This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unique Amy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a community college where I earned a total of 73 credits and a 3.4 GPA.
I then transferred to a university and did not have a smooth transfer. During this time I took most of my pre-requisites. For the longest time, I always had a 2.8-2.9 overall GPA at the university. I had all of my credits to graduate but was embarrassed about my GPA, so I continued taking upper level science classes (biology). I ended up raising my university GPA from a 2.67 to a 3.33 cumulative. In order to make this upward trend my GPA for the last 70 credits was a 3.67 (with approximately 11 4.0's).
To conclude community college GPA 3.4
Overall University 3.33
Overall Science 3.0
Last 70 credits science 3.67

I volunteered for a year and a half in a research lab at my university. I now currently work as an assistant research chemist (9 months). I worked for a year and a half as a dental assistant. I volunteered 10 hours in an autism center. I have 4 publications in my university journals for undergraduate work (only one of them is science related). I received 8 awards/ honors for presenting class work at research colloquiums (only one of them is science related). I was president of two school organizations.
Do I have a chance of getting into medical school or should I be looking into DO school because of my low GPA? I am currently studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: