Physician Salaries - below 100K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know what a straw man is? Might want to google it.

Hahaha you guys are ****ing quoting Ayn Rand already, jesus christ. Talk about a bunch of selfish entitled *****s. Here's something: YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO MAKE $500k A YEAR. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THAT. Do you understand?

I am a PGY-1 psychiatry resident with a plan to go into academic medicine. I'm not exactly motivated by the pursuit of wealth. And I doubt I'm too different from a number of other posters in this thread who disagree with single-payer insurance.

While you're googling straw man you might also want to google entitlement. Entitlement is the belief that simply because of who you are, you deserve something. No one here is arguing that. We are arguing that based on the years of self-sacrifice, the high stresses and demands of the job, and the carefully cultivated ability through years of practice and education, that we deserve to be recompensed accordingly.

Entitlement is probably a better label to use for people who believe in socialized medicine by whatever stupid lexical game you play when you label it. People who believe that healthcare should be taken care of by the rest of society without any input from themselves. People who believe they have a 'right' to other peoples' pocketbooks to take care of their health, but don't believe they have a responsibility to husband their own health and make cost-effective decisions.

I'm not surprised that our culture in medicine breeds such insufferable selfish jackasses, in light of the fact that people graduate hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. But you are supposed to be becoming a doctor to heal people, or did you forget?

You're damn right I went into medicine to help people. Gave up my dream job to be here. I love working with low-income folks, believe it or not. And would rather shoot myself than take care of the whining, walking well. But I didn't go into medicine so I could be walked all over like I'm a freaking welcome mat. I'll treat your GERD, sure, but if you don't even attempt to work at reducing the 100lbs of abdominal obesity raising your IAP and overwhelming the physiologic LES, don't expect me to keep escalating your level of care, all the while demanding that someone else pay for it. I'll work with you on your diabetes, advocating lifestyle change and helping you to implement it, but don't expect me to just say 'oh that's ok that you're lazy. I guess metformin won't cut it. time to break out a 7000 dollar a year solution where willpower would suffice.'

My job--my calling--is to help people and more importantly to help them help themselves. Anyone who preaches rhetoric that takes away from this, anyone who tries to setup a system which disincentivizes this model, is my enemy.

You guys are advocating massive wealth transfers from the lower and middle classes to insurance companies. You actually argued this. Taxpayer subsidies for private insurance. Private insurance that takes 30% overhead for administrative cost, advertising, and executive pay. Why?

After you're done googling entitlement and straw man arguments, you might want to read back through this thread. Almost no one has supported the status quo. Most of us have talked about reducing the demand for healthcare in the first place. Not giving more money to insurance, but reducing the amount we spend on both insurance and healthcare in general.

When people ask me what my goal in life is, I usually tell them it's to become useless. Obviously, that will never happen. But all the same, I want to live in a world where patients have become so damned good at taking care of their own health that our reliance on healthcare is reduced drastically.

Free market bull**** does not work in healthcare because HEALTH IS NOT A COMMODITY. I mean **** did you guys ever take more than freshman econ or something? Why in god's name do you trust monolithic profit-driven poorkillers to deliver fair care at all? They will do anything to maximize profit, and that means royall **** over patients and doctors whenever they get the chance. That is how they operate.

Cute, you bring up econ but you clearly missed the first lesson. Which is basical supply and demand. We are demanding more and more healthcare at every turn. Look at how fancy treatments are getting for just about anything. For marginal gains. Is januvia really a better drug than metformin? Is celebrex more effective than meloxicam? Look at how we eat away at our own health. 7 of the top 10 most expensive conditions are largely if not entirely preventable. Furthermore, effective lifestyle management will significantly reduce the costs of all of those.

The higher the demand the higher the price the market is willing to bear.

And the 'insurance' system which is really about health maintenance only exacerbates the problem since it conceals those costs in large part. Socialized medicine would be even worse since it conceals the costs entirely.

Metformin costs 4 dollars a month. It's pretty darn effective. Some of the newer diabetes meds cost hundreds a month. And aren't really any more effective.

Meloxicam costs 4 dollars a month. Celebrex costs 150 a month. Again, no real difference in efficacy.

When I first broke down and started taking something for my severe spinal arthritis, I had good health insurance. My doctor suggested celebrex, since ibuprofen had absolutely no effect on me except water retention. With a 'real' cost (to insurance) of 1800 dollars a year. My personal cost? 120 a year. When I switched insurance plans, I lost prescription coverage for 6 months. I converted to mobic. ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN EFFICACY OR SIDE EFFECTS. Which is backed up in studies, where mobic has been shown to have no greater side effect potential than placebo. 48 dollars versus 120 isn't a big difference, which is all I saw.

Most people when faced with that small of a difference would say 'well, let me use the newer one, just because." If faced with 1800 versus 48 for virtually the same efficacy, they'd go with 48.

Guess what? With millions of people every day making similarly blinded decisions (aciphex instead of prilosec or even famotidine, pristiq instead of venlafaxine, combo pills instead of the separate medications), it's not very hard for the costs to mount dramatically. IT's just that we as the consumer don't see it due to copays. We DO see it in our premiums.

And of course we haven't gotten into the matter of lifestyle prevention. Minimal exercise is twice as effective as statins in reducing ischemic events, among many other well-documented benefits including increase in on-the-job productivity, decreased sick days, longer productive life, lower rates of cancer, dementia, arthritis, etc. Those that engage in such things see no monetary reward. While those that don't see no monetary loss.

On my health insurance plan, I, a guy who eats a solid diet, watches his bodyweight, exercises regularly, etc, pay exactly the same premium as the morbidly obese turtles trundling around the hospital.

Here again, the cost of being obese or simply not taking care of oneself is concealed because there are people like me who subsidize their lifestyles.

Your tired little simplistic arguments are old. It's amusing that you find yourself resorting to profanities when logic breaks down. Which isn't surprising since there isn't a ton of logic in your posts.

Everyone's talking about 'bending the cost curve down'. It doesn't take a genius to realize that the easiest way of reducing total healthcare costs is reducing total demand for healthcare, whether it's choosing older standbys that cost orders of magnitude less than newer fancier drugs that offer marginal--if any--benefits, or simply reducing the need for healthcare intervention by living healthier.

Members don't see this ad.

Guess what? With millions of people every day making similarly blinded decisions (aciphex instead of prilosec or even famotidine, pristiq instead of venlafaxine, combo pills instead of the separate medications), it's not very hard for the costs to mount dramatically. IT's just that we as the consumer don't see it due to copays. We DO see it in our premiums.
I completely agree. The effect also travels a long way before it comes back to the consumer. If your premium for the month increased immediately after buying the expensive name-brand medication, you might think twice. But it won't. It'll increase in a year, as it does every year.

But you are supposed to be becoming a doctor to heal people, or did you forget?

Bull ****. No one dictates to me why I'm "supposed to be becoming a doctor".

Free market bull**** does not work in healthcare because HEALTH IS NOT A COMMODITY. I mean **** did you guys ever take more than freshman econ or something? Why in god's name do you trust monolithic profit-driven poorkillers to deliver fair care at all? They will do anything to maximize profit, and that means royall **** over patients and doctors whenever they get the chance. That is how they operate.

Ok, lets exchange the "monolithic profit-driven poorkillers" for "power-hungry profit-driven bull **** politicians" controlling your health.

Trying to argue both that the majority of the uninsured are that way willingly, that they are young and stupid, that obese people deserve it, and that bankruptices aren't really usually do to healthcare costs just belies your total ****ing ignorance on the matter and your utter unfamiliarity with the real world. I'm not surprised, someone reading Ayn Rand and masturbating to pictures of himself as the next Galt is way out of touch with reality.

We have a terrible healthcare system that is bankrupting us and you all want to continue it. Profit has no place in healthcare, there is no free market in healthcare, stop reading Ayn Rand and listening to Glenn Beck.

Ok, where does profit have a place then?

Ugh you guys are so goddamn immature it makes me sick. Hope you never have to deal with a cancer diagnosis followed immediately by the rescission of the insurance plan you'd paid into for years. Or followed immediately by your employer firing you. And those are the people with insurance!

This country is ****ed.

Bad day? Sounds like you need a hug.

Members don't see this ad :)
There seems to be this myth that a lot of the uninsured are people who could otherwise afford insurance but decided not to.

In 2004:
About 45 million people were uninsured.
11 million were eligible for public coverage but not enrolled.
9 million could afford insurance but didn't have any
The rest (25 million) could not afford insurance and did not have any.

http://healthaff.highwire.org/cgi/co...tract/26/1/w22

So now let's stop pretending like we don't have a problem.

There seems to be this myth that a lot of the uninsured are people who could otherwise afford insurance but decided not to.

In 2004:

And at least 1/3 of that 25 million are in this country illegally...

Hahaha you guys are ****ing quoting Ayn Rand already, jesus christ. Talk about a bunch of selfish entitled *****s. Here's something: YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO MAKE $500k A YEAR. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO THAT. Do you understand?

I'm not surprised that our culture in medicine breeds such insufferable selfish jackasses, in light of the fact that people graduate hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. But you are supposed to be becoming a doctor to heal people, or did you forget?

You guys are advocating massive wealth transfers from the lower and middle classes to insurance companies. You actually argued this. Taxpayer subsidies for private insurance. Private insurance that takes 30% overhead for administrative cost, advertising, and executive pay. Why?

Insurance companies offer nothing to the situation other than inflated cost and inefficiency. They have failed failed failed to do anything but balloon costs out of control. And you know what? Doctors have failed failed failed to acknowledge as a body that fee-for-service is unethical and is intertwined in this mess as well.

Trying to argue both that the majority of the uninsured are that way willingly, that they are young and stupid, that obese people deserve it, and that bankruptices aren't really usually do to healthcare costs just belies your total ****ing ignorance on the matter and your utter unfamiliarity with the real world. I'm not surprised, someone reading Ayn Rand and masturbating to pictures of himself as the next Galt is way out of touch with reality.

We have a terrible healthcare system that is bankrupting us and you all want to continue it. Profit has no place in healthcare, there is no free market in healthcare, stop reading Ayn Rand and listening to Glenn Beck.

Ugh you guys are so goddamn immature it makes me sick. Hope you never have to deal with a cancer diagnosis followed immediately by the rescission of the insurance plan you'd paid into for years. Or followed immediately by your employer firing you. And those are the people with insurance!

This country is ****ed.

Thank you :clap:

In 2004:

I don't think anyone is pretending we don't have a problem, but I don't see our 45 million people uninsured as the big problem (that number is inflated anyways). That's just a symptom of the real problem, which in my opinion, is the bloated (and still growing) administration/middle men between physicians and their patients.

I don't think anyone is pretending we don't have a problem, but I don't see our 45 million people uninsured as the big problem (that number is inflated anyways). That's just a symptom of the real problem, which in my opinion, is the bloated (and still growing) administration/middle men between physicians and their patients.

you're inflated

There are a 2 simple solutions that would give better results, cost the taxpayers very little and improve care and should be tried before a massive overhaul of the US health care system, which does provide the best, most advanced care in the world

1. Eliminate restrictions, and allow insurance companies to compete across state lines.

2. Tort reform, a big issue with costs is doctors ordering every single test imaginable even if its not really needed to cover themselves from getting sued.

However, the biggest problem is the American people themselves. We need to eat better, stop smoking, stop excessive drinking and start exercising more. So many diseases can be prevented and so much money can be saved by people taking more personal responsibility. What we really dont need is the gov't getting more involved. USPS, sucks loses billions a year, Medicare/medicade, loses billions a year almost bankrupt. SSI, almost bankrupt, Cash for Clunkers, only miscalculated the cost by 2 billion on a 1 billion dollar program. If private companies have enough competition they will become more efficent and deliver a better product or they will go out of buisness. Socializing health care will bankrupt the country. Look at Mass. they have tried this, people have been waiting months for Dr. appointments and Mass. is destroying Mass. economy. California, most entiltlements and social programs of any state, highest taxes of any state and they are bankrupt.

There are a 2 simple solutions that would give better results, cost the taxpayers very little and improve care and should be tried before a massive overhaul of the US health care system, which does provide the best, most advanced care in the world

1. Eliminate restrictions, and allow insurance companies to compete across state lines.

2. Tort reform, a big issue with costs is doctors ordering every single test imaginable even if its not really needed to cover themselves from getting sued.

However, the biggest problem is the American people themselves. We need to eat better, stop smoking, stop excessive drinking and start exercising more. So many diseases can be prevented and so much money can be saved by people taking more personal responsibility. What we really dont need is the gov't getting more involved. USPS, sucks loses billions a year, Medicare/medicade, loses billions a year almost bankrupt. SSI, almost bankrupt, Cash for Clunkers, only miscalculated the cost by 2 billion on a 1 billion dollar program. If private companies have enough competition they will become more efficent and deliver a better product or they will go out of buisness. Socializing health care will bankrupt the country. Look at Mass. they have tried this, people have been waiting months for Dr. appointments and Mass. is destroying Mass. economy. California, most entiltlements and social programs of any state, highest taxes of any state and they are bankrupt.

The idea that the healthcare debacle can be solved easily is fairly ungrounded, and somewhat scary. The issue is very complex, so to suggest tort reform would have a significant effect on healthcare spending suggests a tenuous grasp on the topic.

I get the impression that people don't understand the difference between the government insurance option and nationalized health care. It's basic, really, and yet people keep lamenting about this new legislation would mean the government controls all of the health system. Government bureaucrats will be crawling all over, getting between you and your doctor. Wait lists out the door. Etc, etc. However, if you look at the current system and make an honest, objective assessment, you'll see profit-seeking insurance bureaucrats who control every facet of health care accessibility. If anyone has spent time in a real doctors office, you're familiar with pre-authorization. Physicians will see a patient, decide the best treatment plan, then based on the whims of the insurance company, they will need to change the treatment based on what is covered by the company.

What I'm saying is that those who suggest that bureaucrats will step between you and your doctor don't seem to understand how things work now. Because it's happening right now. Something like 30% of health care dollars go administrative costs, including billing, paperwork, etc. There's got to be a better way, and being supportive of the status quo doesn't help.

And at least 1/3 of that 25 million are in this country illegally...

You can vilify people as much as you'd like, but they're a health care burden regardless of nationality. 60% of health care costs are paid for by the federal government, partly because people like this need to show up the ER for treatment. It's no secret that ER physicians aren't too concerned with cost, unlike PCPs.

Someone was mentioning that preventative medical problems, like smoking, diabetes, etc., are a part of the problem. We need people to see physicians more often, and sooner, before their disease burden is to the point where it costs the health care system much more than is needed. Universal coverage is how we can educate people about the right way to eat, how much exercise to get, whatever, because they're not going to show up when they don't have insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow I remember being a sophomore in high-school, reading Marx and Lenin, and having all these warm ideas about how if only wealth were equalized, all the good that could come of it; how people could live in peace and harmony, and just BE. Just like Tiesto said, "just be".

These are very nice things to think about until you have enough life experience to realize that they will never happen. People (crackheads, doctors, politicians..) will generally find whatever life they seek. If you make things easier for them, you help them in reaching their goals (which can be positive ie medicine, or negative ie taking over territory to pimp or sell rocks) but you won't change their goals without some very special circumstances.

I remember being a sophomore in high school, and thinking Ayn Rand was an intellectual, and that market forces fix everything.

I remember being a sophomore in high school, and thinking Ayn Rand was an intellectual, and that market forces fix everything.

never been much of a fan of Rand. Whether you lean towards Rand or Marx, these ideologies are only useful in giving the reader an example of how things could be (from the author's perspective) if the world worked a certain, predictable way, but it doesn't.

The idea that the healthcare debacle can be solved easily is fairly ungrounded, and somewhat scary. The issue is very complex, so to suggest tort reform would have a significant effect on healthcare spending suggests a tenuous grasp on the topic.

I get the impression that people don't understand the difference between the government insurance option and nationalized health care. It's basic, really, and yet people keep lamenting about this new legislation would mean the government controls all of the health system. Government bureaucrats will be crawling all over, getting between you and your doctor. Wait lists out the door. Etc, etc. However, if you look at the current system and make an honest, objective assessment, you'll see profit-seeking insurance bureaucrats who control every facet of health care accessibility. If anyone has spent time in a real doctors office, you're familiar with pre-authorization. Physicians will see a patient, decide the best treatment plan, then based on the whims of the insurance company, they will need to change the treatment based on what is covered by the company.

What I'm saying is that those who suggest that bureaucrats will step between you and your doctor don't seem to understand how things work now. Because it's happening right now. Something like 30% of health care dollars go administrative costs, including billing, paperwork, etc. There's got to be a better way, and being supportive of the status quo doesn't help.

Of course it is not simple. but a 1500 page bill is ridiculous. A govt plan will ruin all of private insurance. Example, say a company would pay a 8% fine if they didnt provide insurance but insurance costs them 10% right now. There is no reason for them not to pay the fine and enroll all employees in the public option. Private insurance companies need to make money the govt dosent.

tort reform wont help. Are you kidding me, drs. wouldnt have to order every single test under the sun so they dont get their asses sued. Decrease extrenuous, not needed tests will lower medical costs. There are plenty of people who go to an orthopedists who really have no reason to get an MRI but the Dr. orders one just to be sure to protect there asses. I bet every ortho surgeon in orders at least 100 meaningless MRIs yearly just to be sure.

The biggest issue with Obama's plan is that his contention that health care as is right now is unsustainable. Okay fine, then how the hell can 85% of the country with insurance that 90% think is excellent keep their plan, which according to the president is unsustainable. Then on top of that lets just provide free care for the rest.

The number of 45 million is overstated. first 1/3 are illegal, brings the number down to 30 million. Another 1/3+ can qualifiy for an existing gov't program, or have the ability to buy insurance but dont. so the total number of ACTUAL people who are uninsured is between 10-15 million people which is less than 5% of the population. There is no need to change the whole system, which provides the most accessible, best care in the world for less than 5% of people. Let the private companies compete, the way things are now there is no reason for them to become more efficent and give lower prices because there is no competition for them because there is no interstate competition. Finally, anything the gov't touches, they severely miscalculate cost. so that 1.5 trillion number is probally closer to like 8 trillion

Another 1/3+ can qualifiy for an existing gov't program, or have the ability to buy insurance but dont.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you determine that someone can afford to buy health insurance, but they choose not to. I'm not saying that it's not valid to categorize people that way. I'm just curious how you would exactly determine that. It seems to me that unless they admitted that on a survey or something, you're probably being a little too presumptuous.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you determine that someone can afford to buy health insurance, but they choose not to. I'm not saying that it's not valid to categorize people that way. I'm just curious how you would exactly determine that. It seems to me that unless they admitted that on a survey or something, you're probably being a little too presumptuous.
If I remember correctly, I think out of that 1/3 quote, about half made between $50000-$75000 and the other half made $100000+ or something like that. They admitted this on the survey. You should be able to afford insurance with that income.

If I remember correctly, I think out of that 1/3 quote, about half made between $50000-$75000 and the other half made $100000+ or something like that. They admitted this on the survey. You should be able to afford insurance with that income.

Yeah you probably should be able to get insurance at that income, but I'm sure there are some pretty legit reasons why someone who makes 50 or 60k a year might choose to spend his/her money on other things besides health insurance for themselves (especially if they're supporting families with that income in a high cost of living area).

I think there were something like 7 million people who make 75k+ a year who choose not to buy it. I know alot of people in my age range 24-28 who dont bother to pay for insurance when there employer picks up half the cost because they dont think they need it and dont want to spend the extra 150 bucks a month for it. although they have no issue spending 120 on a blackberry that they have zero use for or spending 100 per weekend at a bar. They say they cant afford it because they make 40k a year.

tort reform wont help. Are you kidding me, drs. wouldnt have to order every single test under the sun so they dont get their asses sued. Decrease extrenuous, not needed tests will lower medical costs. There are plenty of people who go to an orthopedists who really have no reason to get an MRI but the Dr. orders one just to be sure to protect there asses. I bet every ortho surgeon in orders at least 100 meaningless MRIs yearly just to be sure.

The biggest issue with Obama's plan is that his contention that health care as is right now is unsustainable. Okay fine, then how the hell can 85% of the country with insurance that 90% think is excellent keep their plan, which according to the president is unsustainable. Then on top of that lets just provide free care for the rest.

This is part of the reason that nothing gets done, because people who have an unfounded view on the issue watch Glen Beck and spout platitudes like these. Statistics are nearly useless, as they are undoubtedly called inflated. Glen Beck says that health care in America is no. 1, so people believe it...

By the way, I didn't say tort reform is useless, I'm saying it won't fix our problems. I was fairly explicit about this.

Nobody is talking about free care. Let's get on board here. A government option costs money. Money equals not free. I wish I could draw a picture.

I think there were something like 7 million people who make 75k+ a year who choose not to buy it. I know alot of people in my age range 24-28 who dont bother to pay for insurance when there employer picks up half the cost because they dont think they need it and dont want to spend the extra 150 bucks a month for it. although they have no issue spending 120 on a blackberry that they have zero use for or spending 100 per weekend at a bar. They say they cant afford it because they make 40k a year.

Do you think this is for 24-28 yr olds?

The number of 45 million is overstated. first 1/3 are illegal, brings the number down to 30 million.

Let me quote myself:
You can vilify people as much as you'd like, but they're a health care burden regardless of nationality. 60% of health care costs are paid for by the federal government, partly because people like this need to show up the ER for treatment. It's no secret that ER physicians aren't too concerned with cost, unlike PCPs.

Awesome.

This is part of the reason that nothing gets done, because people who have an unfounded view on the issue watch Glen Beck and spout platitudes like these. Statistics are nearly useless, as they are undoubtedly called inflated. Glen Beck says that health care in America is no. 1, so people believe it...

By the way, I didn't say tort reform is useless, I'm saying it won't fix our problems. I was fairly explicit about this.

Nobody is talking about free care. Let's get on board here. A government option costs money. Money equals not free. I wish I could draw a picture.

People dont understand this. We cant even support the people we have in the system now and the plan is to add another 45 million? Thats truly unsustainable. Nobody is saying the status quo is acceptable, however we are saying that the government doesnt know how to solve this problem and very seriously has the potential to make it worse. You think government bureacrats will be so much better than insurance company lackies?

People dont understand this. We cant even support the people we have in the system now and the plan is to add another 45 million? Thats truly unsustainable. Nobody is saying the status quo is acceptable, however we are saying that the government doesnt know how to solve this problem and very seriously has the potential to make it worse. You think government bureacrats will be so much better than insurance company lackies?

I'm not going to call anything unsustainable, because both sides say it with such nauseating fervor. The point, however, is an OPTION. People can choose between government and insurance companies. OPTION, not force.

I'm not going to call anything unsustainable, because both sides say it with such nauseating fervor. The point, however, is an OPTION. People can choose between government and insurance companies. OPTION, not force.

Do you realize there will be no OPTION because private insurance will go out of buisness and EVERYONE will be in the public plan. Its impossible to compete with the public plan because it can operate at a loss. They have tried this idea in friggin Mass. and look how wonderful it is, Cali is another good example of having so many entiltement programs.

As for the illegals, unless it is an immediate life threatening situation they do not receive care under any circumstance unless they can pay for it, sorry they are not American Citizens, they are here illegally and should not be able to benefit from American services.

Yes, the health care system needs to be changed a little bit but not this extreme like the Obama administration wants to change it. We do have the best, most advanced, most accessible care in the world for the vast majority of the population. There is a reason people come here for treatment all the time (Prime minister of Itlay for example) and Americans dont go to Canada, France, England etc for their care. The goal should not be bring the standard of care down for the vast majority of the population so the vast minority can have access to it.

Where have i said the staus quo should be maintained. I just dont think the govt getting involved is a good idea. Can you name me anything that the govt is involved in that runs according to projected cost, dosent hemorrhage money, isnt corrupt and runs efficiently. I said two things should be tried first before even considering a massive govt intervention. Tort reform and allowing the insurance companies to compete across state lines, foster competition, improving insurance rates for both private citizens and employers and forcing the insurance companies to become more efficient or go out of business because their competition has a superior product

Let me once again reiterate that giving people health insurance doesn't mean you're giving them healthcare. It doesn't... you know... grow on trees. When you end up with 150 million people shunted to a "public option" and only about 40% of the doctors accepting the insurance offered, do you think there won't be a shortage!? (as an aside, I pulled that 40% out of my butt)

I must ask though, why would a physician support something that he knows virtually unequivocally will reduce his/her salary? I mean... it's utterly ridiculous. There is no other profession on this planet in which people are so brainwashed that they are willing to sacrifice the wellbeing of themselves and their families for their customers (sans being a nun... and that, I would propose, is a bit different). When was the last time you heard McDonald's say: "Hey! If we don't charge as much for our food, that will allow out customers the opportunity to buy more and feed their families?" They don't... They may reduce their prices... but that's only to pad money into their own pockets. Come on guys. You're blowing your own legs off here.

Let me quote myself:

Awesome.

I agree 100% with this. I wish they could stop the people taking advantage of the system with the health care bill, but I think this is a problem that needs to be addressed in immigration reform, which unfortunately may not happen anytime soon.

Why do you think healthcare reform is becoming such a big deal? Because we can't afford it as a country, its getting expensive for people to afford on their own, etc. Hence its unsustainable.

replacing the current system with an equally (probably more so) unsustainable one doesnt solve any problems.

How can we as a country be so gullible as to think we can pay for all of this by only taxing the rich, when every other country with single payor or government run healthcare taxes EVERYONE and still has to ration.

Let me once again reiterate that giving people health insurance doesn't mean you're giving them healthcare. It doesn't... you know... grow on trees. When you end up with 150 million people shunted to a "public option" and only about 40% of the doctors accepting the insurance offered, do you think there won't be a shortage!? (as an aside, I pulled that 40% out of my butt)

I must ask though, why would a physician support something that he knows virtually unequivocally will reduce his/her salary? I mean... it's utterly ridiculous. There is no other profession on this planet in which people are so brainwashed that they are willing to sacrifice the wellbeing of themselves and their families for their customers (sans being a nun... and that, I would propose, is a bit different). When was the last time you heard McDonald's say: "Hey! If we don't charge as much for our food, that will allow out customers the opportunity to buy more and feed their families?" They don't... They may reduce their prices... but that's only to pad money into their own pockets. Come on guys. You're blowing your own legs off here.

agree 100%, even if your willing to work for pennies, other doctors wont and by supporting or even not caring about pay cuts, you end up hurting the patients as they cant get healthcare because less people take on the burdens of medicine as the reward keeps decreasing. I dont understand how those of you in med school can think that doctors dont earn every penny they make or they make too much.

regardless of your preferred method of reform (price transparency, research into healthy living, incentives for healthily produced food, and high-deductible 'tiered' insurance in my case), the only way to 'bend the cost curve' is to 'bend the demand curve'.

My celebrex example is a case in point of what happens when we shield people from individual (and in this case nonsensical) costs of various aspects of healthcare, and create a commons (google it).

End of life care.

Surgeries/procedures of dubious worth.

Etc.

All of these expensive interventions of minimal marginal utility are in quite high demand, since minimal marginal utility for minimal up-front cost seems appropriate.

You want to fix healthcare? Fix the market inefficiencies that lead to people trying januvia before they've failed metformin, using bidil instead of taking isosorbide and hydralazine in two separte pills, pursuing spinal fusion before truly exhausting conservative measures, and families chasing heroic measures despite the huge negative emotional and economic impact for little possibility of gain.

Burn JCAHO to the ground for enacting ever more time and cost wasteful guidelines of dubious value, wasting vast hours of nursing and doctor time in the process.

Reward those who take their health into their own hands.\

The commons mentality of modern healthcare, whether in the form of private 'comprehensive health insurance' (which isn't insurance) or socialized medicine, is the real problem.

regardless of your preferred method of reform (price transparency, research into healthy living, incentives for healthily produced food, and high-deductible 'tiered' insurance in my case), the only way to 'bend the cost curve' is to 'bend the demand curve'.

My celebrex example is a case in point of what happens when we shield people from individual (and in this case nonsensical) costs of various aspects of healthcare, and create a commons (google it).

End of life care.

Surgeries/procedures of dubious worth.

Etc.

All of these expensive interventions of minimal marginal utility are in quite high demand, since minimal marginal utility for minimal up-front cost seems appropriate.

You want to fix healthcare? Fix the market inefficiencies that lead to people trying januvia before they've failed metformin, using bidil instead of taking isosorbide and hydralazine in two separte pills, pursuing spinal fusion before truly exhausting conservative measures, and families chasing heroic measures despite the huge negative emotional and economic impact for little possibility of gain.

Burn JCAHO to the ground for enacting ever more time and cost wasteful guidelines of dubious value, wasting vast hours of nursing and doctor time in the process.

Reward those who take their health into their own hands.\

The commons mentality of modern healthcare, whether in the form of private 'comprehensive health insurance' (which isn't insurance) or socialized medicine, is the real problem.

Bravo. If only this could be applied in a non-politically-suicidal way.

:thumbup:

Lol. 95% of student objections to a Medicare-for-all solution are based entirely on decreased salary prospects.

The current atmosphere in medicine is terrible, from the first days of pre-clinical all the way through to private practice. Got to make that buck. Got to max out those radiograph self-referrals. Got to get into the $500k neighborhood.

Doctors are not entitled to such extravagant salaries. Everyone's life would be much easier if there was one insurance company and you could eliminate half of your office staff and not have claims randomly rejected. Oh and also you'd probably make "less" but hey at least people aren't literally dying in the street so that you can buy those 4 BMWs or that 10k square foot house!

But keep telling yourselves that this is all about the market or liberty!! What it's really about is ensuring that you are entitled to make half a million dollars a year when you emerge from the desert that is residency. I can't really blame you I guess, our entire medical training system practically ensures a high percentage of doctors wind up hallowed cynical selfish jerk-versions of their former selves.

For those of you arguing we can't afford this or whatever: don't be ridiculous. Eliminating private healthcare would save us billions of dollars. Sure it'd cost more in taxes, but it would cost significantly less when you look at total DOLLARS rather than just TAX DOLLARS.

But anyone reading Rand or jerkin' it to their Galt self-image hears the word tax and has a visceral hatred for no rational reason other than nebulous LIBERTY and AT THE BARREL OF THE GUN ******ness.

Because the bottom line is:

Our entire healthcare system is a house of cards with hundreds of billions in waste to ensure fat salaries for health insurance and drug company executives, doctors, share-holders and medical equipment manufacturers, and anyone else with their face in the trough. There is so much waste it is unbelievable. Every other wealthy rich-as-hell nation on earth provides care for 100% of the people in their borders and is not the USSR reincarnate. STOP BEING LAZY AND OPEN YOUR EYES.

This will fall on deaf ears though but it's nice to yell at a wall sometimes.

The funniest thing to me though is that even if you take the most socialized system out there, the UK's NHS, GPs make 100k and consultants make 200k.

Not dollars, pounds. Yeah. Real low salaries there guys. Probably can't even feed their children with that kind of money.*

*oh wait they probably can because they have ZERO student loan debt and ZERO medical care debt and TONS of regulation on credit card companies and debt. But not here, here we're all about protecting those corporate interests in the name of waste and (useless and expensive) profit!!

For those of you arguing we can't afford this or whatever: don't be ridiculous. Eliminating private healthcare would save us billions of dollars. Sure it'd cost more in taxes, but it would cost significantly less when you look at total DOLLARS rather than just TAX DOLLARS.

But anyone reading Rand or jerkin' it to their Galt self-image hears the word tax and has a visceral hatred for no rational reason other than nebulous LIBERTY and AT THE BARREL OF THE GUN ******ness.

Because the bottom line is:

Our entire healthcare system is a house of cards with hundreds of billions in waste to ensure fat salaries for health insurance and drug company executives, doctors, share-holders and medical equipment manufacturers, and anyone else with their face in the trough. There is so much waste it is unbelievable. Every other wealthy rich-as-hell nation on earth provides care for 100% of the people in their borders and is not the USSR reincarnate. STOP BEING LAZY AND OPEN YOUR EYES.

This will fall on deaf ears though but it's nice to yell at a wall sometimes.

yeah, like the govt runs anything efficently, without waste, come on. Health care needs to be reformed but gov't intervention is not needed. We do not need the govt screwing around in every aspect of our lives. They have proven time and time again that they are inept at things like this. Medicare, SSI, Fannie and Freddie, Post office etc. What do they have in common all run at huge losses or went bankrupt.

Also, who are you to dictate how much money someone should want to make. I went into medicine to help people and because of the great security it would provide to me and my family. I and many others will be going to school and in residency for 7-10 years after college. If anyone wants to make 500k a year then thats fine. If it wasnt for the high salaries of medicine do you think it would be so hard to get into med schools. The best and the brightest would not go into medicine so we will be left with inadequate physicians. I dont want a doctor doing my kidney transplant because he would do the job for less money. I want the best Dr. possible. Sure some of the best would still go into medicine but alot would not.

Seriously how many here would still go into medicine if they would make 100k a year. I know i wouldnt and im sure the majority here wouldnt.

The funniest thing to me though is that even if you take the most socialized system out there, the UK's NHS, GPs make 100k and consultants make 200k.

Not dollars, pounds. Yeah. Real low salaries there guys. Probably can't even feed their children with that kind of money.*

I am not going to comment about the medical argument in general because both sides are making good points. However, this money figure is pretty funny. Yes they do make pounds, not dollars. However, when they buy things, they also have to pay in pounds. Things in England are more expensive in general so you they have to pay more when you buy things. For example, a fast food value meal here in the states is about 6 bucks. In englad, it's about 6 pounds. A pint at the local bar here costs about 4 bucks, over there it's about 4 pounds. They may make more because the pound is more valuable, but that doesn't mean their standard of living for that money is any higher. People making 100k in englad also are taxed more than they are in the US. Therefore, they are taking home closer to 50 thousand pounds, or in terms of the US standards of living about 50K dollars. That doesn't sound so great to me.

yeah, like the govt runs anything efficently, without waste, come on. Health care needs to be reformed but gov't intervention is not needed. We do not need the govt screwing around in every aspect of our lives. They have proven time and time again that they are inept at things like this. Medicare, SSI, Fannie and Freddie, Post office etc. What do they have in common all run at huge losses or went bankrupt.
Oh good you just want to regurgitate the same dumb talking points you see on fox news or whatever. The post office is fine. Medicare is the highest performing insurer out there, so it's hilarious that you mention it. Social security is another excellent government program so I'm not sure what your point is? Fannie and Freddie are extra hilarious because the entire housing industry and banks built a house of cards because of a lack of adequate government oversight. So that sort of is in my favor. So really, you have zero examples of the strawman you tried to construct.

But the best part is that if you read my posts you'll notice nowhere did I say we should have an NHS type solution (although I'd like that). All I'm proposing is Medicare for all. Do you understand the difference?

Also, who are you to dictate how much money someone should want to make.
Um, I am reality, and I'm here to tell doctors that the days of $1m salaries are over because it is unsustainable and bankrupting us all. Hello, is anyone paying attention?

I went into medicine to help people and because of the great security it would provide to me and my family.
Right. And making several times as much as the average American family sure won't ensure that.

Seriously how many here would still go into medicine if they would make 100k a year. I know i wouldnt and im sure the majority here wouldnt.
Uhhh if I had zero student loan debt? Hell yeah why the hell not? Unless you're just plain greedy! (hint: you seem to be primarily motivated by greed, just FYI.)

I guess I should also preemptively state that I think there should be massive reform of medical education and the eventual total elimination of student loans for medical students.

Oh good you just want to regurgitate the same dumb talking points you see on fox news or whatever. The post office is fine. Medicare is the highest performing insurer out there, so it's hilarious that you mention it. Social security is another excellent government program so I'm not sure what your point is? Fannie and Freddie are extra hilarious because the entire housing industry and banks built a house of cards because of a lack of adequate government oversight. So that sort of is in my favor. So really, you have zero examples of the strawman you tried to construct.

But the best part is that if you read my posts you'll notice nowhere did I say we should have an NHS type solution (although I'd like that). All I'm proposing is Medicare for all. Do you understand the difference?

Um, I am reality, and I'm here to tell doctors that the days of $1m salaries are over because it is unsustainable and bankrupting us all. Hello, is anyone paying attention?

Right. And making several times as much as the average American family sure won't ensure that.

Uhhh if I had zero student loan debt? Hell yeah why the hell not? Unless you're just plain greedy! (hint: you seem to be primarily motivated by greed, just FYI.)

The post office is only in buisness because Fed-ex and UPS can compete with them. It is illegal to deliver normal mail, competing against the USPS, oh yeah they also run a billion dollar deficit yearly. Fannie and Freddie, no it was the govt forcing banks to give loans to people who had no ability to pay them. Medicare cost 7 times what it was projected to cost and SSI is going bankrupt. You ever go to the DMV or wait in line at the post office it is the epitome of inefficiency, thats what we want running our health care, are you serious.

No not primarily motivated by greed but my family comes before any patient I will ever have. I will pay for my kids college, law school, med school etc. I dont care what the average american makes yearly. The average american dosent have to make possible life-altering decisions daily, the average american dosent spend the time in school and training that doctors do. do i need to make 1 million no, 400-500k is more than reasonable. after taxes and malpractice take home will be what 150-225k a year. Its amazing if you want to make money, work very hard so you and your family can enjoy a comfortable life and never have to worry about money, you are greedy and in it for the wrong reasons.

By the way, making the 100k you want a year. You would be out of buisness because you couldnt pay your malpractice and healthcare. The only way any Dr. should consider supporting any form of health reform is if Tort Reform is included. Again,

1. Tort Reform and 2. Allow insurance companies to sell insurance across state lines. Less unessecary tests will be ordered and insurance companies prices will fall to compete with each other.

Last edited:
I am not going to comment about the medical argument in general because both sides are making good points. However, this money figure is pretty funny. Yes they do make pounds, not dollars. However, when they buy things, they also have to pay in pounds. Things in England are more expensive in general so you they have to pay more when you buy things. For example, a fast food value meal here in the states is about 6 bucks. In englad, it's about 6 pounds. A pint at the local bar here costs about 4 bucks, over there it's about 4 pounds. They may make more because the pound is more valuable, but that doesn't mean their standard of living for that money is any higher. People making 100k in englad also are taxed more than they are in the US. Therefore, they are taking home closer to 50 thousand pounds, or in terms of the US standards of living about 50K dollars. That doesn't sound so great to me.

I don't know where you are getting this but I suggest you try to go to a non tourist area the next time you are in England to see real prices. This is like an Englishman going to Disneyworld and saying "Blimey, yankees have to pay 12 dollars for a bloody soda, 20 dollars for a funnel cake how the hell do they get so fat."

Also like most taxes in socialist countries, not only are you paying more, you get more for your money which is actually cheaper, because the government does many things more efficiently than privately owned corporations.

I know quite a few people who 'can't afford health insurance' but drive around in new bmw 335s.

I don't know where you are getting this but I suggest you try to go to a non tourist area the next time you are in England to see real prices. This is like an Englishman going to Disneyworld and saying "Blimey, yankees have to pay 12 dollars for a bloody soda, 20 dollars for a funnel cake how the hell do they get so fat."

Also like most taxes in socialist countries, not only are you paying more, you get more for your money which is actually cheaper, because the government does many things more efficiently than privately owned corporations.

name one thing the US govt runs that is efficient. I have been to england it is expensive. London is just as expensive as NYC, im sure the cheaper areas are just like the cheaper areas in the US like in the midwest.

Lol. 95% of student objections to a Medicare-for-all solution are based entirely on decreased salary prospects.
No.

Doctors are not entitled to such extravagant salaries. Everyone's life would be much easier if there was one insurance company and you could eliminate half of your office staff and not have claims randomly rejected. Oh and also you'd probably make "less" but hey at least people aren't literally dying in the street so that you can buy those 4 BMWs or that 10k square foot house!
I don't think you know what that word means.

The post office is fine. Medicare is the highest performing insurer out there, so it's hilarious that you mention it. Social security is another excellent government program so I'm not sure what your point is

All are insolvent, all will eventually have to be scrapped. The fact that you consider any of these options to be "excellent" completely eradicates any thoughts that anyone on this forum had that you have functioning brain cells.

The reason that they still exist is because when they run out of money, they don't go out of business, they just take more (taxes). There is no effort to reform them because there has never been any need, they just up the budget. This is not a recipe for long-term stability. There will be a breaking point where they literally cannot take anymore, and that time is fast approaching since any effort to curb spending in those areas would be political suicide. As a result, everyone will keep up this charade until they cannot anymore, and we (and by that, I mean productive members of society) will end up holding the bag.

Everyone here now knows that they are arguing with someone who obviously doesn't reside in reality (as if they couldn't figure it out from your previous posts full of mindless gibberish). Feel free to retire to whatever cave you inhabit, and please don't come back until you can bring something useful besides MSNBC talking points (see, I can call out a television station too, I hope that makes me as edgy and sophisticated as you :rolleyes:).

Medicare is the highest performing insurer out there, so it's hilarious that you mention it. Social security is another excellent government program so I'm not sure what your point is?
They're both going bankrupt. They're putting out more money than they bring in. That doesn't bother you at all? Medicare is only going to last until 2017 at this rate. Or did the Huffington Post not tell you that part?

Healthcare aside, it astounds me how willing some people are to give up personal freedom/choice for security. History has shown again and again that if you give the government all the power, it will come back to bite you in the ass.