Pharmacy Technician Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD 2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Should I take the pharmacy technician exam (PTCB) I’m applying for pharmacy school next year? My trainee license will expire in November 2020. Thank you for any advise!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my PTCB Friday, and my preliminary result said I passed. I was informed by someone already in pharmacy school that it looks better on an application.

I just took my PTCB Friday, and my preliminary result said I passed. I was informed by someone already in pharmacy school that it looks better on an application.

How was it? How many questions you can get wrong to pass? How did you study for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the 2019 PTCB study guide book off of Amazon. I work in a retail pharmacy, so most of the questions weren't that bad. Its 90 questions and each question is worth a different number of points. Its graded on a scale from 1000-1600. You must make at least a 1400 to pass. I actually took it twice. I failed it by 8 points the first time. I struggled with the math questions. So this past time when I took it, I reread the study guide book, I googled PTCB practice test and took a few of them, as well as focus on the math questions.

I bought the 2019 PTCB study guide book off of Amazon. I work in a retail pharmacy, so most of the questions weren't that bad. Its 90 questions and each question is worth a different number of points. Its graded on a scale from 1000-1600. You must make at least a 1400 to pass. I actually took it twice. I failed it by 8 points the first time. I struggled with the math questions. So this past time when I took it, I reread the study guide book, I googled PTCB practice test and took a few of them, as well as focus on the math questions.

When are you applying for pharmacy school?

I have applied for Early decision at Auburn University. I hope to get accepted and start fall of 2020.

I have applied for Early decision at Auburn University. I hope to get accepted and start fall of 2020.

Good Luck!!! May I ask why did you take the PTCB since you will be an intern if you get accepted?

I was told it looked better on the PharmCAS application. I also am working between then and now and wanted to make a little extra money.

I was told it looked better on the PharmCAS application. I also am working between then and now and wanted to make a little extra money.

OK. My exam is on Thursday, but I haven't studied hard for it. Can you apply for more than one school if you are doing the early decision?

I believe you can, just once you have been accepted, you can't back out

I believe you can, just once you have been accepted, you can't back out

I heard that you can apply to only one school and if you don't get in, then you can apply to more schools for not early decision though.

It tells you everything you need to know about Early Decision when you fill out pharmCAS