Photograph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifedrive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a simple question. How important is the photograph for The ERAS application? I took some passport style photos, but I am told that I should have taken a picture with a suit and tie on. Is this correct?

Thanks
M-

Members don't see this ad.

Lifedrive said:
I have a simple question. How important is the photograph for The ERAS application? I took some passport style photos, but I am told that I should have taken a picture with a suit and tie on. Is this correct?

Thanks
M-

The photo is a required part of the app (I guess so they can associate the app with a face when they're doing their ROL). How you look in the pic is NOT important. As long as it's, ya know, tasteful. I wouldn't worry if you're not dressed to the nines in the photo. I think I was wearing a T-shirt in mine.

I have been told to wear a shirt and tie (at least) in the pics. I wore a blazer. You can get it done relatively cheaply at Kmart/Target etc. Good luck.... :luck:

In an earlier post, someone asked why certain medical schools/residency programs ask for photographs. One reply was: "So they could see how much of a loser you are." I thought that was hilarious! :p :eek:

GrandMasterB said:
I have been told to wear a shirt and tie (at least) in the pics. I wore a blazer. You can get it done relatively cheaply at Kmart/Target etc. Good luck.... :luck:

I was on the phone with a coordinator when she had seen my app was flagged for an invite, so she was punching me into the computer and she said... "now that we have invited you for interview, we are allowed to look at your picture!" she then was like "oh there you are!!" so apparently, they aren't able to look at the picture (they can however download it) until they register in the computer that you have been invited - she was doing all kinds of stuff on the computer at that time which must release it to be executable or something...

Thanks all for your replies. I only wore a collared maroon shirt with no tie or blazer, but I might go get it done again with a tie and blazer if time permits.

THANKS!!

Many programs will have your pics printed out on their eval forms or on some sort of master sheet for the day. Some places may even post the pics of the interviewees (no, I'm not kidding). Always better to be looking professional than to be the "look at that guy" guy everyone points at.

Poety said:
I was on the phone with a coordinator when she had seen my app was flagged for an invite, so she was punching me into the computer and she said... "now that we have invited you for interview, we are allowed to look at your picture!" she then was like "oh there you are!!" so apparently, they aren't able to look at the picture (they can however download it) until they register in the computer that you have been invited - she was doing all kinds of stuff on the computer at that time which must release it to be executable or something...

so you're basically saying that if you see that a program has downloaded your photo you should be expecting and invite? how is this possible...every single program that I applied to has downloaded my photo along with my profile and CAF the first day it was available

I have heard this comment in various other discussions within this messageboard....I just think it's hard to believe that you can make those types of assumptions...you're just setting yourself up for disappointment

GMO2003 said:
so you're basically saying that if you see that a program has downloaded your photo you should be expecting and invite? how is this possible...every single program that I applied to has downloaded my photo along with my profile and CAF the first day it was available

I have heard this comment in various other discussions within this messageboard....I just think it's hard to believe that you can make those types of assumptions...you're just setting yourself up for disappointment

No, they are saying they can download it but cannot execute it. Having the pic downloaded doesn't mean anything.

There is a ton of psychological literature pointing to the perceptual saliency of faces. People make all kinds of assumptions based upon appearance and looks. These assumptions can have powerful subsconscious influences in how others perceive you. I would try to maximize these effects in your favor if possible. In other words, "Dress the part." I'll never forget the advice for success in medicine given to me by a very high powered academic physician:

1) Show up.
2) On time.
3) Dressed to play.

drusso said:
There is a ton of psychological literature pointing to the perceptual saliency of faces. People make all kinds of assumptions based upon appearance and looks. These assumptions can have powerful subsconscious influences in how others perceive you. I would try to maximize these effects in your favor if possible. In other words, "Dress the part." I'll never forget the advice for success in medicine given to me by a very high powered academic physician:

1) Show up.
2) On time.
3) Dressed to play.
In all, I agree with all of your post.

How do you feel about Mayo's dress code, though?

And, why is that any meeting I've had with doctors in my hospital always start 5 minutes late?