Back-up plan? Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flotus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I need to make some decisions about what will happen if I don't get into vet school this cycle.

I need to apply to "back up" masters programs over the summer because they are accelerated and I would do some coursework in my senior year. I don't want to commit to a 2 yr program because I don't want to delay applying to vet school. Good news is if I get in this cycle, I don't have to finish a program and nothing is lost. If I don't get in this cycle, I can apply next cycle as normal and will have my masters degree before matriculation. Due to needing to apply to an accelerated program my options are limited at my university. They are as follows:
physiology
biology
healthcare ethics (philosophy)

My dilemma: I really want to apply to the healthcare ethics program because I want to continue to refine my critical thinking skills, ethical problem solving, and I know it will help me in practice but I'm concerned this won't look good on a potential future application because it isn't a hard science? My science GPA is also not great (about a 3.4).

Any advice?

Hopefully, I will get in this cycle and I won't need to use this back-up plan but I want to be proactive. (speaking it into existence: I WILL get in this cycle!)

Members don't see this ad.

If you never gain entrance into vet school or leave partway through, is the masters something you could use for a future career path? If not, do not waste your time and money on a masters degree.
Your better path would be to continue gaining experience vs wasting money on a masters that you would not use if vet school doesn’t work out. As much as people don’t want to think about that possibility, it is a very real possibility. Why put yourself into more debt when the degree isn’t something you would use? Gain more varied vet experience instead. If you have a lot of small animal and little large animal, continue to get more LA. Or shelter medicine. Or ER. If you can get into an exotics clinic, do that. Bulk up your experience instead of dumping money into a masters program.

Reactions: 7 users
If you never gain entrance into vet school or leave partway through, is the masters something you could use for a future career path? If not, do not waste your time and money on a masters degree.
Your better path would be to continue gaining experience vs wasting money on a masters that you would not use if vet school doesn’t work out. As much as people don’t want to think about that possibility, it is a very real possibility. Why put yourself into more debt when the degree isn’t something you would use? Gain more varied vet experience instead. If you have a lot of small animal and little large animal, continue to get more LA. Or shelter medicine. Or ER. If you can get into an exotics clinic, do that. Bulk up your experience instead of dumping money into a masters program.
Yes! I will absolutely do that. However, I think this is a useful degree in and out of vet med. If I do not go into vet med, I would likely do a PHD in bioethics or public health and the masters program will be useful. However, I also find it useful for vet med which is my main goal. I think it’s a win-win. I will also spend more time diversifying experience but I don’t think that’s where I lack (over 6k hours in small/large/exotics). I just want to be the best future applicant, so I wanted to see if others would find the program dumb or if they think it would look good on an application. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think vet schools would find it dumb and may ask about it in interviews if you go that route (if you don’t get in this cycle) and you could explain your reasoning for why you chose that masters program. Go for the one you think is interesting and could make a career out of.

I don’t think vet schools would find it dumb and may ask about it in interviews if you go that route (if you don’t get in this cycle) and you could explain your reasoning for why you chose that masters program. Go for the one you think is interesting and could make a career out of.
Thank you very much for your advice <3

Planning to abandon a program part-way through if you do get in is not something I would recommend. If you want it as a back-up (like Ski said above, is it something you’d plan to use if you never got in?) then do it properly and complete the program (or be on track to finish) prior to starting vet school.

However, if you don’t get in, the questions you need to ask yourself are:

- Why didn’t you get in? If your GPA isn’t strong, consider retaking your poor grades or maybe doing something of a DIY post-bac to prove your mettle in the more rigorous hard sciences. Perhaps it would be more worth it at this early stage in the game to do this instead; it’s a lot less of a deal to drop classes if you’re accepted.

- How many times will you try? At what point do you truly make the switch over to a plan B as the new plan A for your career/professional life?

Reactions: 2 users
Planning to abandon a program part-way through if you do get in is not something I would recommend. If you want it as a back-up (like Ski said above, is it something you’d plan to use if you never got in?) then do it properly and complete the program (or be on track to finish) prior to starting vet school.

However, if you don’t get in, the questions you need to ask yourself are:

- Why didn’t you get in? If your GPA isn’t strong, consider retaking your poor grades or maybe doing something of a DIY post-bac to prove your mettle in the more rigorous hard sciences. Perhaps it would be more worth it at this early stage in the game to do this instead; it’s a lot less of a deal to drop classes if you’re accepted.

- How many times will you try? At what point do you truly make the switch over to a plan B as the new plan A for your career/professional life?
I wouldn't be abandoning the program! The program is meant for people wanting to apply to professional school. The plan "A" is starting graduate coursework while in undergrad for the same price as undergrad coursework and most will graduate with a bachelors and just go into professional school, with some graduate coursework under their belt. Plan "B" is that you don't get into professional school on your first try, but have already started graduate coursework and can finish the accelerated degree in 1 year. Then, you would have (working towards) a masters when applying to professional school the second year. The school has set the program up as a back-up plan, and created the accelerated degree but you must begin in undergrad. However, there are only 3 programs set up like this (healthcare ethics, bio, and physio).

I agree with asking myself all of those questions. I will also reach out to the schools for file reviews if I do not get in. I also have set my own realistic boundaries about applying to vet school and my back up plan. All of the masters degrees will be useful to either vet school or my back up career plan.

However, I guess I am looking for advice on which academic back up plan will make me the best future applicant. My options are limited when it comes to which masters program I will choose if I don't get in, because of needing it to be an accelerated program so I don't abandon it. I will NEED to complete a 1 year masters program if I do not gain entry into vet school after my first cycle. I will need to do the one year master's for funding reasons and housing reasons.

I want to choose the masters program that will prepare me best for my future

I wouldn't be abandoning the program! The program is meant for people wanting to apply to professional school. The plan "A" is starting graduate coursework while in undergrad for the same price as undergrad coursework and most will graduate with a bachelors and just go into professional school, with some graduate coursework under their belt. Plan "B" is that you don't get into professional school on your first try, but have already started graduate coursework and can finish the accelerated degree in 1 year. Then, you would have (working towards) a masters when applying to professional school the second year. The school has set the program up as a back-up plan, and created the accelerated degree but you must begin in undergrad. However, there are only 3 programs set up like this (healthcare ethics, bio, and physio).

I agree with asking myself all of those questions. I will also reach out to the schools for file reviews if I do not get in. I also have set my own realistic boundaries about applying to vet school and my back up plan. All of the masters degrees will be useful to either vet school or my back up career plan.

However, I guess I am looking for advice on which academic back up plan will make me the best future applicant. My options are limited when it comes to which masters program I will choose if I don't get in, because of needing it to be an accelerated program so I don't abandon it. I will NEED to complete a 1 year masters program if I do not gain entry into vet school after my first cycle. I will need to do the one year master's for funding reasons and housing reasons.

I want to choose the masters program that will prepare me best for my future
I was confused by your wording (“Good news is if I get in this cycle, I don't have to finish a program and nothing is lost.”)

Are these programs SMPs? As in geared toward (primarily) premed students trying to boost their academic credentials prior to applying/reapplying? I ask because that influences my answer. SMP coursework in a hard science would be better to point toward your improvement and maturation as a student, being able to handle tougher science courses. That balances out the potential concern of a lower science GPA and can overall support a claim to be prepared for the rigors of professional school course load.

On the other hand, you sound more interested in the ethics option. The benefit there would be being able to talk more enthusiastically and genuinely about the program.

At the end of the day, I see benefits to either option. I’ll be honest - I don’t think an accelerated one year Masters program in any topic is a going to be a big contributor in preparing you for your future plans. I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear, and I don’t mean it in a snarky way. Just food for thought that perhaps the decision isn’t as weighty as you might think - which hopefully eases some of the stress of choosing.

Reactions: 2 users
I was confused by your wording (“Good news is if I get in this cycle, I don't have to finish a program and nothing is lost.”)

Are these programs SMPs? As in geared toward (primarily) premed students trying to boost their academic credentials prior to applying/reapplying? I ask because that influences my answer. SMP coursework in a hard science would be better to point toward your improvement and maturation as a student, being able to handle tougher science courses. That balances out the potential concern of a lower science GPA and can overall support a claim to be prepared for the rigors of professional school course load.

On the other hand, you sound more interested in the ethics option. The benefit there would be being able to talk more enthusiastically and genuinely about the program.

At the end of the day, I see benefits to either option. I’ll be honest - I don’t think an accelerated one year Masters program in any topic is a going to be a big contributor in preparing you for your future plans. I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear, and I don’t mean it in a snarky way. Just food for thought that perhaps the decision isn’t as weighty as you might think - which hopefully eases some of the stress of choosing.
I completely understand how I could’ve confused you and I’m sorry! Thank you for your genuine answer.

All of the programs are geared towards pre-med or pre-health sciences. I agree that the physiology or biology programs could boost my science gpa and prove that I am ready for the rigor of vet school. However, I’m also scared that physio/bio would lower my science GPA because I’m a B student in science. I’ve never made a C in a science course or anything lower than a B, but I literally am a straight B student and that’s why my science GPA is closer to a 3.4 rather than higher. Truthfully, I don’t get in I think my gpa will be what held me back (3.6 overall and a 3.4 ish science) which is another reason why I am thinking the masters route. However, it’s really due to funding and housing and some other personal things with health insuranc as to why I must remain in school if I don’t get into vet school.
Still, im more interested in bioethics because it incorporates bio and ethics. Im literally just scared a vet school will say “well you didn’t do a science heavy masters so you must not want to go in a science heavy field” which isn’t true :/
Idk im rambling at this point.
thank you for easing my mind.

I completely understand how I could’ve confused you and I’m sorry! Thank you for your genuine answer.

All of the programs are geared towards pre-med or pre-health sciences. I agree that the physiology or biology programs could boost my science gpa and prove that I am ready for the rigor of vet school. However, I’m also scared that physio/bio would lower my science GPA because I’m a B student in science. I’ve never made a C in a science course or anything lower than a B, but I literally am a straight B student and that’s why my science GPA is closer to a 3.4 rather than higher. Truthfully, I don’t get in I think my gpa will be what held me back (3.6 overall and a 3.4 ish science) which is another reason why I am thinking the masters route. However, it’s really due to funding and housing and some other personal things with health insuranc as to why I must remain in school if I don’t get into vet school.
Still, im more interested in bioethics because it incorporates bio and ethics. Im literally just scared a vet school will say “well you didn’t do a science heavy masters so you must not want to go in a science heavy field” which isn’t true :/
Straight Bs aren’t bad at all :) I can’t imagine an admission committee saying something like that either. I think they would prefer you to do something you can speak passionately (or at least enthusiastically) about that can tie in to vet med. the bioethics path sounds like it fits the bill for you.

Reactions: 1 users

Doing a non-heavy science masters shouldn't be a negative. There are people including myself that majored in a non-hard science and still got into vet school. This masters is even medically related and can easily be connected to vetmed if interviewers ask. It just may not help with your science GPA portion of your grades but if you enjoy the subject that may make it easier to get a better last 45 credit GPA or improve your cGPA.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users