Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsdhfk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I invite all to answer this question, but it is certainly geared more towards senior year undergrad students.

What is your major? What if you don’t get into veterinary school right away, what is plan B in terms of future schooling and work?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I've fully come to face with the fact that I may not be at a vet school come next fall. However, somewhere in the distance is the idea of moving in with a friend, get a job at a clinic or the like (maybe at a large animal hospital) and then study my ass off for the GRE. If I don't succeed the next year, then I'd consider a masters program...

I have a B.S in ecology, minor in chemistry. This is my first time applying.

Plan B - move back home to save money and keep working at the vet clinic. Meet with the admissions people to see where my app's weak points were and fix them. Apply again. (Lather, rinse, repeat)

If I didn't get in on the second try, I'd look at the Caribbean schools.

But I really hope that Plan A works : )

Members don't see this ad :)
Like others, I haven't fully faced the idea that I might not get in, but there are always a few options. I love one of the clinics I work at and I think I would ask to work there full time and find myself an apartment/force myself upon one of the techs (I'm sure they would love that).

I feel like many of us have a similar plan, which involves two parts:
1) finding a place to live--either with friends or parents
2) more experience, and then if that doesn't work, more schooling.

Which, by the way, is also my plan.

I'm a senior getting a B.S. in biology and a minor in chemistry.

I'm applying in 2008 but if I don't get in I'd probably try to move to California to establish residency (I want to go to Davis but right now I'm OOS), then find work full time at a clinic or zoo or wildlife center, get more experience, and apply again next cycle!! ...or move back home to save on rent and do the same thing there.

...of course, hopefully plan A will pan out!

My Plan B is always the same. This is my 2nd time around and Plan B is usually some thing like this...go chat wiith the adcom people and see why they didn't like me as much as they liked other people", finish my Master's in a more manageable amount of time (I'm doing it in 4 quarters so I could slow down if I don't get in) and keep working at the emergency hospital where I work b/c it is the best job in the wole wide world. I'd also work on getting that elusive food animal experience that is so difficult in a big city. But, usually I first play the pity game if PLan A doesn't work out (cry for a day or so). I find it therapeutic. :)

Melissa

I'm only in my first year, but I already have a Plan B. My major is biology, and my minor is going to be business. My Plan B is to get into a vet tech program, and continue to apply to vet school. If that fails, I wouldn't mind doing something business related.

My major is biology with minors in chemistry and psychology.

Like all of you, I'm really hoping that there is no need for a plan B. But my first step would be to get out of NJ (where i currently go to undergrad) and move back to Texas where the rent is not absolutely insane. Then I would find a job at home at a small animal clinic (there is a new all cat vet down the street from me with a phenomenal vet) and try and find a job/internship/shadow a large animal vet. The large animal vet could be a challenge considering I have yet to find one less than an hour away. Like everybody else, I would also talk to the admissions committees and find out what I could do to improve my application, they know best. Finally, I would try to take a bio course or two each semester to keep my mind fresh.

But... I'd much rather not worry about any of that and just be accepted the first time around. :)

If I don't get in (this is my first time applying) I plan on working on my weaknesses. I am severely lacking in large animal experince and so if I don't get in, I plan on moving back in with my parents (uck..) and seeing if I can become a farmhand on one of the local farms. I REALLY, REALLY hope this doesn't happen, but it's not a perfect world out there so I would just have to keep on trying. However, I will only apply to Vet School three times, after that, I don't really know - go back and get a masters? Haven't really thought that far, but I know that I want to start a family between ages 30 and 35, so I think 3 times applying would be sufficient.

Oh, I am a biology major with a minor in chemistry.

Well my mom's friend just graduated and didn't get into school right away so she's going back to school and applying next year again. (or something like that)