MD & DO PLEASE HELP! WAMC - uGPA: 3.2, MCAT: 493 twice, 360 hours of shadowing, + more????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kp28

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. I just wanted to get a quick idea and list of opinions on WAMC at any DO or MD school in America with the following info.

2. Is it worth doing a one year Masters Program (I was thinking MSPCS at Mercer University) to improve my cGPA and show I can do better in higher level science courses?

3. Should I take the MCAT a third time and what type of score would I need to get?

4. Would you personally take the time to go through all of this or just skip it and do podiatry?

uGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 493 (both times, I know it's killer)
360 hours of shadowing
110 hours of clinical experience
120 hours undergraduate research
Learning Assistant
Youth activities coordinator
+ other volunteering opportunities
22 years old
Georgia resident

I would appreciate any opinions and straight up honesty.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way you're getting into a medical school is by taking an SMP at that med school. I can't recommend retaking the MCAT because I don't foresee you magically scoring significantly higher on try #3. You're plateaued. Strongly consider Plan B as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to raise both your GPA and MCAT score to have a chance for interviews at some DO schools. You could do a DIY post bacc at a local college with an emphasis on science courses over the next year or two. You also need to have a MCAT score of at least 500. Do not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently over 500.

The only way you're getting into a medical school is by taking an SMP at that med school. I can't recommend retaking the MCAT because I don't foresee you magically scoring significantly higher on try #3. You're plateaued. Strongly consider Plan B as well.
Idk, I went from 501 to 504 to 515 (40 percentile increase from the first test). With the correct resources and dedication (usually the lacking factors with scores less than 500), I think OP can do better on the MCAT. But I agree that they should do an SMP at the medical school that they would want to go to, and with a stronger MCAT you should have a chance at that school. Best shot will be DO, however, after your SMP and MCAT retake. just my 2 cents