Pharmacy School Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maryamrx

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Please read my post and only give your honest opinion if you are a pharmacist/pharmacy student

I’m a female and my age is 26. I have a bachelor’s degree in human biology and I currently have an acceptance offer at a pharmacy school. At first I was very excited to start my pharmacy career then all of the sudden I started thinking about how saturated it is and also the most important thing is that I’m married and might want a child in the next year or two and how manageable that would be while being in pharmacy school. Would you still recommend proceeding with pharmacy? Would having a baby be durable while in school?

Another option would be to apply for a master’s degree instead but my problem is that I’m not interested in Biology and the masters I was thinking about is biomedical engineering so it is more on the engineering side

What do you think I should go for? Masters or proceed with pharmacy?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Do the masters in bme

Look at my signature block concerning job saturation and if it's worth it -

tld;r - slow down, look at other options, pre-plan how you'll work/study with a newborn, do not pursue a career with doubts with a questionable future.

What is your undergrad GPA? Are you interested in other avenues of healthcare (PT, PA, MD/DO, Dental, Optometry, etc.) or are you pivoting away from professional degrees altogether? What is your overall debt? Is the significant other in school or working full time/part time? Did you think what the plan would be if you started school (i.e. day-care, family members nearby, so on and so forth)?

Not much info to go off of, but I'll say in undergrad (biochemistry), with myself and spouse both fulltime students working part-time jobs, we were able to pull it off with one newborn. Now that I'm finishing up my PharmD next month, we now have two kids in elementary school and she (was a social worker) has now become a stay-at-home mom. Others in my class pulled it off with newborns while in school (one had twins) so it's doable.

If you're having doubts and highly aware of what it means (job wise) after graduation, I'd 100% slow down and put pharmacy school on the back-burner of your mind. Explore other options (especially a masters in biomedical engineering) and get some work experience or at least branch out before diving further with an uncertain mind. As a non-trad myself, I've told many others that if I had not had my education covered while having a steady flow of income to support my family, I would've thought twice before diving into this field of choice (not that I hate pharmacy, it's just a pros/cons and opportunity cost analysis that wouldn't add up for me).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Engineering for sure. It's going to be very difficult to balance a child and a job in pharmacy (if you manage to land one in this saturated market) due to the terrible work-life balance most pharmacists have to endure.

Reactions: 1 user