Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachbum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AM ABOUT TO SIGN A NAVY SCHOLARSHIP TO PAY FOR MY MED SCHOOL. I HEARD THAT MOST RECRUITERS DONT REALLY TELL YOU ALL THAT THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT PAYING BACK AFTER MED SCHOOL. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE PROS AND THE CONS ABOUT JOINING THE NAVY TO PAY FOR MED SCHOOL? DO THEY LET YOU DO ANY ALLOPATHIC RESIDENCY OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE THEIR RESIDENCY IN A MILITARY HOSPITAL? I KNOW THE PAY BACK IS YEAR FOR YEAR , WOULD RESIDENCY YEARS COUNT AS A PAY BACK? ANY INFO WOULD HELP, I NEED TO KNOW SO WHEN I MEET THE RECRUITER I CAN BE SOMEWHAT FAMILIAR WITH THE SUBJECT. THAT WAY I WONT BE SIGNING MY LIFE AWAY.

THANKS

THE BUM AT THE BEACH

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by the recruiter in our area that you may only do a residency outside of the military if they couldn't match you into one in the military match (which is next to never since they can ALWAYS find you a match in FP). And NO, residency years DO NOT count toward your payback time as it is still considered training.

If you take the military scholarship, you MUST be prepared to go when and where they tell you. The recruiters make it sound like you have more control over your assignments but unless they put it in a written contract that says you will not be required to go to Korea or Turkey or Germany, etc., then NOTHING is certain.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good living and a good way to pay your tuition but you should ONLY do it if you are okay with the military lifestyle and you are willing to accept whatever requirements they put on you (including controlling what residency you may end up in).

Here is the gist of payback for all the services (hang on it gets a little confusing at points):
You actually incur two active duty service commitments (ADSC's-"payback time"). Everyone on HPSP incurs one three year commitment. This is why, even if you take a two year scholarship, you will serve at least three years. The other commitment is the year-for-year commitment owed for every year that your service pays for med school (ie. four year payback for four years on scholarship)*. But both these ADSC's run concurrently, not additively, so when serving your payback it will equal the larger of the two (ex. three years payback for someone on a two year scholarship with the two year(-for-year) commitment paid off at the same time; four years payback for a four year scholarship with the three year commitment paid off at the same time [hope that make sense])
So when does the payback begin? Depends. If you do a residency (either civilian or military) it will begin after your residency. If you choose to do a General Medical Officer (GMO) tour (which would entail doing a PGY-1 to get licensed followed by a tour as the equivalent of the old "general practitioner") your payback clock will begin ticking after the PGY-1. If that time equalled your (larger) commitment, then at the end, you will have fulfilled your obligation and could choose to get out or you could try for a military residency.
Now here are two more commitments that are incurred: When you do a military residency you incur another three year commitment; and again, this time is served concurrently with the other two ADSC's (so even though a four year scholarship recipient who does a military residency now owes ten years, they will only have to serve four). This only is important to someone who does a GMO tour followed by a military residency (remember the GMO tour will have paid off some or all of their original two commitments, but the military isn't going to train them and let them go immediately afterward. They will owe three years** for the residency [any remainder of the original commitments not paid off in the GMO tour would be served concurrently with the new commitment]) One other commitment that can be incurred is if you get a post-residency fellowship (ex. cardiology). You will incur another year-for-year commitment for the time of the fellowship (I believe that for someone doing a military residency right after med school, it will be additive to the other ADSC's [ie. four year scholarship, followed by residency, followed by fellowship will owe five years payback])
Now a little something specific to the Navy: Many scholarship recipients will have to do a GMO tour whether you want to or not (you can request to do one). This will be determined by the needs of the Navy, but in the Navy this happens the most often vs. other services (it almost never happens in the Army and Air Force for a few reasons outside the purview of this response). This is not Navy bashing (disclosure: I am Air Force). I personally view this as a great opprtunity (I wanted to go Navy but due to an unmotivated Navy recruiter, a motivated AF recruiter, and prior AF service, I went the way I did) as they have some interesting GMO tours such as Undersea Medicine (what I did and still want to do), Fleet Medicine, Fleet Marine Medicine, and Flight Surgeon. To me this is a great way to have some unique experiences while gaining clinical experience before residency (and it allows some people more time to decide what they want to do in residency). Also this is the fastest way to serve your time and get out if you find that the military lifestyle is not for you. So, while some people don't relish the thought of being forced into a GMO tour, it can be a blessing in disguise.
So is this clear as mud? Hope it helped.
*For people with no prior service you actual commitment to the military is eight years. Your ADSC is just that, the time you will have to serve on active duty. But, if you get out after your ADSC is paid off, the remainder of the eight years you will be put in the Individual Ready Reserve (Anybody who enters the military in any position, enlisted or officer, for the first time has this type of commitment). In the IRR you will only be responsible to keep the military informed of where you are and you will be assesed once yearly for fitness for duty. This is in case they need to call you up in some kind of extreme situation. Call-ups from the IRR are rare, but they do occasionally happen.
**I'm not sure, but I think if you do your residency after med school it is the afore mentioned three years. But if you do it after a GMO tour it might be a year-for-year commitment. Check on that. Speaking of checking on stuff: Often recruiters won't know the nitty-gritty of the stuff I just explained. The administrators of your service's program will, though (that's where I got my info; in my case Air Force Institute of Technology staff who administer the USAF HPSP), so don't be afraid to ask to contact them.

Well, I didn't think I took up enough space with the last one so here's some more filler.
When perusing that contract and statement of understanding you are about to sign READ CAREFULLY, and make sure you understand everything. And remember what I said about recruiters not knowing everything. Be as informed as possible before making what is a big commitment.
To give you a story about why to read carefully: I was asked by a recruiter to commission a classmate because there was a rush and he and the officer who was supposed to do it couldn't make it. I insisted on reading the contract and statement of understanding with my classmate and making sure he understood everything. In reading the contract I found that it stated that his ADSC would be four years. The problem was he was taking a three year scholarship. I wouldn't let him sign it until his recruiter faxed up a corrected copy. So a little careful reading saved him from commiting to something he shoudn't have owed.