Pharmacy student applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macj1014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a 4th yr pharmacy student applying to medical school. I got a 20 and a 25 on my two attempts at the MCAT. My undergrad GPA is high, but I dont know exactly what it is because AMCAS has not calculated it yet. I have extensive clinical experience with all healthcare practitioners. I have applied to 14 schools so far as of 07/03/2012, and I may apply to more.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you have a good deal of clinical experience, but w/out an exact GPA (and what kind of school it's coming from), going off the MCAT alone I'd say the odds are not good. You should really sign up for an August test date and aim to improve that score again, seems like you're on an upward trend. Also, can't say much without guessing a school list, but even for lower ones the averages tend to be higher than yours, especially considering many people with higher stats apply to more than 14 schools

Im an under represented minority in healthcare too. I hope that helps. I saw this graph in the what are my chances link that said I have a 75% chance of getting in based on applicants from 2009-2011 that fit my ethnicity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am a 4th yr pharmacy student applying to medical school. I got a 20 and a 25 on my two attempts at the MCAT. My undergrad GPA is high, but I dont know exactly what it is because AMCAS has not calculated it yet. I have extensive clinical experience with all healthcare practitioners. I have applied to 14 schools so far as of 07/03/2012, and I may apply to more.

What are my chances?
Besides your stats (with hopefully, balanced MCAT subscores), chances lie with the tone of your Primary Statement (which in your case will also need a good explanation for why you are a career-changer). strength of your LORs, how comprehensive your ECs are and whether they fit the mission of a given school, lack of significant legal or institutional issues, and whether you interview well. Ideally, you plan to complete the Pharm program you're in and have the support of your advisor there, as med schools don't like to steal away students from other professional programs. Having a lenient school in your home state is very helpful, too.

I am an Arizona resident. My top choice is UofA Phoenix. I just need to get some interviews because realistically I will go to any school that admits me. What are my chances on landing an interview specifically?