plan to work in US in the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulu_usd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Canadian with B.Sc. applying for 2006 entrance. Although I love Canada, I want to eventually end up in the states and work & live there. I am looking into a few US schools but really have no idea where I would have the best chance of getting in.
So far, the schools that accept international students that I've found from research are:
Brown (RI)
Standford & Yale (ha! who am i kidding)
NYMC (they want me to have 125 G in my accound before getting in! so NO)
Mt. Sinai
George Washington

Are these reputable schools? There are so many more schools in US than in Canada that it's really hard to find out much about them.

I am not sure what people mean when they say better chance at DO schools?

Also, where I did my bachelors, we used grading scheme out of 100%... how does this translate to 4.0 scale? Is it overall GPA that's looked at or the most recent 2 years (which is the case with UBC and UWO)

My prereqs are really hurting but my recent 60 credits (2 years) are decent. I am rewriting MCAT this year.

I am not sure what my chances are of getting a res in US if I get into one of the Canadian schools this year. If there is anyone who is considering similar routes or can comment on what the best way of ultimately ending up in the states would be, I'd really appreciate it.
BTW, I've done extensive research on Cdn Med schools (UBC, UT, UWO, Mac, Queens) so I would be willing to provide info for anyone interested in these schools.

Thanks a bunch,

LULU

Members don't see this ad.