Pharmacy school drug testing and prescribed drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirader

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted into a pharmacy school and they require drug testing and a background check. I have no criminal background and have never used illegal drugs. However, I was wondering would legal prescribed (C-II) medications for chronic pain be enough to cause me to be rejected from pharmacy school? I currently work in a pharmacy and had to undergo drug testing and had no issues with employment. Is the drug test more for detecting illegal drugs and not so much for therapeutic dosages?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure if you're legally prescribed medications for pain, you won't have a problem. If by some off chance your results come back funky, just let the pharmacy school know that you're taking prescribed medications for pain... I'm sure the drug test is more for illegal drugs.

From PharmCAS:

"Upon testing by the laboratory, if the specimen is found to be positive for one or more of the drugs tested, you will receive a telephone call from Medical Review Officer (MRO) at Certiphi Screening, Inc. The MRO will consult with you and your physician to obtain proof as to why the drug/medication was in your specimen."
So as long as it's something that you're legally using (if it even shows up on the drug screen), there shouldn't be an issue. You just may have to have your physician write a note or show that you have a prescription.

Definitely just a test for illegal drugs. As long as you have a current prescription for your medication you’ll be fine. Your main concern is the very lipophilic THC ;). Even a prescription for that is not allowed.
The illegality of that molecule is dumb and archaic, but I digress lol.

Also, congrats on being accepted!