PhORCAS LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangopulp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question about PhORCAS LORs? I have listed my references but I am not sure if I just have to enter my references just once if they are going to write me a general LOR for all my programs or do I have to enter that one reference 10 different times for each program? For example, I have references A, B and C for 10 programs I am applying. I want them all to write a general LOR for all 10 rather than personalize for each one. So for my references if I enter As info once can I use A for all ten applications or add A ten different times? Likewise for B and C. I want to confirm if once I receive an LOR from A,B and C I can attach that one LOR from each to all my programs I intend to apply.

Hope the question is not too confusing!

Any responses/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If it hasn't changed, you should be able to use one general LOR for each program instead of having 10 separate LORs for each letter writer. That's what I did the last two years that I applied.

Reactions: 1 user
I used general LORs and matched into my #1 spot. Specific letters may or may not make a difference, but are a lot more work for the writer(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with it being more work for the writers and I don't really see someone saying anything vastly different when they write 10 separate letters unless they know a great deal about the program you're applying to or maybe they went there for their residency, etc. If that's the case, I can see writing a separate letter being a benefit.

Also let your writers know you want a general letter. I was reading a letter last year and multiple times it say "Jane Doe would be a great candidate for the unversity of xyz medical center!" and this was not our hospital...

Bumping this - any other opinions on having references write personalized letters to each specific program as opposed to a general recommendation?

Or rather, in what instances would personalization be appropriate/expected?

Follow up question to this...

Given the new changes with Phorcas and the elimination of the recommendation letter, how are people going about this? Are you contacting each program to check if they would still like a letter e-mailed to them? Or are you just going to request the standard Phorcas recommendation form and leave it at that. Not all programs have updated their sites with new requirements.

Given the new changes with Phorcas and the elimination of the recommendation letter, how are people going about this? Are you contacting each program to check if they would still like a letter e-mailed to them? Or are you just going to request the standard Phorcas recommendation form and leave it at that. Not all programs have updated their sites with new requirements.
No more recommendation letter? So it's now just the standard form?

From reading the letters and forms last year, doing both is kind of repetitive. I think doing the form alone is enough, but that's just my opinion.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Every program (PGY2) I interviewed with at PPS wants a traditional letter, so I guess I am going to be mailing them separately, as the only alternative seems to be waiting for reference writers to finish their letters, send them to me, and then upload them into the supplemental section. PhORCAS seems bound and determined to make this difficult for me...

Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Every program (PGY2) I interviewed with at PPS wants a traditional letter, so I guess I am going to be mailing them separately, as the only alternative seems to be waiting for reference writers to finish their letters, send them to me, and then upload them into the supplemental section. PhORCAS seems bound and determined to make this difficult for me...

What specialty are you applying to? After speaking with my directors and directors of other programs it seems they didn't even know PhORCAS made this change in requirements. If that's the case, they may be more understanding when they see the majority of their applicants have the same issue. Were all the programs you spoke to aware of the change in PhORCAS?

Really, we shouldn't even know this change happened as applicants since we never see the form. So I would hope a program wouldn't fault us for not addressing this with our letter writers.

With the new Phorcas format eliminating the letter of rec, I emailed all of my programs that I am applying to. Twenty percent of the programs wanted a letter emailed directly to them. I would recommend emailing the programs.

Applying for EM PGY2s. I'm assuming most don't know since many websites still list a separate letter as a requirement. I will email to see what they want

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for all,

How much do you think pharmacy school GPA matters in the PGY2 applicant screening process?

This is a question for PGY1 residency. Would it be over-killed or unnecessary to send all 4 recommendation when being asked for 3 LOR only? Thanks!

This is a question for PGY1 residency. Would it be over-killed or unnecessary to send all 4 recommendation when being asked for 3 LOR only? Thanks!

My program won't look at the fourth letter. They didn't count it against them but it comes across like not reading/understanding directions. IMO, if a program wanted 4, they would ask for 4 (some do). I've heard other residents say the higher powers in their programs find an extra letter to be overkill.

I wouldn't burden the program with having to read another letter unnecessarily. Just be sure the first 3 speak strongly and positvely enough about your qualities and you won't need a fourth.

In most cases, 4 LORs may be overkill when the majority of PGY-1 programs require 3 LORs

Yes, it would be overkill. As stated above, if they wanted 4 they would have asked for 4. More is not always better.

Yes, it would be overkill. As stated above, if they wanted 4 they would have asked for 4. More is not always better.

So, I'm a non traditional applicant (working and now trying for a residency) but I know my current employer can't write a strong letter (haven't worked long enough and we only interact once a week for a few mins). Should I just submit 3 from references that know me well (the reviewer might wonder why i didn't get one from my current employer) or should I risk it and submit 4 (and risk being thrown in the pile of "i can't read"/ don't understand instructions)?

*this is for combined 2 year pharmacotherapy residencies

So, I'm a non traditional applicant (working and now trying for a residency) but I know my current employer can't write a strong letter (haven't worked long enough and we only interact once a week for a few mins). Should I just submit 3 from references that know me well (the reviewer might wonder why i didn't get one from my current employer) or should I risk it and submit 4 (and risk being thrown in the pile of "i can't read"/ don't understand instructions)?

*this is for combined 2 year pharmacotherapy residencies
I would submit 3 good letters. If you think his letter may not be good then why risk it? Or you can do like I fid when I applied which was to mix and match letters for different progrs so half of the places will get his letter and half won't.

Don't be like one of my stupid applicants and send in a LOR with a "one line nail in the coffin". Last year we had a young man apply and he boasted about being the editor in chief of his university's publication only to receive a LOR stating that "his writing skills are poor and often needs assistance from preceptor".

I wrote letters for an applicant this cycle.
Basically the applicant listed all the programs that he was applying to, then phorcas e-mailed me with a notification of which programs I needed to fill out forms for, with links. The forms specified any special instructions (example: must fill out at least X fields). After I filled out my first form, the other programs' forms auto-populated the responses I wrote for the first form, and I was given the choice to edit with program-specific comments if I wanted to.

Also let your writers know you want a general letter. I was reading a letter last year and multiple times it say "Jane Doe would be a great candidate for the unversity of xyz medical center!" and this was not our hospital...

This is my biggest fear! I stressed multiple times to all of my writers that I wanted a general letter and informed them I would be submitting the same LOR to all of the programs to which I was applying. But mistakes can happen...(shouldn't in this case, but they do).