Please read...Need help/advice from resident/attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2006MD

Beda hell ker 4 Kalifonya
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I'm a third year who entered medical school with thoughts of pediatrics. I'm a shoe in for peds; My grades are descent and board scores cleared 200. Here's the problem: :scared: I did not like Pediatrics; however, I LOVED everything about orthopaedic surgery. Since my life altering decision I've kicked @ss on my surg rotation, have started a research project w/an orthopaedic surgeon, and I plan on taking my step 2 early.

I need some advice:
-should I take a year off to do research and better my chances of matching?
-with my scores, which programs should I be applying to (i.e. I know it's competitive, but which programs are relatively not as competitive)?
-Will my applications be trashed during the screening since I didn't clear the golden 220 on step I, or will they take into account my step II scores?
-Is there anything else I should be doing to increase my chances of matching?

Any advice in addition to my questions is more than welcomed.

Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

See the ortho chances thread. There is some good advice there.

Most of your questions are tough to answer and the answer will depend on who you ask.

Your scores will hurt you, as it is a competitive field, but there will be far more to your application.

I would apply if you really want it and can demonstrate that desire and commitment. A research/prelim year can be plan B.

Thanks for the response Kilgorian, I'll look at the thread.

Kilgorian said:
See the ortho chances thread. There is some good advice there.

Most of your questions are tough to answer and the answer will depend on who you ask.

Your scores will hurt you, as it is a competitive field, but there will be far more to your application.

I would apply if you really want it and can demonstrate that desire and commitment. A research/prelim year can be plan B.