PMR residency program closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gtz123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am writing on behalf of the residents at the SUNY Buffalo PM&R program. The funding to this program has officially been cut for 6/2010, and the decision regarding whether or not to officially close the residency program given that there will be no funding is currently being decided. Given the imminent loss of funding and possibility of program closure it has been advised that the residents begin their search for spots in other programs. I was wondering if anyone might know of open spots or programs with extra lines for pgy-2s, 3s, and 4s, or if any program would be able and/or willing to accommodate an additional resident. Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Wayne State in Detroit has split their PM&R residency to include a community hospital that is new. I hear they are full for now, but they will be looking for 2010.

[3402512108] Wayne State University/Oakwood Hospital Program
Oakwood Heritage Hospital
PM&R Residency Program
10000 Telegraph Rd
Taylor, MI 48180
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Steven R. Hinderer, MD (313)745-9880
(313)745-1063
[email protected]

Full disclosure; I'm related to one of the attendings.

In a case like this, I would think the SUNY program and the AAPM&R need to take an immediate proactive approach and help the current residents procure spots in other programs. To leave it up to the residents themselves would be an act of cowardice.

Who cut the funding and why?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I might have addressed this in a previous thread. The AAPM&R has nothing to do w/ program closures and residency relocation. This falls under ACGME and the RRC. The SUNY Buffalo residents (current PGY-2s and 3s and incoming PGY-2s for 2010) have to actively look for new programs. They don’t necessarily have to limit their search to open spots. Call every PD out there and explain the situation, and see if they are able/willing to accommodate another resident for whatever year they’re in. My understanding is that SUNY Buffalo is responsible for providing whatever time/resources are needed to facilitate this. If the new program likes you, the accepting program can ask the RRC for a class-size expansion exemption. I would hope that, given the circumstances, the exemption is granted quickly.

Incoming PGY-2s can do the above and/or reapply through the Match.

Good luck.

Our program director got an email from the Buffalo program about one of their residents yesterday (from the Buffalo residency coordinator I believe). So they ARE helping their residents find new spots around the country

In a case like this, I would think the SUNY program and the AAPM&R need to take an immediate proactive approach and help the current residents procure spots in other programs. To leave it up to the residents themselves would be an act of cowardice.

Who cut the funding and why?

Indeed. Is there any precedent for such an event? I don't know if I ever remember the sudden closure of an entire residency program.

MUSC closed a few years ago.

The resident is responsible for finding a new position, but the ACGME will routinely grant expansion of the class size.

Typically, Buffalo is responsible for the cost of educating the residents, and so it is a huge boon to the incoming program, as they get an extra set of hands, at no cost.

Downstate recently expanded to 7 residents each year. We currently are actively interviewing for a person to fill the 7th spot for the incoming PGY2 class starting June 2010.

PM me if you would like more info.

One of the residents there said the program director would take them all if they wanted to come, especially since they already come with funding. Per the ACGME website, the coordinators number is 315-464-8672.