Counselor at a crisis hotline- is it an extracurricular activity or healthcare experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bebe12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was a college, peer run crisis hotline which served mainly the campus community but also people outside of campus.

In the same vein, I've had a few public health research internships (paid and unpaid)- these would be extracurricular? Non healthcare volunteers? Not sure how to categorize.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are paid, its a work experience. if you were not paid, then its an extracurricular (more so research, if that is a category).

Reactions: 1 user
This was a college, peer run crisis hotline which served mainly the campus community but also people outside of campus.

In the same vein, I've had a few public health research internships (paid and unpaid)- these would be extracurricular? Non healthcare volunteers? Not sure how to categorize.

I volunteered for a peer-run crisis hotline in college as well. It was a great experience...so I, too, also put it on my app. I categorized it as extracurricular. Hope this helps you decide!

Reactions: 1 user

They're ALL extracurriculars...these are divided into clinical and non-clinical. A crisis hotline would count as clinical in my book.

Reactions: 1 users