Photograph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that for each program you apply to there's an option of whether or not you want to send the photograph.

1) How do you get your photograph to the ERAS in the first place? I've been unable to find the link to that in the application.

2) Is it a good idea to attatch your picture? I'm not worried about being ugly. But they do judge you on how you look, which makes me wonder about the quality of picture I was about to send in.

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that for each program you apply to there's an option of whether or not you want to send the photograph.

1) How do you get your photograph to the ERAS in the first place? I've been unable to find the link to that in the application.

2) Is it a good idea to attatch your picture? I'm not worried about being ugly. But they do judge you on how you look, which makes me wonder about the quality of picture I was about to send in.

I can answer #2

Photos are screened from viewing until we select you for an interview. Hence, whether or not you upload a picture should have no effect on your interviews. They are handy to have -- we can then recognize you at your interview!

At my school, the student records office (which scans in the LORs) scans in the photo for us.

Yes, our school just recently sent out a message that the photo must be either given or sent in digitally to the dean's office, I guess similar to a LOR.

Yes, your medical school's dean's office (or residency application coordinator) will upload the photograph. Therefore, you must get them a copy (either a digital one, or a paper one) according to the instructions they provide for you (call/email and ask if you haven't heard anything about this).

Just thought I'd add...IMGs--do it over OASIS (electronic) or you can send it to ECFMG.

Does anyone know what kind of photo this should be? Is this like a color passport photo from the shoulders up? Also, where does the photo appear in your application? I can't find anywhere on ERAS to view the photo once I upload it.

I can answer #2

Photos are screened from viewing until we select you for an interview. Hence, whether or not you upload a picture should have no effect on your interviews. They are handy to have -- we can then recognize you at your interview!

Turns out I am wrong. This is the way it worked last year, but there is a change for next year.

Last year, your photo was automatically forwarded to all programs when you apply. This year, you are able to assign photos to programs. This allows you to not submit a photo and apply, and then forward the photo after you have accepted an interview, should you feel that your photo may hurt you.

Then again, do you really want to go to a program that refuses to interview you based on your photo?

Turns out I am wrong. This is the way it worked last year, but there is a change for next year.

Last year, your photo was automatically forwarded to all programs when you apply. This year, you are able to assign photos to programs. This allows you to not submit a photo and apply, and then forward the photo after you have accepted an interview, should you feel that your photo may hurt you.

Then again, do you really want to go to a program that refuses to interview you based on your photo?

But how would one know that they rejected your app based on your photo and not something else. The lady at our deans office said, don't send one in until you actually receive an interview. Sucks to say, but I bet race may play a factor in some of these people's eyes. This world is not perfect. So I'll hold on to mine till interviews are sent.

Do you think not sending in a photo makes any difference?

I haven't sent one in - mostly because I don't have one to send in. It hasn't been my top priority.

Do you think not sending in a photo makes any difference?

I haven't sent one in - mostly because I don't have one to send in. It hasn't been my top priority.

I would hope it makes no difference.

If programs do discriminate based on race / skin color / appearance / etc, then they'll simply do that after your interview. I woul dhope that the number of programs that do this is extremely limited.

I wouldn't worry about it.

One of the programs I applied to stated my application would be viewed as incomplete (and therefore not eligable for an interview) until the photo was uploaded... rather strange.

Anka

Very interesting. Potentially illegal.

Yeah, I had the same thought. Still, how hard is anyone going to fight something like that? More annoying than anything else.

Anka

Anka,

How did you find out about the photo requirement? Was it something publicly posted on the program's website - or did you find out through contacting them directly?

The program e-mailed me after I had everything else in and said that a photograph was required before I was considered for an interview.

Anka

Interesting thread. After residency, when an applicant sends a photo to somebody like Kaiser or another big health system for a physician job, they have to send the entire CV back and instruct the applicant to resubmit it without the photo. It is a major no-no in physician recruiting to have photos with CVs because of potential discrimination. I am amazed that residency programs are requiring it. They are setting themselves up for big problems.

At our institution the ERAS photo is NOT used discriminatorily but rather as an identifier when the applicants come in to interview. It is also used for a slide presentation for our rank order meeting for the Match. The photo helps to refresh the memory after interviewing so many candidates.

Interesting thread. After residency, when an applicant sends a photo to somebody like Kaiser or another big health system for a physician job, they have to send the entire CV back and instruct the applicant to resubmit it without the photo. It is a major no-no in physician recruiting to have photos with CVs because of potential discrimination. I am amazed that residency programs are requiring it. They are setting themselves up for big problems.

On the same topic, when I applied for admitting and operating privileges, every hospital wanted a picture of me. I can understand one, because they want to post it on their website, but some places wanted more than one.:confused:

I think you all are being unrealistic if you think your photos dont matter.. (yes even for hospital privilages). If an application with a photo can be denied, then the photo matters. Many people think they can judge you by the way you look.

We really oughta do that study about male vs female program coordinators and the interviewee selected patterns. :D

We really oughta do that study about male vs female program coordinators and the interviewee selected patterns. :D

If you're implying what I think you're implying then give me a break. As of today there are more female than male medical students, and each year more and more female physicians go into traditionally male sub-specialties and into top leadership positions as the cohorts of large female classes come of age.

Most of the fight against discrimination is now on the URM front, discrimination against females is thankfully now a small and increasingly irrelevant problem.

...if you were just making a joke then excuse my snippy reply :oops:

If you're implying what I think you're implying then give me a break. As of today there are more female than male medical students, and each year more and more female physicians go into traditionally male sub-specialties and into top leadership positions as the cohorts of large female classes come of age.

Most of the fight against discrimination is now on the URM front, discrimination against females is thankfully now a small and increasingly irrelevant problem.

...if you were just making a joke then excuse my snippy reply :oops:

:lol: You're half a year too late. We had this discussion (I think me and APD) about the pictures and the coordinators. Actually, the discussion was leaning in favor of the prettier gender cause they are more photogenic and well.. men are visual people. :D

:lol: You're half a year too late. We had this discussion (I think me and APD) about the pictures and the coordinators. Actually, the discussion was leaning in favor of the prettier gender cause they are more photogenic and well.. men are visual people. :D

ah, I see. Yeah halfway through my reply I started realizing that I might be walking head-long into the wall of some inside joke. My bad.

They don't always need the photo to discriminate based on race; your name is often a dead giveaway.

If, as some are fearing, a program had such strong feelings about a given race, do you think you would change their minds simply by showing up for an interview? Would it really be worth your time, money, and effort to even try?

They don't always need the photo to discriminate based on race; your name is often a dead giveaway.

If, as some are fearing, a program had such strong feelings about a given race, do you think you would change their minds simply by showing up for an interview? Would it really be worth your time, money, and effort to even try?

:thumbup:

Not mine - as it turns out, there are few Shaniquas in medicine....