Please weigh in on my book list for M2. Which books can't i survive without?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatdidigetinto

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
M

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
USMLE prep and SoM prep fall into a Venn diagram, and there's not as much overlap as you may think.

If you want to rock the USMLE, forget about many of these textbooks and just read this post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742

Check out his list of resources and buy those. As you progress with your prep, add/remove resources depending on your strengths/weaknesses.

--> Use larger textbooks for reference and as adjunct material, but focus early on USMLE resources.

Books for a MS2 and books for Step 1 prep will be very different. P is correct in that many of these books will not be good for step studying; however, your primary goal for this year is not to study for the step but to lay a solid foundation for yourself.

In light of this (and I'll totally get flamed for what I'm about to say), I think the books you have are great for right now. I read almost all of Robbins, a substantial portion of Cecil, Katzung, Mosby's, and other large texts as the year went on. The review sources everyone uses are exactly that: review sources. They should not be used as primary texts when you are learning material for the first time.

I will be the first to admit that reason the texts I have listed ad those you have listed are overkill for step. But you need to keep in mind that your primary objective is to learn and understand this material so that you can build upon it as you progress in your education. You aren't here to get a good score on step 1. Of course we all want that, and it should be a goal for later, but not your primary goal for MS2. Those books didn't help me so much for step, but I sure am seeing the benefits now that I'm on rotations. Just keep the big picture in mind and realize that you aren't here to rock the steps; you're here to learn to be a competent and confident physician.

Ok I'm off my soapbox now. Good luck to you!

You aren't here to get a good score on step 1. Of course we all want that, and it should be a goal for later, but not your primary goal for MS2. Those books didn't help me so much for step, but I sure am seeing the benefits now that I'm on rotations. Just keep the big picture in mind and realize that you aren't here to rock the steps; you're here to learn to be a competent and confident physician.

A bit shocking to say the least. I hope you're joking.

MS2 is all about doing well on Step1. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise or try to draw you into an attenuated mentality; study as hard as you can for this thing and do well on it.

We have the rest of our lives to become mature physicians. MS2, however, is for Step1 prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree.

You are wasting your time with any of those books!

Most medschool administrations have no idea how to do well on boards and they are really just concerned that you pass.......so you'll be around for ms3 to pay tuition again.

MS2 is all about doing well on Step1. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise or try to draw you into an attenuated mentality; study as hard as you can for this thing and do well on it.

We have the rest of our lives to become mature physicians. MS2, however, is for Step1 prep.

I'm not joking. I think your aspirations of a 275 on step 1 are a little misguided, Phloston. There is so much more to learn than what is in FA, UWorld, Goljan, Pathoma, Kaplan, Underground Clinical Vignettes, the BRS series or whatever else you want to use. You're missing out by just focusing on those sources.

I don't think an awesome step score shouldn't be a goal. I certainly wanted one, and through focusing in school and studying hard by using resources not tailored specifically to step prep, I was able to score well (although you have made it very clear that you feel a 255 is a marginal score, at best, and one you would be thoroughly disappointed with).

There is this mentality among students in my class as well as many here on SDN that schools should teach to the boards, and if they don't, they're doing a true disservice to students. Don't fall into this trap. There is so much more beyond boards, and by focusing only on review sources I feel that students aren't getting all they can.

Like I said, I'll get flamed for this. I guess I'm just different than most.

USMLE prep and SoM prep fall into a Venn diagram, and there's not as much overlap as you may think.

If you want to rock the USMLE, forget about many of these textbooks and just read this post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742

Check out his list of resources and buy those. As you progress with your prep, add/remove resources depending on your strengths/weaknesses.

--> Use larger textbooks for reference and as adjunct material, but focus early on USMLE resources.

Phloston, it seems that Pollux's gave his two cents a while back, since you seem to be pretty much hitting up the same range of scores are you able to summarize and give us a bit of info on what we should be sticking to resource-wise. I know that questions are key but Pollux's post was made a few years ago we have many more books and courses such as DIT, Pathoma, Gunner training and etc. what sources should one stick to and know really well rather than overdoing it wasting time on lower yield info, which could still get one a 250+. ( I understand that nothing can replace a good run at learning the material well in MS1 and 2)

Pollux had gone through all of the Kaplan notes, Micro made ridiculously simple and BRS Anatomy. I haven't used these too much, although I have gone through pieces of the Kaplan notes. He didn't overly emphasize the Microcards, but I feel these are one of the best resources out there. He also used the Brenner cards for pharmacology. I've gone through these, but they are no where near as good as the Lange cards for learning pharmacology. If you already know all of the drugs cold, however, the Brenner are good for filling you in on a few drug names you've never heard of before (a good "top-up").

Also, I'm not quite scoring as high as he had. He lists 91% for Kaplan QBank. I just finished Kaplan QBank today and got 81% cumulative performance. Now I don't know if that 91% is after having gone back through incorrects, but that just seems crazy to me. However, he had read the Kaplan notes, so that might be a bias towards having done really well on that QBank. Kaplan tends to focus heavily on molecular biology lab techniques and some other things that I haven't seen before, so I've had to learn that stuff during my first pass of the QBank.

Pollux did get 88% on UWorld first-pass. I think that is more telling than anything else.

During MS2, I would do two things: memorize FA as well as you can and do as many questions as possible. This was essentially what Pollux had done. After I sit the exam, whether I get 250 or 280, I'll be able to offer some input as far as which resources are genuinely good versus purely wasting people's time.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I already got the lange pharm cards based on your advice. I also got the microcards too. Lol now all i need is that elusive immuno book or flash cards that i can't seem to find a general consensus about.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I already got the lange pharm cards based on your advice. I also got the microcards too. Lol now all i need is that elusive immuno book or flash cards that i can't seem to find a general consensus about.
In my opinion pharm cards and micro cards are both over kill and are just taking precious time away from FA and Uworld. You are much better off knowing ALL of the pharm in FA and Uworld than trying to remember an entire card set. I didn't have any pharm or micro questions that were not covered in either FA or Uworld.

Last edited:
In my opinion pharm cards and micro cards are both over kill and are just taking precious time away from FA and Uworld. You are much better off knowing ALL of the pharm in FA and Uworld than trying to remember an entire card set. I didn't have any pharm or micro questions that were not covered in either FA or Uworld.

The Microcards' tree-algorithm cards are essential. There's one for each category of organisms. THESE cards are the true value of the set because they make it so that you don't have to think twice about any organism's classification. For instance, I'm not even looking at the cards and can tell you that pneumovirus is RNA, helical nucleocapsid, enveloped, SS(-)-non-segmented, paramyxoviridae. You catchin' my drift? And this isn't to say that one can't learn these classifications otherwise, but they can be learned cold in a very short time period with the Microcards. So they are essential imo. The information in many of the other cards, however, overlaps with FA, so if you don't have ample time, just make sure to get through, at the minimum, the tree-algorithms.

You mention a good point about the cards phloston, If im correct though the Micro book from the kaplan series also has a good chart on bacteria and viruses at the end which covers many topics that what I stuck too. As for the rest of micro I just tried annotating the hi-yield algorithms into the FA section of Micro to have everything all together. But i'll take a look at the cards as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your opinion, even if the majority, is not always right.

Not everyone has 2 years of free time for Step 1. And your education is your own, MOST doctors will be able to achieve all their goals scoring around the mean. Your worldview is not the only worldview, even if it's SDN's.

Your opinion, even if the majority, is not always right.

Not everyone has 2 years of free time for Step 1. And your education is your own, MOST doctors will be able to achieve all their goals scoring around the mean. Your worldview is not the only worldview, even if it's SDN's.
I don't have free time Bane. Also, unfortunately you need to do very well on your steps in order to do whatever specialty you want. You may not like the system, but that's how it is. I don't think it's wrong to study for an exam, even for 4 years, if it will help you achieve your goal.

I don't have free time Bane. Also, unfortunately you need to do very well on your steps in order to do whatever specialty you want. You may not like the system, but that's how it is. I don't think it's wrong to study for an exam, even for 4 years, if it will help you achieve your goal.

If you work hard during M1 and M2, then you'll do fine. If you were a slacker it will show. This whole Step 1 is everything mentality is borderline stupid, funny thing is, people who just realize it's a test and work hard will probably do better than both of you (i.e. your mentality != good score).

Free time? We all have the same 24 hours in each day. It's not unfortunate to have to do well on Step 1, it's called disciplined hard work during M1 and M2 (or for IMGs - M1/M2/M3/M4? I don't know how you guys get 1 year to study for Step 1, lol). That's why people don't need to study a year and can just use 5 weeks, they didn't take short cuts for 2 years only learning from review books and ignoring all education that isn't Step 1.

That's why people don't need to study a year and can just use 5 weeks, they didn't take short cuts for 2 years only learning from review books and ignoring all education that isn't Step 1.

Bingo.

Everyone wants to buy the most high-yield review book from day one so that they can just sit in their room and make 10 passes before they take Step 1. It's unfortunate if you ask me. It isn't about learning all the factoids for the test. Patients don't always present like step questions portray them. There is so much more knowledge to be gained and understanding to be developed outside of those review sources. The goal of medical school is not to get a good step score, and anyone who attempts to perpetuate that lie is doing a disservice to all they tell it to. Sure, step scores are incredibly important in obtaining competitive residencies and I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue that; however, with hard work and diligence throughout the year (and, Heaven forbid, even a little delving into a resource that isn't a 100 page bulleted list of high-yield facts) that solid step score will come.

If you work hard during M1 and M2, then you'll do fine. If you were a slacker it will show. This whole Step 1 is everything mentality is borderline stupid, funny thing is, people who just realize it's a test and work hard will probably do better than both of you (i.e. your mentality != good score).

Free time? We all have the same 24 hours in each day. It's not unfortunate to have to do well on Step 1, it's called disciplined hard work during M1 and M2 (or for IMGs - M1/M2/M3/M4? I don't know how you guys get 1 year to study for Step 1, lol). That's why people don't need to study a year and can just use 5 weeks, they didn't take short cuts for 2 years only learning from review books and ignoring all education that isn't Step 1.

Lol i just started M2. And btw how is 2 years a shortcut compared to 5 weeks?

I only focused on classes for M1/M2 (didn't use review books). Did great in those classes. When Step 1 time came, I studied hard (but not ridiculously) for ~4 weeks, and got a great score. Compartmentalizing your studying into "classes" and "Step 1" is stupid. And I don't go to a Step 1 prep camp.

It's a test, OP. It's just a test. Study hard for your classes, learn the lingo and logic of medicine. If you want to do well, there's no magic potion or book. Work hard. There's no substitute for that.

Last edited:
I only focused on classes for M1/M2 (didn't use review books). Did great in those classes. When Step 1 time came, I studied hard (but not ridiculously) for ~4 weeks, and got a score that Phloston probably won't reach. Compartmentalizing your studying into "classes" and "Step 1" is stupid. And I don't go to a Step 1 prep camp.

It's a test, OP. It's just a test. Study hard for your classes, learn the lingo and logic of medicine. If you want to do well, there's no magic potion or book. Work hard. There's no substitute for that.

:thumbup: Nice to see normal people on SDN occasionally.

I only focused on classes for M1/M2 (didn't use review books). Did great in those classes. When Step 1 time came, I studied hard (but not ridiculously) for ~4 weeks, and got a score that Phloston probably won't reach. Compartmentalizing your studying into "classes" and "Step 1" is stupid. And I don't go to a Step 1 prep camp.

I agree with this camp. Anybody who tailors their MS2 year to prepare for Step 1 is not doing anything but feeding their neuroticism. It doesn't lead to better scores. All it likely does is make you miserable and stressed all year.

Just do well in MS2 (and use actual books or class notes, not review books), and the normal dedicated Step 1 study time (4-5 weeks) will do the trick. I know plenty of people that did this and got excellent scores.

I agree with this camp. Anybody who tailors their MS2 year to prepare for Step 1 is not doing anything but feeding their neuroticism. It doesn't lead to better scores. All it likely does is make you miserable and stressed all year.

Just do well in MS2 (and use actual books or class notes, not review books), and the normal dedicated Step 1 study time (4-5 weeks) will do the trick. I know plenty of people that did this and got excellent scores.

Seriously. Review books are just that--review. You can read a review book a hundred times and know it by heart, but will you actually know all the science behind everything you're reading in FA? How could you if you devote 100% of your time to review books and omit all the fundamentals?Admittedly, you probably won't be tested directly on the very basic concepts, but these are essential to learn in order to understand how each system operates and how each system interacts with every other system.

Memorizing a bunch of facts may get you a lot of "high yield" points, but it definitely won't help you when you're hit with a question that forces you to extrapolate beyond FA and logically think through the mechanisms and basic concepts (and trust me, there are a lot of these questions). Spending all your time on review books is NOT going to get you to this level.

OP- there are many recent (high-scoring) testtakers with very recent knowledge of this test who have responded to this thread, all of them saying the exact same thing. Perhaps there's something to it. If you know your stuff from school really well, you will only need 5 weeks to hammer down the minutiae

What was your Step1 score?

Seriously. Review books are just that--review. You can read a review book a hundred times and know it by heart, but will you actually know all the science behind everything you're reading in FA? How could you if you devote 100% of your time to review books and omit all the fundamentals?Admittedly, you probably won't be tested directly on the very basic concepts, but these are essential to learn in order to understand how each system operates and how each system interacts with every other system.

Memorizing a bunch of facts may get you a lot of "high yield" points, but it definitely won't help you when you're hit with a question that forces you to extrapolate beyond FA and logically think through the mechanisms and basic concepts (and trust me, there are a lot of these questions). Spending all your time on review books is NOT going to get you to this level.

OP- there are many recent (high-scoring) testtakers with very recent knowledge of this test who have responded to this thread, all of them saying the exact same thing. Perhaps there's something to it. If you know your stuff from school really well, you will only need 5 weeks to hammer down the minutiae

you do realize that you can use review books to review for classes right?
to at least help guide you and show you what the important points are
to give you an overview of a particular topic, which you can supplement with your class material

I just don't recall VisionaryTics ever having posted his score on the Scores Thread (unless I just missed the post perhaps), but I'd be happy to hear about how things went.

And that's a strong performance, Kaputt. Your input has been helpful.

get the kaplan notes. they are shorter than the review books, and looking at them alongside your courses is the best way. thats how I did m2. kaplan + in class lecture notes. this way i knocked out 2 birds with one stone.

if you look at individual review books like the brs series or the goljian, they are good, but i think you may miss out on some details taught in class, and there is no way you can remember all of that for the boards. i like kaplan cause its concise, straight to the point, and leaves enough time to look at class notes as well for class exams

I just don't recall VisionaryTics ever having posted his score on the Scores Thread (unless I just missed the post perhaps), but I'd be happy to hear about how things went.

I didn't post my score because I'm open with my identity on this site. It was high enough that my thoughts on scoring very well on Step 1 have some weight.

FWIW, I approached things in a similar way as VisionaryTics and got >260

:thumbup: I think it's funny that people who haven't taken the test are already saying "There is only one way, one perspective, I know it all." If anything, there are many ways to be successful, and all don't involve obsessing about the test. Like when one poster said to do extra reading... that's fine, saying to ONLY read review books and ONLY focus on Step 1 is short sighted.

you do realize that you can use review books to review for classes right?
to at least help guide you and show you what the important points are
to give you an overview of a particular topic, which you can supplement with your class material

No one is saying you can't. I think people are saying to obsess and be neurotic over the exam (i.e. posting on Step 1 forums everyday, e.g. the Pholston method) isn't preferable. Instead, you can just working hard when you learn the material and set an intense study schedule when the exam comes closer.

I didn't post my score because I'm open with my identity on this site. It was high enough that my thoughts on scoring very well on Step 1 have some weight.

No need to justify yourself anyhow. As if your opinion would be better or worse if you got a 240 or 280.

Well considering you felt the need (Gd knows why) to single me out in your above post, I have reason to want to know your score. That being said, if you don't feel entirely comfortable discussing your outcome, it would probably be better to hold your tongue next time.

There appears to be an unnecessary negative energy between quite a few of us on this forum. We'd all benefit if we just work together (wow that sounds corny, but it's true) as opposed to subliminally competing.

Well considering you felt the need (Gd knows why) to single me out in your above post, I have reason to want to know your score. That being said, if you don't feel entirely comfortable discussing your outcome, it would probably be better to hold your tongue next time.

There appears to be an unnecessary negative energy between quite a few of us on this forum. We'd all benefit if we just work together (wow that sounds corny, but it's true) as opposed to subliminally competing.

#1: You can't compete with any AMG because you have dedicated prep of 1 year instead of 5 weeks. That's like scoring a touchdown without a defense playing - it's pretty easy.
#2: He doesn't need to hold his tongue. Stop being childish. You're opinion is of less value because of you are studying full time for a year, as opposed to his being less valuable because he didn't tell you a score.

The negative energy is actually you telling everyone how things are without taking the test while taking 10 times longer to study for it... while the rest of us are not so arrogant as to dictate everyone's education. Re-read your posts above. It's very stupid/childish to tell someone to hold their tongue because they didn't tell you they scored ****insert pholston's dream score****.

The day that you stop being so concerned about other people's study methods will be when you become a much happier person.

Priceless.

I don't even need to venture to another thread to see how much you're concerned with others methods:

Here's my study method...

Ok I'm off my soapbox now. Good luck to you!

MS2 is all about doing well on Step1. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise or try to draw you into an attenuated mentality

:confused:

Pollux had gone through all of the Kaplan notes,... He didn't overly emphasize the Microcards, but I feel these are one of the best resources out there. He also used...
Also, I'm not quite scoring as high as he had. He lists 91% for Kaplan QBank.... he had read the Kaplan notes, so that might be a bias towards having done really well on that QBank.

Pollux did get 88% on UWorld first-pass. I think that is more telling than anything else.
... This was essentially what Pollux had done. After I sit the exam, whether I get 250 or 280, I'll be able to offer some input as far as which resources are genuinely good versus purely wasting people's time.

I like your 280 prediction and how obssessed you are with some guy that you know his % scored in every resource... lol

And that's a strong performance, Kaputt. Your input has been helpful.

What was your Step1 score?

You are more concerned with other peoples study methods than anyone in the world.

I can understand why IMGs have to score 30 points higher than everyone else. You guys have nothing to do, I mean you can post 1000 times in the Step 1 forum in months because you literally have 3500 hours to study for the exam while everyone else has 350 hours. My disposition doesn't matter just like Visionary's score doesn't matter, the fact remains that what you're doing is pathetic. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

Lol Iv never seen anyone so worked up by a thread before. Bottom line is that the step score is the biggest factor determining what you end up doing later in life. Lol take a chill pill bro, it doesn't say anywhere that you're only allowed to study one month for this exam. You can start earlier in M2 or M1, but I'm not sure you're aware of that delicate concept.

Priceless.

I don't even need to venture to another thread to see how much you're concerned with others methods:

:confused:

I like your 280 prediction and how obssessed you are with some guy that you know his % scored in every resource... lol

You are more concerned with other peoples study methods than anyone in the world.

I can understand why IMGs have to score 30 points higher than everyone else. You guys have nothing to do, I mean you can post 1000 times in the Step 1 forum in months because you literally have 3500 hours to study for the exam while everyone else has 350 hours. My disposition doesn't matter just like Visionary's score doesn't matter, the fact remains that what you're doing is pathetic. The two things have nothing to do with each other.
And btw I'm M2 and I plan on doing my exam as soon as summer starts. Is that ok with you bane or does it conflict with your stereotype of IMGs?

Lol Iv never seen anyone so worked up by a thread before. Bottom line is that the step score is the biggest factor determining what you end up doing later in life. Lol take a chill pill bro, it doesn't say anywhere that you're only allowed to study one month for this exam. You can start earlier in M2 or M1, but I'm not sure you're aware of that delicate concept.

It has nothing to do with being "allowed" and everything to do with "what it means". Studying for a year full time invalidates your score, hence the need to score MUCH higher. And that's why Top 10 schools match the best, followed by Top 40 schools, with IMGs last . Check out NRMP matching data, they actually track Top 40 US News and IMG matching rates.

You're right, I'm not aware of that delicate concept because I attend a good school.:)

And btw I'm M2 and I plan on doing my exam as soon as summer starts. Is that ok with you bane or does it conflict with your stereotype of IMGs?

I could care less what you or the 1 year Step 1 IMG guy does. It doesn't matter. I just wish he would shut up because he knows little about medical education but has been arrogantly running his mouth for months. I actually liked IMGs before this guy.

No one is saying Step 1 isn't the most important thing you do in the first two years. It most definitely is.

But you're completely missing the whole point of what people are saying in this thread. Namely, that when you're going through M1 and M2, you should be learning the material, not zipping through review books. Good Step 1 scores come from doing well in your first two years, not the amount of time you've had Goljan or First Aid on your desk. Step 1 tests a ton of material but not at an excruciating depth. Your study time will end up being easier, though, if you take the time in M1/M2 to go deep and beyond what review books say. You'll be better off in the long run if you have a bank of knowledge to fall back on, rather than a bunch of First Aid factoids jumbling around in your head.

This isn't entirely directed at you. These forums in general define the recipe for success as going through Gunner Training and Pathoma and having an annotated First Aid before you even finish M2. It's excessive advice bred from neuroticism and the need to have a magic formula for success. Well there is a magic formula for success: do well in school. Learn what they want you to learn. Whip out your review books for your 4-5 weeks of board study. Take the test. Receive great score. Move on to 3rd year.

Some people will try to scare you into thinking that M1/M2 hardly ever overlap with Step 1, which is patently untrue. I thought that my school didn't prepare me for Step 1 until I cracked open First Aid before my dedicated study time and realized, "huh, I guess they did teach us a lot of this stuff." The rest was filling in factoids and details.

And if I'm reading your posts correctly, you're an IMG...if you go to a Caribbean school, they will teach to the boards anyway.

At the end of the day, do what makes you comfortable. But do not think for one second that this excessive, "Step 1 from day one of M2" mentality is the only way, or the most effective way, to succeed.

So you're telling me it says somewhere that you are only allowed to study one month for this exam? Are you serious? Do you know how stupid you sound? They ban M1 and M2 students from Starting studying early? Does that even make sense to you?

I'm glad you go to a good school. You're a very good boy, your parents must be very proud of you.

So you're telling me it says somewhere that you are only allowed to study one month for this exam? Are you serious? Do you know how stupid you sound? They ban M1 and M2 students from Starting studying early? Does that even make sense to you?

Don't see how you go to these ridiculous conclusions. Once again, you're missing the point.

American med schools typically (though it varies from school to school) give you 4-5 weeks for dedicated study for Step 1 after 2nd year and before 3rd year begins. Most people don't prestudy before their study period, and even if they did, the yield of that studying is minuscule compared to what you are able to pull off in your dedicated study time.

IMGs who get an unlimited amount of time to dedicated solely to Step 1 study time will likely have inflated scores (to a point). There is quite a divide between Step 1 scores of matched IMGs and AMGs, owning to either knowledge of this fact or old school PDs not wanting to interview IMGs period.

I'm glad you go to a good school. You're a very good boy, your parents must be very proud of you.

Someone needs to work out their anger/inferiority complex issues...

The thread specifically asks which text books I don't need for M2, and what books I could buy instead so I could study for both my classes and step 1 at the same time. If you guys did not have any books to suggest, then good for you and you shouldn't have replied to the thread to begin with. But no you guys turned it into giving your opinion about how I shouldn't study with a step 1 mindset and how IMGs have so much more time to study for steps. Lol neither me or Phloston started this but you did by giving your opinion on how important it is that I should never make step 1 my focus during M1 and M2.

For those of you who read my initial question in the thread and were actually able to understand a very very simple question, thank you very much for your helpful input. For the rest who thought that I was asking for your personal opinion (that i didn't ask for) concerning the whole IMGs and step 1 time allocation, it clearly seems you are upset with the latter issue, but unfortunately I don't care nor is this thread the proper place to vent your frustrations.

And btw Kputt and Bane, I go to Cornell medical college in Qatar. I think Cornell is a pretty good school, no?

Lol.

Alright i'll break it down to you so you can understand it better, because you clearly have a problem understanding extremely basic questions:

If someone asks "guys what books will help me study for class and step 1 simultaneously", is different than asking "guys if you have problems with me starting studying early, or have a problem with IMGs and the time they spend studying, please let's all just share our feelings about it in the thread below".

You see, reading a question properly will help you immensely in the future, because sometimes you might go on and on about a different subject which clearly bothers you to the point of attacking other people on the Internet on a daily basis, while said people just doesn't care at all about your glaring insecurities.

Alright i'll break it down to you so you can understand it better, because you clearly have a problem understanding extremely basic questions:

If someone asks "guys what books will help me study for class and step 1 simultaneously", is different than asking "guys if you have problems with me starting studying early, or have a problem with IMGs and the time they spend studying, please let's all just share our feelings about it in the thread below".

You see, reading a question properly will help you immensely in the future, because sometimes you might go on and on about a different subject which clearly bothers you to the point of attacking other people on the Internet on a daily basis, while said people just doesn't care at all about your glaring insecurities.

Umm most of the advice you're getting on this thread is from people who scored 260+... so I think they've proven they can read at least 322 questions properly. Still, you're adamant on following the advice of the one person on here who hasn't taken the test. Your loss I guess.

Edit: for the record, I have no problem with Phloston's 1 yr prep, but I do think he's one of the rare few who has the motivation to stay on top of this material for that long. It's not that easy. I wouldn't use a 1 yr plan as a guide for Step 1 studying, because it's very unlikely that you'd be able to follow it.

"guys what books will help me study for class and step 1 simultaneously"

You're missing the point.

As VisionaryTics said, dividing studying into "classes/school" and "Step 1" isn't necessary. They both test the same concepts. Applying yourself for two solid years in M1/M2 will be studying for Step 1. That's the point that Kaputt, VisionaryTics, and I are trying to make. You can use primary sources in order to learn the material well the first go-round so that review time is exactly that, review.

Some books I personally like:

Robbin's Pathologic Basis of Disease
Cecil Medicine
Katzung's Basic and Clinical Pharmacology
Lippincott's Biochemistry (review but might as well be a primary source)

Using class notes and supplementing with these books will lay a solid foundation. That's how you reach the good Step score.

Good luck, man!

Umm most of the advice you're getting on this thread is from people who scored 260+... so I think they've proven they can read at least 322 questions properly. Still, you're adamant on following the advice of the one person on here who hasn't taken the test. Your loss I guess.

Edit: for the record, I have no problem with Phloston's 1 yr prep, but I do think he's one of the rare few who has the motivation to stay on top of this material for that long. It's not that easy. I wouldn't use a 1 yr plan as a guide for Step 1 studying, because it's very unlikely that you'd be able to follow it.
And I should blindly believe all these self reported scores? I'm not saying they're all lying, but most people tend to inflate/round up their scores. Don't be fooled by the numerous posts, they are not by different people commenting on this thread, they are only by a few people who think i care about their personal problems with IMGs and their extra time. There are 2 others that agree with Phloston by the way.

Also I'm not sure but didn't you catch the sarcasm in my post addressed to Bane? You really think that I believe Bane has problems understanding questions? That's kind of lame from your part dude.

And I should blindly believe all these self reported scores? I'm not saying they're all lying, but most people tend to inflate/round up their scores. Don't be fooled by the numerous posts, they are not by different people commenting on this thread, they are only by a few people who think i care about their personal problems with IMGs and their extra time. There are 2 others that agree with Phloston by the way.

Also I'm not sure but didn't you catch the sarcasm in my post addressed to Bane? You really think that I believe Bane has problems understanding questions? That's kind of lame from your part dude.

since most people on here are anonymous there would be no reason to inflate you're own score, that's just stupid.

And yes I did catch the sarcasm, which is why I replied with an equally sarcastic remark. Do you really think I believe doing well on Step 1 suffices as evidence that one is good at understanding questions?

btw I wasn't going to say anything, but since you're being such a tool... cornell in qatar is not the same as cornell in NYC

You're missing the point.

As VisionaryTics said, dividing studying into "classes/school" and "Step 1" isn't necessary. They both test the same concepts. Applying yourself for two solid years in M1/M2 will be studying for Step 1. That's the point that Kaputt, VisionaryTics, and I are trying to make. You can use primary sources in order to learn the material well the first go-round so that review time is exactly that, review.

Some books I personally like:

Robbin's Pathologic Basis of Disease
Cecil Medicine
Katzung's Basic and Clinical Pharmacology
Lippincott's Biochemistry (review but might as well be a primary source)

Using class notes and supplementing with these books will lay a solid foundation. That's how you reach the good Step score.

Good luck, man!

That's all I was saying too.

btw I wasn't going to say anything, but since you're being such a tool... cornell in qatar is not the same as cornell in NYC

+1. I don't even know what Qatar is.