Please help me set up a plan for getting into Dental School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROGERxThat

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the community, and I’m glad I’ve found this website!:)

A little background information, I’ve graduated college with a degree in finance, worked for 5 months and did not enjoy it what so ever. I shadowed a family friend who is a dentist and I absolutely loved it! With that being said I’m going back to school...

I finished my finance degree with a 3.3 (I could have done a lot better, but I was more passionate about college sports). I have not taken any science pre reqs, after talking with advisors, I will be able to apply the summer of 2021.

So my question is what should I do to make myself a strong dental school candidate? I am not working, or playing sports, and I am going to dedicate all my time to studies, and shoot for atleast a 3.7 on the pre reqs. How many shadowing hours should I try to obtain? I have about 50 hours volunteering for a low income after school program. I’ve noticed some candidates are involved in dental clubs. Should I look into doing so? My main concern is, if I’m going back to school I want to give myself the best chance at getting in.
I apologize if this post is not allowed here!

Members don't see this ad.

Find a post-bacc program or Masters in the sciences, do well (3.5+), take the DAT get 20+, and then you are good to go!

So I take it you would not recommend just going back to a university and taking the Lee reqs? Honestly I’m not to aware of any post bac programs near me (KS).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I take it you would not recommend just going back to a university and taking the Lee reqs? Honestly I’m not to aware of any post bac programs near me (KS).
Yes you take the prereqs. Those are required for dental schools. Take those and just take the DAT. Don’t need a masters. Just do good in your prereqs, that’s more than enough.

Sweet, as far as shadowing, and volunteering, how many hours should I be shooting for?

Look for career changer post bac programs. Do some volunteering here and there when you have time but that's not the most important thing for you now. sGPA and DAT comes first.
As others have stated above, 100+ shadowing hours is what most schools will probably look for. A bit less is okay too but get hours from multiple dentists. Don't commit all 100 hours to one dentist. Shadow several general dentists and even branch out to other specialities if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in KS and did the exact thing you are planning. PM me.

Would it be a bad idea to do it myself at a university that’s cheaper in my home state? I am not aware of any post bacs near me (KS).

Would it be a bad idea to do it myself at a university that’s cheaper in my home state? I am not aware of any post bacs near me (KS).

Completely fine to do it on your own. Just take the necessary pre-reqs. I was just recommending a career changer because the program guides you through the whole process but if you want cheaper, then definitely to it on your own.

Completely fine to do it on your own. Just take the necessary pre-reqs. I was just recommending a career changer because the program guides you through the whole process but if you want cheaper, then definitely to it on your own.
Sweet, my last question would be does it necessarily matter where I do the pre reqs as long as it’s an accredited university? My state’s schools tuition is around 11k, and other universities in my state such as division 2’s are around 4K. I do plan on taking some student loans so that I can focus on studies but I obviously want to keep it at a minimum.

Sweet, my last question would be does it necessarily matter where I do the pre reqs as long as it’s an accredited university? My state’s schools tuition is around 11k, and other universities in my state such as division 2’s are around 4K. I do plan on taking some student loans so that I can focus on studies but I obviously want to keep it at a minimum.

Does not matter. There might also be more competition at your state school so a random DII school could be the better option.
Unless you want to go to a school like Harvard???, any accredited 4-year institution will be fine

Reactions: 1 user