Plan on working past 70 y.o.? Think again...hospitals are cracking down.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got this memo from my hospital that any physician on staff 70 y.o. or older will now be subject to a mental and physical exam in order to continue to maintain privileges.

POLICY:
It is the policy of *** that any practitioner who is 70 years of age or older (for purposes of this policy, a “late career practitioner”) and who applies to the Medical Staff for appointment with clinical privileges will, as part of the application process, be subject to a clinical skills assessment and a comprehensive health screening that addresses his/her capacity to safely and competently perform the clinical privileges requested, discharge the responsibilities of Medical Staff membership, and work collaboratively in a hospital setting. Practitioners who are currently on the medical staff with clinical privileges and who are 70 years of age or older will be required to undergo this evaluation every two years. This will normally occur with the first reappointment cycle after the appointee reaches age 70 and every two years thereafter. In addition, the hospital’s Medical Staff Credentials Committee (“Credentials Committee”) may request that any practitioner on the medical staff regardless of age complete this evaluation. The clinical skills assessment and health screening described in this policy must indicate that the practitioner has no detected problem(s) that might affect his/her capacity to safely and competently exercise clinical privileges, discharge Medical Staff responsibilities or work cooperatively in the hospital setting. Otherwise, concerns identified by the evaluation with respect to any such matters will be assessed along with other pertinent factors by the applicable Department Chair/Service Chief (hereafter Service Chief) and the Credentials Committee in formulating their recommendations regarding appointment and clinical privileges to the Medical Executive Committee (hereafter MEC) as provided in the hospital’s Medical Staff Bylaws. The Service Chief and the Credentials Committee may request additional information for further evaluation if they determine it to be necessary to assist in making their recommendations

I’m nowhere even close to reaching retirement, but I went ahead and called our credentialing dept. and inquired about this. She mentioned it is not something unique to our hospital. She has gone to various meetings across the country about this; and, although there are mixed feelings, more and more hospitals are implementing some type of ‘Late career practioner’ policy. In addition, there is a growing body of literature supporting the ability of a physician to handle medical duties and a correlation with age.

If there’s one specialty that would be most subjected to this, its Pathology, as we have the highest average retirement age among all doctors. I then asked what the mental & physical assessment consisted of, she mentioned it was given by a primary care doc who would ask you some basic questions.
For example: “In the following pictures of animals, can you tell the difference between a tiger and a bear?”:bear:

Easier than boards…right? But, better start studying, who knows how much we’ll have left in the noggin at 70!🧠

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds better than being put on carousel.

Just run for president if they make ya quit. It has worked well for our country the last 5 yrs having presidents who are septuagenarian.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m working until I croak dammit!!!!! Y’all better call security if you want me to part with my microscope!!!!!!

I retired 8 years ago, 2 months shy of 62. It seems surprising but I still know lots of general surg path.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a good thing

I really think any path who does not HAVE to work should retire asap. We have all lived lives of delayed gratification and it was time for me to switch 180 degrees to the gratification
phase. Y’all should too, when you can. I LIVED with that scope for years and liked my job. I thought I would miss it.
I have not looked thru a scope since September 2013.
I don’t miss it in the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Interesting…probably a good thing. Is it true that airline pilots have a forced retirement age too?

I know a Pathologist who retired but came back to work but only in limited capacity as he was bored during retirement. He is 77 yrs. old and still actively signs out cases.

You have to have SOME meaningful hobby when you retire. That was one of my problems. You can only sit and read for so long. I became a connoisseur of fine craftsman made German and Austrian long arms and high end model 1911
pistols. Hunt feral hogs ~ once a month. Lots of range time. And the reading continues, but not all day. It has proven to be just the ticket for me.

Yes airline pilots have a mandatory retirement age. They also have relatively stringent health checks. My brother's a pilot, and he is always worried about what his blood pressure will be at his next check.

I just turned 70 and needed to go through the mental status and physical exam. I thought about it and agreed that it is probably good to have some assurance that I am capable mentally and physically of doing the job. However it bothers me that there’s an arbitrary age 70. In reality we all know that there are impaired physicians with drug and alcohol problems that should not be practicing. Seems that we should make all physicians go through this.

One of my medical school professors (from 45 years ago ) continues to practice at age 94. Saul Rosenberg MD is still teaching and practicing although with reduced hours. A few years ago Stanford asked him to undergo this type of testing and he with the other professors over age 75 all refused. They were able to get the policy changed to peer review rather than a mental status exam.

There is far, far more cool stuff in this world than the inside of a hospital or lab. Retire as soon as you are able and maybe you can check some of it out.

At some point you are taking money out of the pockets of the next generation. Get the hell out of the way and let them earn theirs.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a Pathologist who retired but came back to work but only in limited capacity as he was bored during retirement. He is 77 yrs. old and still actively signs out cases.
Wonder if we know the same pathologist? :)

Fear of death keeps lots of people working in the after innings.

Fear of death keeps lots of people working in the after innings.

I think it may be fear of living in the “outside” because you’ve spent 35 years in a lab office and it seems alien.

Maybe some work because they really like it.