Physical Therapist with Knee Replaceme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UpDownPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'll get right to it. I have applied to PT school and am awaiting decisions. Since then, I received the news that one day, possible sooner than desired I will need a knee cap replacement. I had a major injury playing college football 12 years ago that has been limiting ever since. I have still been able to run marathons, ran over 10,000 miles and biked over 50,000 miles.

After having a scope this week which was suppose to include micro fracture, the doctor told my knee was much worse than expected. I have an inch and half hole with no cartilage on my femur where my knee cap slides. It is very thin in other places.

My question is whether I can do a PT job long term. It's not very painful if a take a Celebrex every once in a while and I still bike a lot. But if the day comes when I'm 40 or 45 and need a knee cap replacement can I still do this job? Has anybody done this job with a TKR or a PKR?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I could see being a PT in an outpatient pediatrics clinic being a problem (lots of kneeling and hyper squatting probably). Otherwise you shouldn't have a major problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally feasible to work as a PT with TKA (assuming that is what you're referring to). Heck, it'll be your job to teach others to adapt so what better example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly. You won't really have any sort of trouble at your physical therapy job. And while I haven't seen anyone work as PT with TKR I am sure that you can continue your job normally. Good Luck.

Shouldn't be much more of an issue than it would be in any line of work.

I've had multitrauma complex surgery on my knee and quadriceps twice. I have hardware in both my knee and arm. I eat healthy and almost all the time maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Take care of your body. If you want to help people rehab, you should do it.