Pharmacy tech problems...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammiez0404

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell me someone has been in my shoes....

I'm a pharm tech at cvs, nationally certified, just got accepted to pharmacy school for fall 2016, I have a bachelors degree in communication, and I'm a parent.

But.

I am a god awful pharmacy technician, or so it feels. I know that I am not fast enough at production. I only work weekends so there's still a bunch of insurance issues I don't know how to resolve. I am a rule follower and ocd about labels, paper folding, organized shelves, etc. I knew going into this profession that I would not be a retail pharmacist but I thought I needed the experience. But good grief is it becoming miserable! Even my pharmacist is treating me differently.

What will be my options for interning other than retail? Does anyone think it would be better if I moved to a slower pharmacy or a pharmacy other than cvs? Because seriously, cvs and I are not compatible. My true interest is oncology. Suggestions, opinions, advice - help!

Members don't see this ad.

I worked for CVS 4 and a half years and even being the Lead tech essentially knowing everything it was miserable. I don't mind retail it's just the company doesn't make it realistic to get things done efficiently. My recommendation with the time you have before school starts is to try your best to get into hospital pharmacy. I currently work at Kaiser permanente in an outpatient pharmacy where they not only pay twice as much as CVS but have better benefits and intern positions. Get out of CVS asap! That being said retail experience is important since more than likely we will have to work in that setting for a period of time once we graduate.

Retail definitely sucks but if you stick with CVS and graduate pharmacy school, you can potentially get a job offer. That being said maybe work retail for a year to gain experience and build your resume then apply to other places. If you get a job offer outside of retail after pharmacy school then what I said wont matter.

I just heard its getting hard for recent grad pharmacists to find a job.