PharmD to NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamapharmacist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a pharmacist who is interested in changing careers. Potentially to an NP. Does anyone know what would be the most efficient way to convert? I understand in order to become an NP, you would have to be an RN first? Is there an accelerated program for people who have higher degrees that could shorten the time? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Fastest thing you could do is an accelerated BSN that takes a year, then get into a 2 year NP program. NP is getting as saturated as pharmacy in many respects. Oddly enough, the folks at nursing programs won’t care much about you having a pharmacy degree. You might want to just become a PA, because you’ll probably have most of the prereqs, and be a hot candidate for them to pick up. I do know of one PA locally that was a pharmacist in their past life that now works for a doctor.

Right now is a tough job market for a lot of new grads. I guess the important question is why you want to transition. If it’s to look for better money and job stability, you will be entering the market in about 4 years to a new reality that might look a lot like pharmacy does right now. You’ll be one of the best educated people making $98k (if you are lucky) and working at a minute clinic. One of my competent nurses friends graduated as an FNP, looked for work for most of the year, found a job paying sub $100k in another state, and relocated. They were happy with that one offer because they had to be. Nothing else was around. I’m in psyche, the gold mine in a lot of folks eyes. Nobody is hiring, and everyone is rushing to it thinking that will be their ace in the hole. It’s an ace in the hole for folks who know psyche, and how to deal with psyche patients. They don’t hire naive folks with no experience as psyche NPs because the psyche office is where folks go when primary care doesn’t have the time to dig in to address the patients needs. You have to be productive and relatively effective.

Reactions: 1 users
Fastest thing you could do is an accelerated BSN that takes a year, then get into a 2 year NP program. NP is getting as saturated as pharmacy in many respects. Oddly enough, the folks at nursing programs won’t care much about you having a pharmacy degree. You might want to just become a PA, because you’ll probably have most of the prereqs, and be a hot candidate for them to pick up. I do know of one PA locally that was a pharmacist in their past life that now works for a doctor.

Right now is a tough job market for a lot of new grads. I guess the important question is why you want to transition. If it’s to look for better money and job stability, you will be entering the market in about 4 years to a new reality that might look a lot like pharmacy does right now. You’ll be one of the best educated people making $98k (if you are lucky) and working at a minute clinic. One of my competent nurses friends graduated as an FNP, looked for work for most of the year, found a job paying sub $100k in another state, and relocated. They were happy with that one offer because they had to be. Nothing else was around. I’m in psyche, the gold mine in a lot of folks eyes. Nobody is hiring, and everyone is rushing to it thinking that will be their ace in the hole. It’s an ace in the hole for folks who know psyche, and how to deal with psyche patients. They don’t hire naive folks with no experience as psyche NPs because the psyche office is where folks go when primary care doesn’t have the time to dig in to address the patients needs. You have to be productive and relatively effective.
I've looked into PA schools and most wanted to me retake some of the classes which would've taken 2 years. I did my undergrad more than 10 years ago. I want to switch because pharmacy isn't what I expected or the way it's changing, I feel like there is no future. It's not just about saturation. Pharmacy is a dying profession.

Accelerated BSN program may be a good option. I will look into it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with pamac, if you could swing PA school, that would be better, but see the outdated prereqs as being an issue for sure. Accelerated BSN follow by NP/MSN program or you can do a direct entry MSN/NP program.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with pamac, if you could swing PA school, that would be better, but see the outdated prereqs as being an issue for sure. Accelerated BSN follow by NP/MSN program or you can do a direct entry MSN/NP program.
Do nursing schools have different prereqs? If I have a BS in bio from more than 10 years ago, would I have to retake prereqs? I also have a MS in neuroscience and obviously a pharmd.

It will depend on each individual program you are applying to. I had a heavy pre med slate of coursework, and all of those classes were deemed acceptable to the program I applied to. It was overkill, essentially.

Do not do a direct entry NP pathway. Those are more troublesome than just doing an accelerated BSN and then going to NP school.

But seriously, you need to think hard about becoming a provider, particularly the time you’ll put into it vs what you’ll get out of it. I’d go dental before I did NP or PA. This is a different world than it used to be. In 2010, being a prescriber that didn’t have to go to medical school was rad. The pros were that it was quick, and you would crack $100k easy. I think that 10 years later, wages are still around what they were back then..... which is bad because inflation means you would be among less, or basically making about the same. I don’t feel like it’s growing, that’s for sure. I feel like PA and NP are great for folks moving up, but not for folks living down or laterally from another professional field (I’m thinking of pharmacy or PT). Physicians still rule, and they always will. But I think their world is changing too. The younger docs I work with aren’t out for as much money, and are looking for quality of life, and middle management that

The main thing is to find a career that you enjoy and not worry about money as much. If you are financially savvy you can make a ton of money by investing or similar with a job that is lower paying. People who prioritize money as #1 and go into healthcare just for that are generally not happy. There are far easier ways to make money rather than toiling away in the healthcare field.

Reactions: 4 users
The main thing is to find a career that you enjoy and not worry about money as much. If you are financially savvy you can make a ton of money by investing or similar with a job that is lower paying. People who prioritize money as #1 and go into healthcare just for that are generally not happy. There are far easier ways to make money rather than toiling away in the healthcare field.
Money isn't the biggest concern. I do enjoy my career as a pharmacist but the problem we are having, not just the saturation but big corps ruling over EVERYTHING and not having control over our own career and profession, is becoming very scary.

I feel that as a pharmacist, we are easily replaceable and easy to produce hence by creating more schools and decreasing wage, big corp pharmacies are able to make millions if not billions. I feel like this is a dead end job sometimes.

Money isn't the biggest concern. I do enjoy my career as a pharmacist but the problem we are having, not just the saturation but big corps ruling over EVERYTHING and not having control over our own career and profession, is becoming very scary.

I feel that as a pharmacist, we are easily replaceable and easy to produce hence by creating more schools and decreasing wage, big corp pharmacies are able to make millions if not billions. I feel like this is a dead end job sometimes.
To some extent we all could be replaceable by another worker, but yes, most folks don’t pay much attention to their pharmacist, and one personality is about the same as any other for the vast majority of customers coming to pick up their meds. You will probably be greeted by the same thing when you become an NP. They are cranking them out like crazy right now as well. The landscape looks similar to pharmacy. I remember around 10 years ago doing something in the community as an RN alongside some pharmacy students. They were like “yep, storms coming. The job market is tough, and we aren’t expecting to have tons of offers when we graduate”. That blew me away.

Right now with COVID, new NPs are having it rough as well. My guess is that when COVID is over, the market will have adapted to more scaled down practices, and healthcare won’t be immune to streamlining. The money saving measures will just be cemented in place. I know more RNs that graduated in the last year that are still working as RNs than were hired, by a factor of like 6:1. In raw numbers I know about 13 new NP grads, and 3 have jobs nailed down, and those jobs came over 6 months after graduating. Most of those folks are solid nurses... Experienced ER and ICU folks, and several of them are very high performers. On the PA forums, folks there are feeling it just as bad. All of these people will still be looking for jobs alongside the newer grads coming out of the pipeline each semester. So in terms of just having a job waiting for a graduate, let alone having control of ones destiny, things the first hurdle is simply finding a place to settle in. Everything else is moot if that aspect isn’t covered. Any shortage of providers will be back filled by folks waiting in the nursing workforce in current RN positions. A lot of those RNs are making $3k-$5k per week as traveling RNs, waiting in the sidelines to snag a job that opens up.

To some extent we all could be replaceable by another worker, but yes, most folks don’t pay much attention to their pharmacist, and one personality is about the same as any other for the vast majority of customers coming to pick up their meds. You will probably be greeted by the same thing when you become an NP. They are cranking them out like crazy right now as well. The landscape looks similar to pharmacy. I remember around 10 years ago doing something in the community as an RN alongside some pharmacy students. They were like “yep, storms coming. The job market is tough, and we aren’t expecting to have tons of offers when we graduate”. That blew me away.

Right now with COVID, new NPs are having it rough as well. My guess is that when COVID is over, the market will have adapted to more scaled down practices, and healthcare won’t be immune to streamlining. The money saving measures will just be cemented in place. I know more RNs that graduated in the last year that are still working as RNs than were hired, by a factor of like 6:1. In raw numbers I know about 13 new NP grads, and 3 have jobs nailed down, and those jobs came over 6 months after graduating. Most of those folks are solid nurses... Experienced ER and ICU folks, and several of them are very high performers. On the PA forums, folks there are feeling it just as bad. All of these people will still be looking for jobs alongside the newer grads coming out of the pipeline each semester. So in terms of just having a job waiting for a graduate, let alone having control of ones destiny, things the first hurdle is simply finding a place to settle in. Everything else is moot if that aspect isn’t covered. Any shortage of providers will be back filled by folks waiting in the nursing workforce in current RN positions. A lot of those RNs are making $3k-$5k per week as traveling RNs, waiting in the sidelines to snag a job that opens up.
Damn it. So the solution is to go to a med school? lol I would've spent more time getting degrees than actual time spent practicing at that point lol

Damn it. So the solution is to go to a med school? lol I would've spent more time getting degrees than actual time spent practicing at that point lol
Ask PA programs directly about pre-reqs. Some PA programs (e.g. USC) might waive your pre-reqs based on your background, and some don't have expiration (e.g. BU). It makes no sense for you to re-take pre-reqs (unless you did poorly) with your PharmD and MS in neuroscience because you've already taken many upper-level courses beyond basic pre-reqs.

You can become a PA much faster than NP. Plus, PA is far more versatile if you are not sure what specialty or setting you want to work in. For example, NPs are split into different specialties (age population, clinical specialty) and setting (inpatient vs. outpatient vs. emergency room); this can limit your opportunities. If your goal is in specialty areas such as psych, neonates, anesthesia, or midwife, then NP or CNM might be a better option.

Direct-Entry NP programs take minimum of 3-4 years full time. If you want to work as a RN first, it'll take longer. I took the latter route and it took me 6 years to become an NP (granted I worked in business and initially I wasn't even thinking about becoming an NP). People have different opinions about Direct-Entry programs. I would feel much more comfortable recommending Direct-Entry NP program to a pharmacist than someone with a BA in Art History or BS in Information Technology (believe it or not I have seen those folks becoming NPs without any nursing experience).

It's true that FNP and AGNP are very saturated especially in larger cities. There are still jobs out there if you are willing to move anywhere in the country or live in rural areas.

People have different opinions about Direct-Entry programs. I would feel much more comfortable recommending Direct-Entry NP program to a pharmacist than someone with a BA in Art History or BS in Information Technology (believe it or not I have seen those folks becoming NPs without any nursing experience).
The thing about direct entry is that it’s just a more complicated way to become an NP. I can make my own direct entry program and not move to where the in person direct entry program is located. Direct entry is just an accelerated bachelors degree, then a quick transition into an NP portion. They “put you to work” as an RN while you do the NP part, but they usually don’t grant you the BSN, so you have to finish their Np portion with them to have any degree. And they are expensive.

My answer to the direct entry? Get an accelerated BSN where you live and be done with that in a year. Then transition into an NP program as quick as you can, and work where you want with your BSN while you do your NP. That’s the same thing, but better for pretty much everyone. You can be done in the same amount of time, for cheaper, make more money as a nurse where you want to. I can’t help but think a direct entry is a scam.

Last edited:
I already attempted to apply for PA programs. The problem is I am not able to move to another city and I could only either do an online program or local. They all required all their pre-reqs to be met. I made my argument that I have all A's in those pre-reqs and that my pharmacy school grades were excellent, yet they still rejected lol. Interestingly, meds schools didn't care about my prereqs as long as I took the mcat... so I asked my doctors friends why that is and they said PAs have an inferiority problem... lol shots fired... lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go ace the MCAT! In theory, you can be an NP within 3 years. That’s if you somehow manage to thread the needle and transition immediately from getting your BSN to starting your NP program. My NP program didn’t want to talk to me until I had the BSN literally in hand. I wanted to go to that particular program, so I jumped through their hoop. It cost me time, because between graduating the BSN program, and being able to apply to my NP program, involved a gap of several months. Then they took their time evaluating me, then accepting me, then telling me they would start me several months later. So the better part of a year. Four years is medical school proper. Very hard, but you know what hard school is like. Your brain will be well suited for that. Then you go do a residency. I get it.... it’s seven years or more, and not 3 or 4. But your choices really are pretty much PA or MD. 2 years or 7. NP is just right there in the middle. Close in length to MD, but longer than PA. I just think the quirkiness of the pathway to become an NP is enough to throw someone like you off the path. You’ll be wiping a butt as a nurse to get a feel for the field, and be like “screw this, I’m a gosh darned pharmacist with a doctorate!” The NP route is good for nurses, and not much for anyone else. We work our way through school, and develop skills dealing with sick folks as we go. We learn the ins and outs of healthcare. You could moonlight as a pharmacist, but then you’ll miss out on a lot of experiences that help bridge the gap between being a novice, and being someone who knows what to do to solve problems.

The reason PA programs want fresh coursework is because they get so many folks that have just the prereqs, and very little health care exposure. They have to put folks on a crash course, and have one year of class to do it. They should be able to recognize your value, but they want a streamlined, uniform process so they can blaze through all the applicants to find the ones that are as homogeneously good fits for the way they operate. They don’t have the depth that medical school has, and they won’t slow down for the folks struggling. You wouldn’t be struggling, but you also aren’t the typical applicant they see, so it would t surprise me that many programs wouldn’t have a process that caters to the fringes, like where you live. However, some programs would. Finding those kinds of programs is a chore. You’d likely be a good candidate for Yale’s online PA program. They seem like a place that wants to cater to a sense of nonconformity in the students they take.

Reactions: 3 users
I already attempted to apply for PA programs. The problem is I am not able to move to another city and I could only either do an online program or local. They all required all their pre-reqs to be met. I made my argument that I have all A's in those pre-reqs and that my pharmacy school grades were excellent, yet they still rejected lol. Interestingly, meds schools didn't care about my prereqs as long as I took the mcat... so I asked my doctors friends why that is and they said PAs have an inferiority problem... lol shots fired... lol
So wait, you have all the local PA program's pre-reqs and they won't take them? Because they are too old? Or why?
Because medical schools do care about pre reqs. And yes, some expire after a while. I applied to many in TX back in the day and they required Pre recs.

So wait, you have all the local PA program's pre-reqs and they won't take them? Because they are too old? Or why?
Because medical schools do care about pre reqs. And yes, some expire after a while. I applied to many in TX back in the day and they required Pre recs.
Yes, one PA program didn't take my prereqs because it's older than 10 years.

I may just retake a&p at an online college and apply to the Yale PA program. They're claiming that my 79 on a&p I from pharmacy program is not acceptable. lol.

Yes, one PA program didn't take my prereqs because it's older than 10 years.

I may just retake a&p at an online college and apply to the Yale PA program. They're claiming that my 79 on a&p I from pharmacy program is not acceptable. lol.
Are you having a difficult time finding a job or are you just concerned as to where the future of pharmacy lies?
Yeah, do the online A and P for sure. I bet it's easy.

Are you having a difficult time finding a job or are you just concerned as to where the future of pharmacy lies?
Yeah, do the online A and P for sure. I bet it's easy.
No, I have a good job. I'm a pharmacy manager at an independent pharmacy which in pharmacy world is probably the best job you can have. I am just concerned about where the profession is heading. I know with Rutledge vs PCMA case winning on pharmacy favor, there is some hope of big changes coming but at the same time, I don't know how long it will take for the change to occur. It took about 15 years for pharmacy to get this low so to bounce back up, it may take just as long if not longer.

As a physician, what is your opinion on PAs? Have you worked with any?

No, I have a good job. I'm a pharmacy manager at an independent pharmacy which in pharmacy world is probably the best job you can have. I am just concerned about where the profession is heading. I know with Rutledge vs PCMA case winning on pharmacy favor, there is some hope of big changes coming but at the same time, I don't know how long it will take for the change to occur. It took about 15 years for pharmacy to get this low so to bounce back up, it may take just as long if not longer.

As a physician, what is your opinion on PAs? Have you worked with any?
I have worked with PAs and NPs. Prefer PAs. Some NPs are easy to work with, but you find more arrogance and lack of taking proper direction from them because they are all taught in school about "independence" and seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Same with CRNAs versus AAs.
IMO, if you have a good job and are fulfilled, why are you jumping ship? The ship hasn't sank yet.
No one knows what the future holds so what makes you think you can predict the future? What if you went back to school again, lost a good two years worth of income, accrued more debt, came out, practiced as a PA for 20 years and then saw that nothing significant ever really happened to the Pharmacy profession in that time? Why are you panicking when you have a solid job?
When you end up losing your job, then it's time to jump ship.
In the meantime, save, save, save by living below your means.
I have been hearing the sky is falling in the Anesthesia world for over a decade. But there are still plenty of jobs around. Sure they may pay 20% less than ten years ago, but I don't really care as I never saw that ten year ago money and for me the money is still good.
Seriously, what are you doing?
Stay put.

I have worked with PAs and NPs. Prefer PAs. Some NPs are easy to work with, but you find more arrogance and lack of taking proper direction from them because they are all taught in school about "independence" and seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Same with CRNAs versus AAs.
IMO, if you have a good job and are fulfilled, why are you jumping ship? The ship hasn't sank yet.
No one knows what the future holds so what makes you think you can predict the future? What if you went back to school again, lost a good two years worth of income, accrued more debt, came out, practiced as a PA for 20 years and then saw that nothing significant ever really happened to the Pharmacy profession in that time? Why are you panicking when you have a solid job?
When you end up losing your job, then it's time to jump ship.
In the meantime, save, save, save by living below your means.
I have been hearing the sky is falling in the Anesthesia world for over a decade. But there are still plenty of jobs around. Sure they may pay 20% less than ten years ago, but I don't really care as I never saw that ten year ago money and for me the money is still good.
Seriously, what are you doing?
Stay put.
This is a very valid point and I agree with you 100%. I have considered all the possibilities. Here is one thing that really concerns me. As MD, PA, NP or whatever, your skills and knowledge matter in what you do. As a retail pharmacist, I'm sure hospital pharmacists would agree as well, that we are very easily replaceable and not as valued probably because our job does not require a doctorate. As a PA, I would be very interested in either family medicine or ortho. Money doesn't mean much if I am not happy with the money I have, if that makes sense. As far as student loans, I'll drag it out as long as I can and see what happens lol

Also, thinking about going through the military if I do get into a PA school which should help financially. All a speculation at this point but I may start with signing up for the a&p class.

This is a very valid point and I agree with you 100%. I have considered all the possibilities. Here is one thing that really concerns me. As MD, PA, NP or whatever, your skills and knowledge matter in what you do. As a retail pharmacist, I'm sure hospital pharmacists would agree as well, that we are very easily replaceable and not as valued probably because our job does not require a doctorate. As a PA, I would be very interested in either family medicine or ortho. Money doesn't mean much if I am not happy with the money I have, if that makes sense. As far as student loans, I'll drag it out as long as I can and see what happens lol

Also, thinking about going through the military if I do get into a PA school which should help financially. All a speculation at this point but I may start with signing up for the a&p class.
News flash. Plenty of doctors are easily replaceable. Especially ones like me who don’t bring patients to the hospital and are considered an expense.
I love my ICU pharmacists and I don’t see them as easily replaceable, but maybe I am wrong.

News flash. Plenty of doctors are easily replaceable. Especially ones like me who don’t bring patients to the hospital and are considered an expense.
I love my ICU pharmacists and I don’t see them as easily replaceable, but maybe I am wrong.
ICU pharmacists are actually different. They would be considered clinical pharmacists and are probably most valued pharmacists. 70-80% pharmacists are in some form of retail. I would agree that almost all jobs are replaceable but considering the job market and how the profession is at the moment, pharmacists are at the bottom of barrel as far how valuable the job is.

ICU pharmacists are actually different. They would be considered clinical pharmacists and are probably most valued pharmacists. 70-80% pharmacists are in some form of retail. I would agree that almost all jobs are replaceable but considering the job market and how the profession is at the moment, pharmacists are at the bottom of barrel as far how valuable the job is.
Wouldn’t it make more finalncial sense to go back and train an extra year to be an inpatient or ICU pharmacist?

Wouldn’t it make more finalncial sense to go back and train an extra year to be an inpatient or ICU pharmacist?
No, because that means that I would have to to do 2 years of residency. One, it is ultra competitive to get into a pharmacy residency from where I stand. I would think I have a better chance of going to a med school than going into a residency as a pharmacist who's removed from school for 5 years. Two, if I were to go to a PA school through the navy, I can get paid $75k/yr as an officer for 3 years that I am in school.

I would go to med school if I were you.

I was an RN for ~8 yrs; soon to be an IM attending in less than 5 months and I have no regrets. I actually like medicine.

Last edited:
I feel like PA and NP are great for folks moving up, but not for folks living down or laterally from another professional field (I’m thinking of pharmacy or PT). Physicians still rule, and they always will. But I think their world is changing too. The younger docs I work with aren’t out for as much money, and are looking for quality of life, and middle management that
I guess the grass is greener on the other side... Physicians still complain a lot even if they are making good money. I wonder how things were 20+ yrs ago.

I would go to med school if I were you.

I was an RN for ~8 yrs; soon to be an IM attending in less than 5 months and I have no regrets. I actually like medicine.
Well, going to med school would be great but would take much more time to prepare and finish. I'm in my late 30's which means I would probably be in late 40's or even early 50's by the time I start practicing. In order for me to be a PA, I would just have to complete one semester of a&p. Apply to potentially Yale program and get accepted, I would start in Jan of 2022. 3 years of PA school, I'll be 42 or 43 when I start practicing as a PA.

So are you doing this because you want to have direct patient care so you can do more than you do as a pharmacist, or are you doing this because pharmacy has dumped on itself and you are worried about future job prospects? If it is the latter, what are you gonna do if there is the same issue 5 years from now with the midlevel job industry as has happened to the pharmacist job market? I am no expert when it comes to mid levels, but having worked as a pharmacist for 10 years on the units in a few hospitals, literally 4 out of 5 nurses were getting their NP degree meaning the market is going to be hella tight for them soon if not already. You can guess what’s gonna happen to the salary in that case. Then what? I’m not trying to discourage you, I am just saying that you need to look deeper at this issue and plan ahead.

I want to do this for both reasons. I want to do more with my life other than just clicking and scanning on s#!t and also want to get out of this horrible profession.

I understand PA market may be saturating but there is going be growth. We, pharmacists, are expected to have -3% growth in the next decade...

Last edited:
Well, going to med school would be great but would take much more time to prepare and finish. I'm in my late 30's which means I would probably be in late 40's or even early 50's by the time I start practicing. In order for me to be a PA, I would just have to complete one semester of a&p. Apply to potentially Yale program and get accepted, I would start in Jan of 2022. 3 years of PA school, I'll be 42 or 43 when I start practicing as a PA.
You will have ~20 years to work as a doc even if you finish residency in your late 40s...

You can pretty much start in 2022 since you already have all the prereqs. A mediocre MCAT (498+) will get you into DO school because of your experience.

You will have ~20 years to work as a doc even if you finish residency in your late 40s...

You can pretty much start in 2022 since you already have all the prereqs. A mediocre MCAT (498+) will get you into DO school because of your experience.
FCK. Stop tempting me! lol That is very convincing... lol

FCK. Stop tempting me! lol That is very convincing... lol
I am doing that because I was in the same situation (albeit a little younger) and now I am happy that I pulled the trigger. I was in nursing making ~50k/yr working only 2 days/wk, but I did not get any 'fulfillment' doing it. I debated about going to med school for a few years before I finally took the plunge ,and looking back, I am glad I did because I like what I do.

In addition, the unmeasurable benefit about being a physician (besides prestige, $$$ and etc...) is the flexibility... I have not even graduated yet, and I have had companies offering me jobs in every setting possible (9-5 Mon-Thurs jobs... telemedicine... disability eval on my own time... 1 week on/off... 5 days on, 10 days off... 3 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on again and then 7 days off etc...).These are FT jobs in which I could make 240k+/yr

There aren't that many jobs out there that give you these flexibilities while offering a decent salary... However, being a physician is not easy; the job can be mentally difficult because everyone is looking at you to make the tough calls.

I am doing that because I was in the same situation (albeit a little younger) and now I am happy that I pulled the trigger. I was in nursing making ~50k/yr working only 2 days/wk, but I did not get any 'fulfillment' doing it. I debated about going to med school for a few years before I finally took the plunge ,and looking back, I am glad I did.

The unmeasurable benefit about being a physician (besides prestige, $$$ and etc...) is the flexibility... I have not even graduated yet, and I have had companies offering me jobs in every setting possible (9-5 Mon-Thurs jobs... telemedicine... disability eval on my own time... 1 week on/off... 5 days on, 10 days off... 3 days on, 1 day on, 3 days on again and then 7 days off etc...).These are FT jobs in which I could make 240k+/yr

There aren't that many jobs out there that give you these flexibilities while offering a decent salary... However, being a physician is not easy because the job can be mentally difficult because everyone is looking at you to make the tough calls.
That's a great advise. I almost pulled the trigger on taking mcat last year but decided to apply to PA programs when I found out that I could apply right away without taking any exams or classes only to find out that they're prereq requirements have to be 80 or above. Of course no one cared about grades in pharmacy school and neither did I and ended up with a 79 in first a&p.

I looked into weekend only princeton review online mcat class. Any thoughts on that?

That's a great advise. I almost pulled the trigger on taking mcat last year but decided to apply to PA programs when I found out that I could apply right away without taking any exams or classes only to find out that they're prereq requirements have to be 80 or above. Of course no one cared about grades in pharmacy school and neither did I and ended up with a 79 in first a&p.

I looked into weekend only princeton review online mcat class. Any thoughts on that?
I used Princeton Review and Berkley Review when I was studying for the MCAT. Both are excellent prep materials. 12-14 wks of prep should be enough to get you 500+, which is a good score for many DO schools.

I used Princeton Review and Berkley Review when I was studying for the MCAT. Both are excellent prep materials. 12-14 wks of prep should be enough to get you 500+, which is a good score for many DO schools.
Would it be doable while working full time? Granted, I only work 4 days a week.

Would it be doable while working full time? Granted, I only work 4 days a week.
Definitely... I think ~25 hrs/wk for 12-14 wks should be enough to get 500+. Again, you are not shooting for 515+ here.

Hello,

I am a pharmacist who is interested in changing careers. Potentially to an NP. Does anyone know what would be the most efficient way to convert? I understand in order to become an NP, you would have to be an RN first? Is there an accelerated program for people who have higher degrees that could shorten the time? Thank you in advance for your advice.

isnt there an advance practice pharmacist nowadays? I worked at a major oncology academic center where pharmacist were like PA/NP and were able to prescribe; they made $140K/yr I think. If it will take 3 years to become an NP; I would consider going to a 3 yr med school instead; there are several of them around.

I realized it would be much better and almost easier to study for the mcat and go to med school at this point. PA schools are making me jump through too many hoops. Apparently, in order for me to apply to med school at this point is to just take the mcat and apply... lol

Wish me luck. I'm going to start studying for the mcat in March. Maybe shoot for 6 months of studying.

I will probably apply next cycle in 2022 meaning I'll be 40 by the time I start school. Scary. Still get to practice at least 20 years as a doctor right? haha better to live my life satisfied for 20 years than regretting and thinking "what if" for the rest.

I will probably apply next cycle in 2022 meaning I'll be 40 by the time I start school. Scary. Still get to practice at least 20 years as a doctor right? haha better to live my life satisfied for 20 years than regretting and thinking "what if" for the rest.
That's the spirit. Good luck!

You will not regret this decision. I had ~10 classmates in their 40's when med school started and even 2 in their 50's. The latter 2 were both PA's with decades of experience and still made the jump that late in the game.

Oh and we also had a PharmD in our class, albeit she was in her early 30's I believe.

I’d rather walk back and forth across the country for 7 years straight on foot than retool my career to become a new doctor at age 47. I can’t help but think it’s overkill to become a physician vs putting that energy into the doctorate you’ve already obtained. Or literally anything else. You could dabble in business ventures and probably get a better return in your investment for the time you’ll put in to medicine.

You’ve mentioned some of your motivation, but what drives this deep down? (You can just answer that to yourself, I’m not expecting you to share). Becoming a physician involves seven years of chains. You’ll go to school where you get in, you’ll do residency where they tell you. You’ll be wedded to a schedule that’s rigid, and plotted out by someone who is not you. If you are pursuing this because you feel like your potential is wasted counting pills, then that’s a steep price to pay to get out of that situation. So is the prestige. Who do you know that is going to find it prestigious to be talking to a 47 year old brand new doctor? People are going to feel bad for you more than anything.

I absolutely love my job, which is something a lot of folks outside of psyche can’t believe. I do a tremendous amount of good each day. And I get a fair share of envy from folks who see my role as more relatable and obtainable than if they were to imagine themselves pursuing medical school. But in 15 years of working in healthcare, I rarely have gotten much more than a “thanks for your help” from a patient. Each year I appreciate the prestige factor less and less, and each year I care about being at home more and more.

I had a physician tell me that a physician spends thier 20s getting into and through medical school, their 30’s paying it off, their 40’s living at or above their means to justify the sacrifice getting there (while still paying it off), their 50’s getting ready for the retirement they want, and their 60’s realizing they have to work some more to make that happen. All the while, they are working their guts out. When you recalibrate that logic to what you intend to do, that puts you putting the finishing touches on that last part while you are in your 80’s.

Your situation gives you 3 stinky choices if you want to get into the prescriber game. Medical school is long, and that’s if you choose the shortest residency you can, and forego a fellowship. NP school is too long for what you get out of it. Becoming a PA is a dead end career that doesn’t even know it’s dying yet or why, but the school itself is literally 2 years, which is the redeeming value to the ill informed. I’d suggest you just invest in a role linked to what you currently do, since that’s the territory you are in. By the time you get out of medical training, we could be looking at socialized medicine, along with a fixed wage for physicians. You’ll spend the next 8 years working yourself to the bone, so ask yourself how you want every day to play out, and whether it’s worth it. Hanging out in the providers lounge in your 40’s watching bad tv and playing on your phone when you could be doing something else on a ski slope, (or with friends or family), isn’t my idea of a good time. Go get a directorship of a clinical pharmacy, or go teach, or pick up a second job. Or learn to code.

I’m certain that you will get wherever you want to go. That’s not the question. It’s whether it’s worth it.

I’d rather walk back and forth across the country for 7 years straight on foot than retool my career to become a new doctor at age 47. I can’t help but think it’s overkill to become a physician vs putting that energy into the doctorate you’ve already obtained. Or literally anything else. You could dabble in business ventures and probably get a better return in your investment for the time you’ll put in to medicine.

You’ve mentioned some of your motivation, but what drives this deep down? (You can just answer that to yourself, I’m not expecting you to share). Becoming a physician involves seven years of chains. You’ll go to school where you get in, you’ll do residency where they tell you. You’ll be wedded to a schedule that’s rigid, and plotted out by someone who is not you. If you are pursuing this because you feel like your potential is wasted counting pills, then that’s a steep price to pay to get out of that situation. So is the prestige. Who do you know that is going to find it prestigious to be talking to a 47 year old brand new doctor? People are going to feel bad for you more than anything.

I absolutely love my job, which is something a lot of folks outside of psyche can’t believe. I do a tremendous amount of good each day. And I get a fair share of envy from folks who see my role as more relatable and obtainable than if they were to imagine themselves pursuing medical school. But in 15 years of working in healthcare, I rarely have gotten much more than a “thanks for your help” from a patient. Each year I appreciate the prestige factor less and less, and each year I care about being at home more and more.

I had a physician tell me that a physician spends thier 20s getting into and through medical school, their 30’s paying it off, their 40’s living at or above their means to justify the sacrifice getting there (while still paying it off), their 50’s getting ready for the retirement they want, and their 60’s realizing they have to work some more to make that happen. All the while, they are working their guts out. When you recalibrate that logic to what you intend to do, that puts you putting the finishing touches on that last part while you are in your 80’s.

Your situation gives you 3 stinky choices if you want to get into the prescriber game. Medical school is long, and that’s if you choose the shortest residency you can, and forego a fellowship. NP school is too long for what you get out of it. Becoming a PA is a dead end career that doesn’t even know it’s dying yet or why, but the school itself is literally 2 years, which is the redeeming value to the ill informed. I’d suggest you just invest in a role linked to what you currently do, since that’s the territory you are in. By the time you get out of medical training, we could be looking at socialized medicine, along with a fixed wage for physicians. You’ll spend the next 8 years working yourself to the bone, so ask yourself how you want every day to play out, and whether it’s worth it. Hanging out in the providers lounge in your 40’s watching bad tv and playing on your phone when you could be doing something else on a ski slope, (or with friends or family), isn’t my idea of a good time. Go get a directorship of a clinical pharmacy, or go teach, or pick up a second job. Or learn to code.

I’m certain that you will get wherever you want to go. That’s not the question. It’s whether it’s worth it.
It would totally be worth it if it means that I am able to work until when ever I want to. It is a scary time to be a pharmacist right now. Especially when I know for a fact that majority of us may not have a job in about 10 years. If it means that in 10 years, I'll have a job in health care, I do not mind walking backwards on my career and go to med school.

It would totally be worth it if it means that I am able to work until when ever I want to. It is a scary time to be a pharmacist right now. Especially when I know for a fact that majority of us may not have a job in about 10 years. If it means that in 10 years, I'll have a job in health care, I do not mind walking backwards on my career and go to med school.
You would know your industry better than me, so I’ll concede to you that you need to jump to something else. Pharmacy seems ripe for takeover by technicians and quality control AI. The hospital lab setting has seen dramatic changes in the last 8 years, to the point where it’s unrecognizable to anyone that’s been frozen in ice for a few years. Example? Urinalysis. A computer compares a thousand fields to millions of stored images to instantly identify aberrant features. A tech does QC, loads reagents, and troubleshoots problems when the computer summons them to do it. 8 years ago, blood bank everywhere was hands on. Now it’s hands off everywhere. There’s nothing in a hospital lab besides phlebotomy that can’t be automated. It’s simplistic, but pharmacy is just pills (I know it’s more than that though). But even where a pharmacist is needed, fewer of them will be required. I think this is all what you’ve already told us.

In theory, you can work forever as a doctor in the right specialty, at least it seems that way for now. I’d be ready for some kind of disruption to medicine at some point, though. Could be from tele services enabling outsourcing. Could be from the fact that Np schools churn out more NPs than medical schools. New physicians being placated or bullied into worse conditions or wages could change the landscape. Imagine the new social model that encourages selflessness on the part of idealistic new physicians who make $180k and work regular hours vs rewarding pure production. I have no way of knowing what angle of attack is going to be used to level things out across the country at physicians expense, but one thing I feel is certain is that change is coming, and there is a target on the back of anyone with a modicum of success. It could even be that old docs are encouraged to step aside so a young folk (or two) can have a turn making money. But expect the disruption to come from somewhere unexpected... a place you never considered. If I had to guess, the next bill to climb will involve some kind of social initiative to level out the playing field for goals that have nothing to do with the quality of work that physicians churn out. I really expect medicine will be expected to change 180 degrees to accommodate some societal push. Maybe the removal of standards as a way to remedy some historical injustice. In any event, I don’t think the field anyone walks into in seven years will be recognizable to what we know now. While it’s not healthy to throw in the towel in fear of the unknown, it still bears considering.

Escape pharmacy? Sure. Watch where you dive into the water... absolutely.

I know the OP got banned or something. Maybe? But if he's still lurking, try the Veteran's Administration. From what I understand they have pharmacists evaluating patients, running clinics, and prescribing and changing other provider's meds very commonly. I guess that's about as expanded of a practice as you can get in pharmacy.