PhD vs. Dr.Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between these two degrees? Specifically, would someone with a Dr.PH in epidemiology have the same opportunities as a person with a PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

They are pretty much the same. Similarly, one can get an M.S. or an M.P.H. in most programs that are accredited. The difference is that the MS and the PhD are more geared toward research and academics. The MPH, and to some degree the DrPH, is geared toward application of public health principles. If you were interested in government or non-profit work, having one of the "PH" degrees might be slightly advantageous. I've heard that in some circles, having the "PH" degree opens doors (kind of like being a card-carrying public health professional). For instance, even some faculty positions I've seen in preventive or community medicine say "either MD/MPH, Ph.D. or equivalent". But, for nearly all cases, the same doors would be open with the PhD and the DrPH. In academic circles, you may find those who emphasize research favoring the PhD and those who favor academic "service" favoring the DrPH.

And, sometimes people mix and match. Someone with an MS may go on to get a DrPH, and someone with an MPH may get an PhD.

I'm in the process of looking into programs to apply to. From what I've been reading, it looks like most schools require an MPH, MD, MSN or other post-bacc degree as well as work experience using that degree to apply for a DrPH. Most PhD programs do not have any degree pre-requisites (I assume you get your MS in Public Health after your first 2 years and then do a dissertation).

I've also noticed that, generally, one applies to a university’s School of Public Health for a DrPH and the SPH as well as the Graduate School for a PhD.

And to echo what has already been said, a DrPH is a professional degree and a PhD is more academic.

I'm in an MPH program and my advisor told me that a DPH was basically a waste of time. Academics in the field believe the PhD to has much more weight than a DPH; in fact, they're looked down upon. My advisor is an MD and has been in the field for a long time, so I trust his judgment on this.