Philly area residency feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAbound2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just discovered this website :). I tried to do a search for the info I need but i can't really find anything... I was hoping I could get some feedback on surgical residencies in the Philadelphia area. I'm currently a 3rd year at a med school in NY. My husband was just told he's being transferred to a position in the Philly area in January, so it looks like I"ll be headed that way too. There's a limited number of options (approx 15 by my count?) so I'll be applying to all, but I was hoping to get opinions on the programs from people who are more familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to do a search for the info I need but i can't really find anything... I was hoping I could get some feedback on surgical residencies in the Philadelphia area. I'm currently a 3rd year at a med school in NY. My husband was just told he's being transferred to a position in the Philly area in January, so it looks like I"ll be headed that way too. There's a limited number of options (approx 15 by my count?) so I'll be applying to all, but I was hoping to get opinions on the programs from people who are more familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!

When you counted 15, did you count the programs in NJ and Delaware? Some of the programs in NJ and Delaware are quite close, depending on where you live.

When you counted 15, did you count the programs in NJ and Delaware? Some of the programs in NJ and Delaware are quite close, depending on where you live.

I did, thanks :)

I've received some good info via PM, still looking for more opinions though if anyone's willing!

I would only place 10 within true driving distance:

DE: Christiana
NJ: UMDNJ-Camden, Cooper
PA: Penn, Jeff, Temple, Drexel-Hahnemann, Abington, Einstein, Wynnewood

Seton Hall - Trenton is a stretch at that distance from Philly, but it's also 3 months per annum in Northern NJ.

Allentown, Hershey and New Brunswick are just too far.

All changes if your husband is willing to take on a hellish commute. At that point, NYC and Baltimore are fair game (though I've seen marriages fall apart from this). :D:love:

I would only place 10 within true driving distance:

DE: Christiana
NJ: UMDNJ-Camden, Cooper
PA: Penn, Jeff, Temple, Drexel-Hahnemann, Abington, Einstein, Wynnewood

Wynnewood? :confused: Do you mean Lankenau? Wynnewood is the name of the suburb where Lankenau Hospital is located in. (A surprisingly decent program, by the way.)

And UMDNJ-Camden IS the same as Cooper. UMDNJ-Camden is the medical school satellite campus that is affiliated with Cooper Hospital.

It all depends on the nature of her husband's job as well.

The best approach is to find a couple programs you really like and do away rotations there and do well. Here is my take on some of them after interviewing/knowing people there/doing aways.

Philadelphia hospitals: I hope you like trauma.

Jefferson: Really good overall general surgery program. I loved the residents I worked with there and the surgeons were very very good. I found the program's hierarchy rather malignant though. Residents worked long hours (100+ two weeks I was there, 80+ the other two). Not as trauma heavy as Penn/Temple. Require 1 research year (6-yr program), may become 7yr depending on when you apply.

UPenn/HUP: Will see great surgery. reputed to be malignant. I was there as a student and found the people I worked with liked me (do your job, do it well, don't complain) but people could be really short/blunt. Research heavy. Attendings very good at what they do. Adherence to hours questionable. 7 year program (two research years)

Temple: Very trauma heavy because you are in the heart of ghetto. Will see a lot of gsw/stabbings. Not so fantabulous for things like whipples, hepatobiliary, transplant surgeries, but you'll get more than your fair share of numbers and it will be exciting to say the least. They try to adhere strictly to 80 hr wks (the residency director is awesome with residents). (5 year program)

Drexel/Hahnemann: Less trauma heavy. Short staffed. Longer than normal hours. Not reputed to be the best program mostly due to financial instability of the institution. (5 year program)

Abington (PA): Great program. One of my friends is here and he loves it. It's a private hospital, but the attendings let the residents work will all their patients. Very focused on teaching. (not good for research if you want to do it). Adher to 80 wks on average (they try to make it a point). Will def. get numbers. (5 year program)

UMDNJ: Good program. Residents I know from there noted that they get good numbers, not really malignant, lots of experiences. Do less scut, better hours. (5 year program)

Problem with phila/camden hospitals: you do a lot of scut. Nursing help isn't as nice as other places or private hospitals, because they are very very short staffed. As a student, I did about 100 abg's alone in three weeks (I was only one doing them in the ICU), A-lines, IVs, dressing changes, etc. Social workers are limited in the area too. But you learn a lot and it prepares you very well, although as an attending, you'll probably very rarely need to put in an IV.

Hope this helps