This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysstaypositive

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

Yes, there are many posts similar to mine and I looked at them. I did research on each field and I would like to know even more opinions about the two routes from this community. Here's a few questions to generate some ideas:

• Do you have any friends, family members, or contacts that became an RN and later on a PA or NP and how did it go for them?
  • For current pre-pharmacy or pharmacy students, did you ever have any thoughts about becoming an RN and later a NP or PA?
  • For pharmacists that you know (family members, friends, relatives) did they feel the same as in bullet point #2?
  • Vice versa for RN to PA or NP, did you have any thoughts of Pharmacy or was the burden of finances (loans) and saturation (depends on location) turn you away from that profession?

This is to help me make a final decision now to become one of the two. I understand that they're two different fields with their own curriculum but I want to hear some more personal opinions.

Thank-you,
Pre-pharm student

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN community,

Yes, there are many posts similar to mine and I looked at them. I did research on each field and I would like to know even more opinions about the two routes from this community. Here's a few questions to generate some ideas:

• Do you have any friends, family members, or contacts that became an RN and later on a PA or NP and how did it go for them?
  • For current pre-pharmacy or pharmacy students, did you ever have any thoughts about becoming an RN and later a NP or PA?
  • For pharmacists that you know (family members, friends, relatives) did they feel the same as in bullet point #2?
  • Vice versa for RN to PA or NP, did you have any thoughts of Pharmacy or was the burden of finances (loans) and saturation (depends on location) turn you away from that profession?

This is to help me make a final decision now to become one of the two. I understand that they're two different fields with their own curriculum but I want to hear some more personal opinions.

Thank-you,
Pre-pharm student

This would be better suited in the professional forums and current takes on these. Nonetheless you bring up good valid questions.

1) I have plenty of friends that did the RN and eventually NP route and absolutely loved the transition. I also speak with some that took it a step further to be a CRNA and haven’t looked back.

2) when I was in pharmacy school and studied pharmacology (as well as some physiology) concerning specific functions of drugs on the body I had a niche to analyze and think. This awakened my senses toward the diagnosing epilogue rather than just drug interaction mechanisms. Due to family situations with kids and wife I left on good terms from school. Now my focus is toward PA / MD route rather than returning to pharmacy.

3) currently work with both civilian and military pharmacists: Those that have worked in the field ~ 20+ years do not regret their decisions being a pharmacist during the time they were in school. However, many (not all) if given the chance due to the evolution of the field to start over in this decade would never consider Pharmacy but rather PA or NP. Majority in the field ~ 10 years wished they’d gone MD route knowing what they know now. However, those that had worked as a tech for a few years before pharmacy enjoy what they do and don’t give NP or PA a second glance.

4) I actually asked a few while I was in my studies. They shook their heads and never considered pharmacy. Currently work at the biggest army trauma center in the country: none of the PA / NPs could fully understand why anyone during this time would work in the pharmacy profession. Many respect it and ask pharmacists questions concerning medication overlap but could never see themselves in it.

That being said: these stories have something in common.

Nearly all the NPs and PAs shadowed and/or worked within the realm of there professions while majority of the pharmacists rarely stepped foot in a pharmacy before persuing there career. Just something to think about. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
This would be better suited in the professional forums and current takes on these. Nonetheless you bring up good valid questions.

1) I have plenty of friends that did the RN and eventually NP route and absolutely loved the transition. I also speak with some that took it a step further to be a CRNA and haven’t looked back.

2) when I was in pharmacy school and studied pharmacology (as well as some physiology) concerning specific functions of drugs on the body I had a niche to analyze and think. This awakened my senses toward the diagnosing epilogue rather than just drug interaction mechanisms. Due to family situations with kids and wife I left on good terms from school. Now my focus is toward PA / MD route rather than returning to pharmacy.

3) currently work with both civilian and military pharmacists: Those that have worked in the field ~ 20+ years do not regret their decisions being a pharmacist during the time they were in school. However, many (not all) if given the chance due to the evolution of the field to start over in this decade would never consider Pharmacy but rather PA or NP. Majority in the field ~ 10 years wished they’d gone MD route knowing what they know now. However, those that had worked as a tech for a few years before pharmacy enjoy what they do and don’t give NP or PA a second glance.

4) I actually asked a few while I was in my studies. They shook their heads and never considered pharmacy. Currently work at the biggest army trauma center in the country: none of the PA / NPs could fully understand why anyone during this time would work in the pharmacy profession. Many respect it and ask pharmacists questions concerning medication overlap but could never see themselves in it.

That being said: these stories have something in common.

Nearly all the NPs and PAs shadowed and/or worked within the realm of there professions while majority of the pharmacists rarely stepped foot in a pharmacy before persuing there career. Just something to think about. Best of luck

Wow, this is actual gold. There's a lot of truth and wisdom in this response and I thank-you for your time responding. I am not looking for a clear answer but something to fix my compass (I was tracking accounting for 2 years at a CC but the business field is not me). Without going fully off-track here, I just want to say I love the healthcare field because mainly you're doing God's work of caring for people regardless of what profession you're in. Every healthcare professional has a part in it. Aside from the headaches of insurances and the business aspects (which I see healthcare professionals complain about it), it's starting to come together for me to make a clear decision: RN to a higher profession (possible PA or NP--maybe something different). I respect all the students in Pharmacy and graduates but, time and money is a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
A few of my neighbors were RNs that became NPs. I think it's going alright for them but I have heard a lot of nurses mentioning that every other nurse is studying to be a NP so jobs will be harder to come by in the future. I think right now, it's alright.
Yes, but it's not realistic for me. I have family members that are nurses or are studying to be a nurse. They have the willpower to deal with feces, blood, and catheters for several years before even thinking about going to an NP or CRNA school. It's something I'd do if I really had to but I'd rather not so pharmacy was an easy choice for me. PA was actually an option for me but I can't remember why I switched to pharmacy instead of continuing with pre-PA.
I don't know any pharmacists that have thought about being nurses or PAs.
My sister is a nursing student and she has thought about going to pharmacy school since my "horror" stories at retail does not even compare to a fraction of the stuff she has to do as a nurse assistant. If you're already going to nursing school and are goal-oriented, do not change tracks because you will end up being confused.

Reactions: 1 user
A few of my neighbors were RNs that became NPs. I think it's going alright for them but I have heard a lot of nurses mentioning that every other nurse is studying to be a NP so jobs will be harder to come by in the future. I think right now, it's alright.
Yes, but it's not realistic for me. I have family members that are nurses or are studying to be a nurse. They have the willpower to deal with feces, blood, and catheters for several years before even thinking about going to an NP or CRNA school. It's something I'd do if I really had to but I'd rather not so pharmacy was an easy choice for me. PA was actually an option for me but I can't remember why I switched to pharmacy instead of continuing with pre-PA.
I don't know any pharmacists that have thought about being nurses or PAs.
My sister is a nursing student and she has thought about going to pharmacy school since my "horror" stories at retail does not even compare to a fraction of the stuff she has to do as a nurse assistant. If you're already going to nursing school and are goal-oriented, do not change tracks because you will end up being confused.

Thanks for your time and input. :)