Please Help ! Need advice ! Counselors not helpful!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akumar29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Before, anyone gets mad I have been on this forum for over 6 months and used the search button frequently but I would really appreciate advice directly related to me so I can see whats going on with me here.

- I want to go to a D.O school (preferably ccom)
- My GPA is very low (2.7) I am a junior right now
- I am studying for MCATs, volunteer, and hunting research options
- This semester I worked hard but still fell a little short of As
- And will work hard for next semesters
- I really want to be a doctor

Q1) I want to retake Bio II, Orgo I, and Chem I and II ( I received c,c,c,b). Would that look horrible on my application. I got a A in Orgo 2.
You don't need to retake a B since you have bigger fish to fry. Retake BioII, Org I, and Chem I if you want.
Q2) If it is okay to retake those courses, when should I retake them.
There's no rule book to this. Just as soon as you can is the obvious answer.
Q3) My college does not allow retakes. So If I take them at a cc and send to them AACOM, would they still accept them regardless of what my university says about retakes?
Most likely, assuming it is the SAME class at the cc.
Q4) How many retakes is it okay to take? I know there is not a exact number but based on my case what would you say?
Again, there's no rule book. As many as you feel is necessary to recover from your GPA. Retaking 3 classes isn't too bad. Retaking 10 may raise some flags, especially if they are lower level courses... but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Q5) How else can I improve my chances of becoming a doctor?
Get lots of clinical experience... nonclinical as well. Get involved in the community and in campus clubs (leadership positions). Research isn't as important for DO schools, so save that for last. Do some tutoring if you can (though, with a 2.7 I doubt you'll find many positions for you (no offense), but try for it anyway if you feel you can do it).
Q6) How do I go about shadowing a doctor? I emailed a few doctors but didnt get a response.
Don't email... call them. Be assertive about it. Shadow a DO if there is any in your area. Call their office, say your a premed student and interested in osteopathic medicine and looking into ______ specialty... or something like that.
Thanks for all your help ! Looking forward to your responses.
-

What would be the best way of getting clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't study for the MCAT yet. You will need some time and strong semesters to pass before you should apply. The only reason to take the MCAT that soon would be if you were to rock your Senior year and then apply for an SMP. You sound like a good candidate for an SMP if you get your gpa into the 3.0 range before graduation.

You asked about clinical experience. It says you're volunteering in the first part of the thread so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for advice on or not. As far as shadowing, you definitely need to be more assertive as toytle says. Sometimes you need to do everything short of waiting in the bushes just to get face time in order to ask physicians. They are busy people and it's easy for them to ignore you until you put some work into it and stand out as someone who deserves their attention.

What would be the best way of getting clinical experience?

Usually hospitals have an application form on their website for volunteers to fill out, followed by a brief interview. Or you can call the hospital and see if any volunteer positions are available, and they'll direct you as to how to go about applying. Another GREAT option that was recommended in another thread is being an ER scribe. You have to apply for this position, but it's an amazing opportunity to see great things. It is a time commitment though, but nothing too crazy. You also get paid for your work.

Other things which would classify as clinical experience would be volunteering in a nursing home or small things like that. It's probably not as valuable as hospital volunteering, but it's something.

I wouldn't study for the MCAT yet. You will need some time and strong semesters to pass before you should apply. The only reason to take the MCAT that soon would be if you were to rock your Senior year and then apply for an SMP. You sound like a good candidate for an SMP if you get your gpa into the 3.0 range before graduation.

+1 to the SMP idea. You should consider it!

I can give you a more in depth answer when I am home but I wanted to state that if you can't get As at a university and get As at a cc, it probably will look questionable. More importantly though you need to figure out what you want. You say you worked hard and can't get As? Either you need to rethink medicine or you need to work harder. Seriously, you need to stop and take a look at what you are doing and fix it. No school is going to take a chance on you, that I can promise. If you can't prove that you can handle science, you aren't going to get in regardless of how bad you want it. Focus on As whatever it takes, and I mean whatever. You need to fix the problem.

I can give you a more in depth answer when I am home but I wanted to state that if you can't get As at a university and get As at a cc, it probably will look questionable. More importantly though you need to figure out what you want. You say you worked hard and can't get As? Either you need to rethink medicine or you need to work harder. Seriously, you need to stop and take a look at what you are doing and fix it. No school is going to take a chance on you, that I can promise. If you can't prove that you can handle science, you aren't going to get in regardless of how bad you want it. Focus on As whatever it takes, and I mean whatever. You need to fix the problem.

Re-taking 4 classes will raise my GPA from 2.79 to 3.2 and then considering that I work harder and get A's ....even then I have a slim chance at getting into med school?

Last edited:
Re-taking 4 classes will raise my GPA from 2.79 to 3.2 and then considering that I work harder and get A's ....even then I have a slim chance at getting into med school?

I think that if you can get your GPA up to a 3.2 and show that you can handle upper level biology courses and get As, you should have a decent shot at getting in somewhere... thats assuming that you do well on the MCAT. Find a way to shadow a DO, you will need a letter.

I think that if you can get your GPA up to a 3.2 and show that you can handle upper level biology courses and get As, you should have a decent shot at getting in somewhere... thats assuming that you do well on the MCAT. Find a way to shadow a DO, you will need a letter.

I agree that the OP would then be worthy of admission... To an SMP. The OP would have one year of an upward trend at that point. It just seems as though it's not enough time to separate from the 2.xx and prove he/she has changed things. Hey, I'm a nontrad that put in the years of post bacc fixing my past so maybe I'm just being extra cautious.:sleep: I need sleep.

For CCOM your MCAT score should be 27 or higher--or they won't look at your app.

I agree that the OP would then be worthy of admission... To an SMP. The OP would have one year of an upward trend at that point. It just seems as though it's not enough time to separate from the 2.xx and prove he/she has changed things. Hey, I'm a nontrad that put in the years of post bacc fixing my past so maybe I'm just being extra cautious.:sleep: I need sleep.

I would consider SMP but right now I have 2 more years to go with a lot 300 and 400 bio courses left....Atleast 12-15 classes left...I wondering if working hard in those 12-15 classes plus 3-4 retakes and a good Mcat would get me into D.O school?

What do you think?

Two years sounds better, but what application cycle are you thinking of applying?

I would consider SMP but right now I have 2 more years to go with a lot 300 and 400 bio courses left....Atleast 12-15 classes left...I wondering if working hard in those 12-15 classes plus 3-4 retakes and a good Mcat would get me into D.O school?

What do you think?

On paper (or, err... forum?) it sounds good. But would you be able to follow through with it? That's a lot of classes to squeeze in since you will be doing retakes as well, plus all the ECs... plus MCAT studying... and you said you worked very hard for those A's this semester but fell short.

I'm honestly not trying to be negative... if you can do it than good for you! I'd definitely say it's possible if you take it seriously. Indeed it is too early to start talking about SMP, since like UpwardTrend asked, it depends on when you're applying. But never rule it out, as it's a great option!

Stay positive and push hard, like you're in labor having triplets.

What do you think?

None of us know your major and the precise courses you need to graduate, so what you need to do is write out a plan for each term on what you can (and feel comfortable) taking. I would suggest retaking those C's at a CC over the summer, and worry about the MCAT when you have some time to study.