycle, but PNW and Western are on top of my list.

Thank you for your indepth and candid response. I have been eyeing PNW for the last couple years. However, having a wife and kids, Yakima seems a bit shady. At least from the newspapers and some other blogs. Is that true? Anyone else moving up there with their family? I apply next cycle, but PNW and Western are on top of my list.

It's not really that bad. Don't get me wrong, Yakima is like the cloaca of Washington (as opposed to the Palm Springs of Washington as the billboard off the freeway suggests).

I won't elaborate too much since I'm writing this on my iPad, but there are pockets of decency nestled throughout the valley. I myself live in Selah, which is safely away from Yakima proper, yet only an eight minute commute to school (the way I drive).

Honestly, I often forget I'm even IN Yakima since my flight pattern usually only consists of home to school to home, with the occasional supply run.

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any children? Trying to find some recommendations on good schools for the kids as well. But, your response provides me with hope!:thumbup:

It's not really that bad. Don't get me wrong, Yakima is like the cloaca of Washington (as opposed to the Palm Springs of Washington as the billboard off the freeway suggests).

I won't elaborate too much since I'm writing this on my iPad, but there are pockets of decency nestled throughout the valley. I myself live in Selah, which is safely away from Yakima proper, yet only an eight minute commute to school (the way I drive).

Honestly, I often forget I'm even IN Yakima since my flight pattern usually only consists of home to school to home, with the occasional supply run.

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any children? Trying to find some recommendations on good schools for the kids as well. But, your response provides me with hope!:thumbup:

Nope, no kids, though many of my classmates do have children. There are like three school districts within the immediate area and, as I understand it, certain ones aren't that bad. In any case, you'll probably only be in Yakima for two years, unless you decide to stay for your rotations.

Agreed. Yakima, is no "Palm Springs", but it's certainly not as "shady" as the newspapers may make it look. There are some rough parts of town and I would not live in those, but other than those areas there are many sections with decent people and all the usual stores (which for me means Costco, Safeway, Feddy's/Kroger's, and Borders). There is a Wal-Mart near campus, but I would not call that place normal so if you do stop by and visit don't let that be your only impression of the area. There are other places not too far away to shop.

BTW: The new Cadwell building is now open so we have a second building and there is much more study room. It's already been a great addition.

I interviewed yesterday and it was an extremely positive experience. There are so many things about this school that are very appealing. Everyone was very friendly, the interview was relaxed, lunch was great and they really tried to make everyone feel comfortable. Committee meets Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your posts! Has given me renewed encouragement to apply there. I'm excited! Should be up there in the near future to check it out in person.

Agreed. Yakima, is no "Palm Springs", but it's certainly not as "shady" as the newspapers may make it look. There are some rough parts of town and I would not live in those, but other than those areas there are many sections with decent people and all the usual stores (which for me means Costco, Safeway, Feddy's/Kroger's, and Borders). There is a Wal-Mart near campus, but I would not call that place normal so if you do stop by and visit don't let that be your only impression of the area. There are other places not too far away to shop.

BTW: The new Cadwell building is now open so we have a second building and there is much more study room. It's already been a great addition.

AK were you in the afternoon session? I may have met you then.. I was the last guy who was interviewed after everyone ><

Did anyone ask how full this current class was? I totally forgot to ask. I guess we'll find out tomorrow either way...

I asked during the morning info session on Friday (2/11). Unfortunately, the class sounds pretty full :(

50 confirmed acceptances + 22 pending offers = 72 total offers made to date. This leaves only three spots that were totally open as of last Friday.

The only comfort is that some of those 22 pending offers will probably not be claimed, and that even among the confirmed acceptances I bet even some students will forfeit their deposit and go to another school.

I know these numbers are not good news, but everyone with an interview still has a fighting chance. :xf:

Man that's too bad. I interviewed at PNWU-COM on the 11th as well! Loved the campus, along with Yakima. Great small town, not too much to distract a hard working med school student. Pretty nervous for tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Does anyone know if the status online changes before they call you?

Man that's too bad. I interviewed at PNWU-COM on the 11th as well! Loved the campus, along with Yakima. Great small town, not too much to distract a hard working med school student. Pretty nervous for tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Does anyone know if the status online changes before they call you?

Mine did.

Yakima isn't that bad. I grew up in Kennewick (thinking Yakima was terrible) and my wife grew up in Yakima. I like Yakima better--closer to the mountains. There are "pockets of decency" (and crap) like ALL cities.

I've heard that the schools aren't the greatest in the world, but they aren't bad--I've heard that the West Valley School District is good.

Overall, I like Yakima. I like Ellensburg (45 min North) better (so does my wife). We're going to try having me commute down for the first term (we'll see if that works!). Anybody (current or future) commute from Ellensburg?

Yakima isn't that bad. I grew up in Kennewick (thinking Yakima was terrible) and my wife grew up in Yakima. I like Yakima better--closer to the mountains. There are "pockets of decency" (and crap) like ALL cities.

I've heard that the schools aren't the greatest in the world, but they aren't bad--I've heard that the West Valley School District is good.

Overall, I like Yakima. I like Ellensburg (45 min North) better (so does my wife). We're going to try having me commute down for the first term (we'll see if that works!). Anybody (current or future) commute from Ellensburg?

I'm going to say this is probably a really bad idea. I can't imagine making that commute in Florida, let alone somewhere where snow comes into play.

Just a heads up, winter it can be a little rough. There are a lot of hills from Eburg to Yakima and it can be kind of treacherous sometimes. If you got four wheel drive you'll probably make it but you looking at a lot more time on the road and possible missing a few days. I haven't commuted daily or anything just the occasional visit to Eburg. But I have a friend who goes from Yakima to Eburg 5 days a week for 2 years. 2-4 gallons of gas a day and missed school a bit. But it's a trade off; I agree the burg is better than Yakima or Selah.

Just a heads up, winter it can be a little rough. There are a lot of hills from Eburg to Yakima and it can be kind of treacherous sometimes. If you got four wheel drive you'll probably make it but you looking at a lot more time on the road and possible missing a few days. I haven't commuted daily or anything just the occasional visit to Eburg. But I have a friend who goes from Yakima to Eburg 5 days a week for 2 years. 2-4 gallons of gas a day and missed school a bit. But it's a trade off; I agree the burg is better than Yakima or Selah.

I refute the notion that this is a bad idea because of the winter in Washington. Winter here is generally tame. I have lived in this area for most of my live (in Ellensburg for the last ~6 years, except for the last 6 months, when I lived in Bozeman, MT) and I think I've only seen Manastash closed once. Being in the rain-shadow of the Cascades means it really doesn't get that much snow. Both of our cars are 4WD and I can drive in the snow.

My biggest concern is the loss of study/family time. I guess the way that I look at it is that if I were going to UW, there is no way I could actually live in the U-district with a family and a dog (on a medical student's budget) and my 10 mile commute to the U-district could take twice as long as my 45 mile commute from E'burg to Yakima. If you're coming from Florida, Washington winters may be rough, but they really aren't (especially compared to Montana winters).

Wishing everyone that interviewed on the 11th good luck. Let's all think positive thoughts for tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :luck:

I refute the notion that this is a bad idea because of the winter in Washington. Winter here is generally tame. I have lived in this area for most of my live (in Ellensburg for the last ~6 years, except for the last 6 months, when I lived in Bozeman, MT) and I think I've only seen Manastash closed once. Being in the rain-shadow of the Cascades means it really doesn't get that much snow. Both of our cars are 4WD and I can drive in the snow.

My biggest concern is the loss of study/family time. I guess the way that I look at it is that if I were going to UW, there is no way I could actually live in the U-district with a family and a dog (on a medical student's budget) and my 10 mile commute to the U-district could take twice as long as my 45 mile commute from E'burg to Yakima. If you're coming from Florida, Washington winters may be rough, but they really aren't (especially compared to Montana winters).

As someone who is currently commuting a little over an hour each way on freeways 100x better than the roads between Yak and E'burg, I am going to agree with others that suggest this is a bad idea. I like Ellensburg too but the time and the focus you have to exert just to get home during the winter isn't worth it. If your car was an fMRI it would show your brain working a lot harder across Manastash in the winter than 45min on open roads. Yakima isn't that bad once you get know it. Miner's Burgers, Mercedes, and Antojitos really help tip the balance in its favor. :thumbup:

As someone who is currently commuting a little over an hour each way on freeways 100x better than the roads between Yak and E'burg, I am going to agree with others that suggest this is a bad idea. I like Ellensburg too but the time and the focus you have to exert just to get home during the winter isn't worth it. If your car was an fMRI it would show your brain working a lot harder across Manastash in the winter than 45min on open roads. Yakima isn't that bad once you get know it. Miner's Burgers, Mercedes, and Antojitos really help tip the balance in its favor. :thumbup:

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that it would be best to NOT commute from E'burg everyday--I've been trying to find a way around that. My wife has a job at CWU and we have 2 young kids. In this economy, it is hard to find a job, so one of us has to commute. I would rather it be me. I'm not taking the commute lightly. It's a lifestyle choice and it will be tough. If you don't have a family or you don't have kids, LIVE IN YAKIMA. Live in Terrace Heights. If your significant other can find a job in Yakima, LIVE IN YAKIMA. I like Yakima, but E'burg makes more sense (now) for my family. We are going to cross the bridge of the commute not working if/when we come to it.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree that it would be best to NOT commute from E'burg everyday--I've been trying to find a way around that. My wife has a job at CWU and we have 2 young kids. In this economy, it is hard to find a job, so one of us has to commute. I would rather it be me. I'm not taking the commute lightly. It's a lifestyle choice and it will be tough. If you don't have a family or you don't have kids, LIVE IN YAKIMA. Live in Terrace Heights. If your significant other can find a job in Yakima, LIVE IN YAKIMA. I like Yakima, but E'burg makes more sense (now) for my family. We are going to cross the bridge of the commute not working if/when we come to it.

I understand now. Makes sense. Sorry I missed the context earlier.

In my class, I know at least one person who commutes from Ellensburg. I think another even commutes from as far away as Cle Elum. Not ideal, to be sure.

Anyone hear yet? I find myself refreshing the status page on PNWU website every minute....

Last edited:
Anyone hear yet? I find myself refreshing the status page on PNWU website every minute....

I'm doing the same thing. I hear they start calling around 11:30/noon their time! Good luck!

I didn't say it was a bad idea I just thought I would give you a heads up on some foreseeable problems. I have lived in eberg for a little over 7 years now and did my undergrad here. Commuting is definitely doable. I know people that commute. Didn't realize that you had lived here as well. We got 9 inches one day this winter, Manashtash was open but I wouldn't have dared try to go to Yakima. If your comming from Montatna it's probably no big deal. But if we learned anything this winter, if your from the West Side it's probably a big deal (Thanksgiving week, the commute from Seattle to Tacoma was 12 hours due to 6 inches of snow). Ellensburg is one of my favorite places I have lived. If I had as many reasons as you to stay here then I would definitely commute. In all reality, 45 minutes isn't that long of a commute.

In my class, I know at least one person who commutes from Ellensburg. I think another even commutes from as far away as Cle Elum. Not ideal, to be sure.
I had a girl in my Physics class she commuted from issaquah to Ellensburg 5 days a week for a 9am class for a year.

Congratulations racerwad and anyone else who gets an acceptance!

I interviewed 2/11 and was waitlisted today via the online system. No e-mail (yet?) or phone call.

Good luck to all! :luck:

Congrats racerwad and to hopeful doc for the waitlist. I just checked my status and I've been denied this cycle :(

Congrats racerwad and to hopeful doc for the waitlist. I just checked my status and I've been denied this cycle :(

Sorry to hear AKBlueberry :( did you have any inkling as to the possible outcome of your interview? Was the result a total shock? Any idea of what happened?

I chose to not attend PNWU because of the repeated times I heard Yakima referred to as "Crackima" and I am a single mom of a 3 year old- so a safe small town is important to me.
After interviewing at both Western-Lebanon and PNWU, I chose Western, but don't take this the wrong way- PNWU seemed like a great choice too. The decision is difficult and I think it's a very personal one. COngrats to all that were accepted and good luck to everyone still applying!