Physics Graduate from Asia with Low GPA wants to go to medical school. Is there a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papi_md

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here at SdN (signed up a few minutes ago). Anyway, I graduated in physics 2 years ago and I'm currently working as a full time IT consultant (which is very far off physics, jumped from job to job first as a call center agent now landed here). I'm from the Philippines and would like to pursue being an MD, but I preferably pursue it in America or anywhere (just not here). However, I did not perform really good when I was undergraduate (family problems, depression, series of bad life decisions and all that) so my grades are real low. Sciences GPA is approx. 3.0 to 3.2, (just calculated this morning). I still don't know what my overall GPA is (including maths and english and all the other subjects, but I'm pretty sure it would be lower than my sci GPA). My sciences is composed by about 90% physics. I only took 1 year of chemistry and 1 semester of biology (w/ lab). I still am yet to take MCAT.

As i have read mostly, I don't have a chance because of my GPA (unless I do extremely good in MCAT but no guarantee of it) but I still want to try. I've decided that if I really wanted to go to medical school, I have to consider doing post bacc or go to Caribbean schools. In addition to this, I am from a poor family from a third world country and am a breadwinner so I can't go to medical school right now but I am willing to prepare myself as early as now. Anyway, what I would like is advise for the ffs:

1. If I am to take non-degree program to pull up my GPA, what classes should I take?
2. Would it make any significant changes or would it be part of the computation of my undergrad grades?
3. My sister who is a nurse advised me to take the Red Cross trainings (BLS/CPR/AED), would it make my resume a bit "good" to look at?
4. Would it be also better to take a graduate course (Medical Physics) than to take post bacc?
5. Based on my "biography", on your opinion, do I stand a chance to be accepted at any med school?
Sorry for the long post, I'm honestly lost at the moment and would be very happy to get an honest response. Thanks guys and more power!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where did you obtain your undergraduate Physics degree: in the Philippines or USA? Are you a US citizen?
Hey faha thanks, I obtained it in the philippines currently living here too.

If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident of the USA then your options are limited since many US medical schools do not accept international applicants who have not done their undergraduate studies in the USA. You will need to contact each medical school you are interested in and see what the policy is for each school.