Please HELP me... I am VERY CONFUSED

Maybe she just wants to get married & have kids.
I have this friend, she majored in psych, did well, but E!, MTV, & VH1 are like her favorite stations, & the only reason she stayed in school is her bf told her he wouldn't marry her if she quit. All this girls wants to do is cook dinner, was the guys clothes, and shop. Some people just want different things out of life, doesn't mean they're not worth it or that they're lazy.

Members don't see this ad.

Update: I love this girl and truly, truly want to be with her. Deep down, I love this person and enjoy every moment spent with her and I realize that's more important than while I'm out or whatnot. We have different priorities indeed but we're also 4 years apart. She is 20 years old and interests in MTV, etc. fade away but her being who she is to me most likely will not. Having realized this, I am not going to rush into anything but I will let us grow together for now. My intentions are to stay with her forever but we both need to see where we go from here. Thank you all who had constructive critism and advice and not so much to the feminists who replied :D It's so amazing to see peers chipping in to help out another peer. Thank you :)

I agree with is being said by all. My wife had friends that went to med school with her. Bacause they didn't talk about the most important things (finances, expectations, children, future outlook) they either quit school and became unhappy or were on the verge of divorce. Thank God I got involved since day one with the journey my wife embarked. I feel that I was a part of her success and failures. And dude, this lady you have at home is the one that should make you happy not the "professional crowd". However, I am hoping to pursue a career in pharmacy. I do this for my own spirit but a small part to keep on the same path with my wife (intellectually) She always says that she accepts me for who I am right now. A good loving women is hard to find. Be honest with her but be fair to her and yourself.

GonnaBeMD,
Here's my $0.02. While it is rather difficult to have a conversation with your girlfriend at times, you might have better luck if you approach the situation from a different perspective. Although I have a college degree as a nurse, my serious boyfriend is an MS4- and it is hard to feel like the less intellectualized, as your girlfriend probably does too. My boyfriend is absolutely wonderful though, so supportive of me, has never belittled my career, tells me constantly how smart I am...even though I know my knowledge will never compare to his. He is constantly supporting me to better myself, take a book and read along side him while he studies, etc. He makes opportunities for me to feel more intelligent. Is there any way you can try to make your girlfriend feel intelligent? Complement her on her studies, ask her about her journalism projects, homework, etc. Make her feel important, like that she is smart too. If everyday you just talk about medical school stuff that she has no idea about , it may be overwhelming to her, and make it seem to you as though she is bored the conversation. She may not be bored by what you are talking about, but just may not know what to say back. She may feel like whatever schooling or whatever she does will not be enough to compensate because she is not in medical school. Maybe she is trying to escape it by watching MTV...it is probably just a phase she will grow out of. Try activities that are fun, but get away from the T.V. Tell her there is something at the museum that you have really wanted to see, or some activity that may be intellectually stimulating. Go to starbucks together while you study, she can look at magazines, take her to the journalism section...whatever it may be. Turn the news on and watch it together. Maybe if you take another look at the situation and make her feel smart, it will encourage her to want to go to school, have scholarly conversations, etc. Find something she is good at that might actually help you. For instance, my boyfriend knows much more about medicine than me, but writing comes easier to me than him. I help him out by reviewing his personal statement, thank you letters, letters to PD, Chairmen, and so on. Find something that she is good at that will complement both of you. I feel important because there is something that I can offer back. She may not be real book smart, but I am sure there are other ways that she is smart. By looking at my grades on paper, I am an average student, but there are many other areas that I excell in that contribute to being a well-rounded person. I am sure you really do love her as it seems that this is tearing at you. I just think you need to shift your outlook to the outside. Put yourself in her shoes. How would it make you feel if you didn't know anything about medicine and she was sharing stories and experiences with you every day that you had know idea what she was talking about. You would probably go in the other room too and turn on the TV. Make her feel important and recognized too, and I bet she will be more receptive to your feelings and concerns. Best of luck to both of you.