picking the best school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in considering which school to attend (IF- big IF- i get multiple acceptances) there are 2 main criteria for selection (for me, that is).
1) location
2) COMLEX scores

the second b/c boards are def. correlated w/residency placement.

Is there some website that lists the board scores for each school?
if not, will admissions give me an answer (an honest one) to that question if i call each school?

If you already know board scores for a part school or how students generally fare, PLS post.

i've already heard that KCOM is well above avg
and that NYCOM is below avg.
true?:p

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DOapplicant
in considering which school to attend (IF- big IF- i get multiple acceptances) there are 2 main criteria for selection (for me, that is).
1) location
2) COMLEX scores

the second b/c boards are def. correlated w/residency placement.

Is there some website that lists the board scores for each school?
if not, will admissions give me an answer (an honest one) to that question if i call each school?

If you already know board scores for a part school or how students generally fare, PLS post.

i've already heard that KCOM is well above avg
and that NYCOM is below avg.
true?:p

According to there own site...KCOM is tops in every way concerning the COMLEX I. Of course...the few at the top are pretty darn close. See http://www.kcom.edu/spotlight/primarycare.htm

DO applicant,
Don't let board scores make your decision. Your board scores will be determined by how much effort you put into studying for your classes and for the boards. I am a 3rd year at OUCOM and our pass rate this last year was less than impressive. However, @ least three other students in addition to myself scored in the 99th percentile b/c we studied hard on our own. I agree with you that location is important. Go to a school that will afford you many options for rotations or a school that is affiliated with the particular type of residency that you may be shooting for.
Best of luck.

First off, what is the "average" that NYCOM would be below? The pass rate at NYCOM has run anywhere between 92 and 96% over the past few years from what I remember. Now, think about it. This small fraction is the difference of a few people passing the test or not out of close to 300 students. On the other end of the spectrum, the upper tier at nycom did very well, with many students placing above the 80% mark and a bunch over 90%. And the above poster is right, you can go to Harvard and still fail the boards if you dont do anything. Only so much fits on a spoon.

As far as residency goes, yes boards are important, but your clerkships are just as important. NYCOMs rotations will out- compete close to anyone, D.O. or MD. Honestly. NYCOM students rotate shoulder to shoulder with NYU, Stonybrook, Downstate, Yale, etc, plus their main clinical affiliate, North Shore Univesity Health System/LIJ, was named the best hospital system in the country by the AARP. Granted, the AARP may not be the end-all of health-care evaluation, but they are the largest dues paying organization in the country, their magazine has the largest circulation, and they're a powerful force in washington.

Anyway, my point is that you're really doing yourself a disservice if you limit your criteria to boards and location. Open your eyes a bit, there's much more to consider.

good luck.