Philadephia, PA for FP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone share information on how life is like for a FP resident in Philly? I am a New Yorker at heart, but I feel like trying something new. I guess what I need to know is:

Nice Neighborhoods
Downtown or the Suburbs to live - what do people do?
Cost of living - I know Philly hands down, but we get the same ~40K so I wanted to ask...
Great FP programs (PCOM system or not)
etc, etc, etc,

And if you live in Philly, and you are trying to get out, then please say why if you can!

Thank you so much already!

Members don't see this ad.

dr_almondjoy_do said:
Could anyone share information on how life is like for a FP resident in Philly? I am a New Yorker at heart, but I feel like trying something new. I guess what I need to know is:

Nice Neighborhoods
Downtown or the Suburbs to live - what do people do?
Cost of living - I know Philly hands down, but we get the same ~40K so I wanted to ask...
Great FP programs (PCOM system or not)
etc, etc, etc,

And if you live in Philly, and you are trying to get out, then please say why if you can!

Thank you so much already!

I've heard very god things about Chestnut Hill hospital in Philadelphia. Good neighborhood and a nice thriving practice. Peds rotations at CHOP. Good OB training.

I'm a fourth year living in philly. I did my 3rd year FP rotation at the Crozer-Chester FP residency clinic, and was really impressed by their program. I've heard good things about bryn mawr, but don't know anything about it.

nice neighborhoods: center city, old city, art museum area
in the suburbs: ardmore, narberth, media
cost of living: affordable; significantly more so than NYC or DC

Thank you so much! This will really help. People already think I'm crazy for leaving NY to go anywhere, so I wanna make sure it's a worthy move.