Pharmacy Experience Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How would I go about volunteering, I have my pharm tech license but can't find a job so I want to volunteer? Do I just walk in into the hospital and ask the front desk, if not who do I talk to? Do hospitals usually take volunteers or should I go to like Walgreens or smaller family clinics with a pharmacy? If I went to Walgreens or a small clinic, whom to I talk to, the pharmacist or the pharmacist manager or the store manager??? I've never done this before so I'm looking for some direction. Oh and are there any special forms I must provide or sign since there's patient confidentiality involved or what have you? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think if a hospital accepts volunteers, then they will have a place with a staff in charge of volunteering services. You go to the volunteering service and tell them you want to volunteer. They will then ask you to fill out some papers, maybe go through an orientation, background check, TB test, blood test, and get a badge. Then you can start volunteering. That's what I had to go through at the VA hospital. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

There's usually a volunteer coordinator listed on hospital websites, so check there first. Large retail chains don't usually accept volunteers for some reason, but independent pharmacies might let you do some shadowing. Your best bet is hospital though. In my experience there will be a HIPPA training and then you have to pass a simple quiz about it. Everything TheMatrix said I had to do also. Basically all the stuff you have to do as a pharmacist anyways.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I got my tech license recently. I will take your advice and try to ask a pharmacist to shadow. When shadowing, do we just watch what the pharmacist does daily or does the pharmacist supervise us to perform certain tasks?

Usually shadowing means just observing what the pharmacist does, asking questions, etc. It's a great way to see what a day in the life of a pharmacist is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I don't have any experience in pharmacy and I would like to get started as soon as possible. Is it better to become a Pharmacy Tech or just volunteer at a hospital in the pharmacy department? Being a pharm tech you get paid and volunteering you don't get paid. Do pharmacy schools give preferences on one or the other? or it does not matter as long as you have pharmacy experience?

I think pharmacy experience is a vital experience, especially if you have the time to work as a tech. There may be misconceptions about what it is like to work in a pharmacy as both a technician and as a pharmacist, and what better way to appreciate it than to be in a pharmacy?

As a volunteer, you are limited as to what you can do legally and the flexibility of working only approximately four hours a week is much better than say a PRN or part-time paid position, especially when you need to focus on your studies. Volunteering allows you to observe what goes on within a pharmacy and the separation of work and coordination between pharmacists and technicians, but that's mostly what you do: watch.

As a technician, you get hands-on experience working with other technicians, pharmacists, nurses, doctors, and patients. You'll be able to witness firsthand just how rough and fast working in a pharmacy can be and how much stress and pressure are involved to be accurate, quick, responsive, patient, respectful, etc. while trying not to tear your own hair out. Another plus side is you get to experience what a tech experiences, giving you an even deeper appreciation for your future pharmacy technicians (I hope).

I've known people who got into pharmacy school without much experience in the actual pharmacy, but I personally feel by working having this experience, a person would be able to present a better personal statement and respond to interview questions.

Hi,
I don't have any experience in pharmacy and I would like to get started as soon as possible. Is it better to become a Pharmacy Tech or just volunteer at a hospital in the pharmacy department? Being a pharm tech you get paid and volunteering you don't get paid. Do pharmacy schools give preferences on one or the other? or it does not matter as long as you have pharmacy experience?

I agree with the above poster, but depending on where you live it may be a little hard to find a Tech opening right now. I would study (if needed) for the technician certification exam and at least be knowledgeable and certified while you are job hunting. They may look at you a little more if you are already certified.

Until you do land a tech job, why would it hurt to find a volunteer position in a local hospital pharmacy or community pharmacy? Yea you are limited to what you can do, but at least get back there and start seeing what happens in a pharmacy. You could possibly even shadow a pharmacist for a little while too. Any observational experience can be good experience.

Another thing to consider is finding a job as a "clerk" in a pharmacy. That's what I did for a while. You are not exactly doing all the things a tech would, but you are still working alongside them and the pharmacists, and getting paid in the process.

Be a pharm tech.

Volunteering is fine in combination, however, working in a pharmacy will give you a clearer idea of what community pharmacy practice is, whether you like it or not as well as make you a stronger applicant for a pharmD program.

Thank you guys. I will work towards getting the pharm tech license for now and volunteer on the side.

Make sure you find a good time to work as a technician. I started working when I was taking organic chemistry, and putting in 16 hours of work a week on top of classes can be exhausting. Granted I mainly worked PRN at a hospital but if I had a weekend shift, I would show up at 7 AM, work until 3:30, and up wasting the entire day not being able to focus enough to study effectively.

Moral of my story? Be prepared and plan ahead so you don't run into these rough situations.

i am having hard time shadowing a pharmacist, so i am thinking about volunteering in a hospital. is it a good idea to volunteer in the ER?
they are not allowing volunteers in the pharmacy department.
which department is most helpful for pharmacy?

i am having hard time shadowing a pharmacist, so i am thinking about volunteering in a hospital. is it a good idea to volunteer in the ER?
they are not allowing volunteers in the pharmacy department.
which department is most helpful for pharmacy?

Check your local red cross - they typically allow volunteers to help out with pharmacy related experience - without all of the barriers to entry.

I did start out volunteering at an ED, but it was before I knew I wanted to do pharmacy. Once I knew, I quickly made the move to get into the pharmacy. If this hospital is not going to let that happen - find a different volunteer opportunity.

So I volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for the past year and a half back in my school location, which is far from my home. I have recently graduated, and moved back home officially, and stopped my volunteer hours at the hospital due to the difficulty of distance.

I am also applying this summer to pharmacy schools.

Does it look bad if there is a stop date right before I start applying? Should I look around and try to get another pharmacy related position for the next month or so to show commitment or something...? Or do you think the year and half is enough to show them I am genuinely interested, and they wouldn't care too much about my stop date?

Thanks~!

hi busy,
1.5 years is plenty of volunteer experience. Ad coms are scanning through thousands of applications, they wont even think twice about stop dates or start dates, just the fact that you volunteered. You seem to have the right stuff, submit early and you'll make it in no time!
Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a respectable amount of pharmacy experience. They may ask about your decision to stop working during your interview, so be prepared for that.

Don't worry about it... adcoms won't ask how long you've volunteered for.. most likely they'll ask what type of activities you've done to prepare yourself for the field of pharmacy.. I know, they've asked me that.

How long you volunteered IS relevant. Ad coms want to see commitment. Volunteering for a year and a half looks good. Its when you volunteer for a short amount of time when its looks like you are just trying to do stuff to boost your app. You'll be fine.... People stop volunteering for many reasons. And you had a good run.

I've been applying and looking around a lot for a pharmacy technician job or even a volunteering opportunity in a pharmacy but this is becoming nearly impossible! No one is hiring because of the budget cuts after the recession and there are already too many pharmacy volunteers or no clinical opportunities, just like filing paper and stuff. Should I do something like that or try and volunteer at a hospital even if it is non pharmacy related? I have other EC I just wanted some pharmacy experience to help my application. Please give any advice you have! Thanks :)

Get your foot in the door in whatever hospital you can.

After a few months filing papers, there might be an opening and you'll be a "senior" volunteer by then. Hospitals love long-term volunteers and you'll really be ahead of the pack if you've already done all the in-processing, health screens, background checks, and the like.

And you absolutely need to be persistent. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but also you catch more bees with honey than vinegar, so you have to be careful HOW persistent you are! This world is filling up fast w/ pharmacy aspirants, so you need to do whatever you can to demonstrate that somehow you are serious and they are not. Persistence certainly helps the case!

Have you tried going into an independently owned pharmacy? I was in the same situation as you, and I went into a few independents, and told the supervising pharmacist that I am looking into going to pharmacy school and I would like to get some experience in order to make sure pharmacy is right for me. I was able to get a volunteer position at an independent, and I get to work right with the pharmacist now! If you haven't done that, you should give some independents a try. good luck!

If you're near a military base, check w/your local Red Cross. I'm spending this summer volunteering at our base hospital pharmacy. It's been the most amazing experience. They really need volunteers to keep the pharmacy working efficiently.

I would recommend talking to the pharmacy manager in a pharmacy and expressing your desire to work there. Even if they don't currently have any job openings, they may remember you and call you if there is an opening. I applied everywhere in my town and no one was hiring. One pharmacist was nice enough to call me and let me know that they weren't hiring, but he would pass my application around to other stores. He called me a month later, and now I've got a job interview at CVS tomorrow. Just be persistent, keep your schedule as open as possible, and be willing to work at any pharmacy, even if it's out of your way.

Do try volunteering at a hospital even if there are no pharmacy openings. You will probably be the first to hear of any volunteer openings in the pharmacy and could switch over to that area.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My pharmacy isn't hiring either. But we have had one person come in and talk to the manager. He dropped off his resume and really impressed the boss. She still has his application and will probably hire him when a position opens. Keep trying!

Do you have any relatives that buy drugs at the same pharmacy for many years? Maybe they know the manager/pharmacist there well and possibly a chance to get you in. That was the case for me :laugh: Don't lose hope.

at the very least , try to find an independently owned pharmacy where you can shadow a pharmacist for a set time period.

i had some problems finding a place to volunteer/ work. try finding some non-traditional places for work such as pharma companies/mail order pharmacies/government agencies. I know that the FDA was hiring interns just recently (that deadline might have passed now though)

Find an independent pharmacy and talk to the owner of the pharmacy. Tell him/her you need pharmacy experience to help you build up your pharmacy school applications. They've been in your shoes and have a lot more lead way than a corporate pharmacy. They decide how many techs they need in their pharmacy - not the company.

Let them know your willingness to volunteer and that you could be available to fill in for techs who need to take off work or call in sick.

It's a win win situation for the independent pharmacist - he gets free labor and someone to help when he gets in a sticky situation and short on techs. This will eventually turn into a full time position when one comes open.

yea I'm in the same situation, I've decided to go ahead and apply even though I have had only about 20 hours of in-patient pharmacy shadowing up till now. I've been pro-actively searching for pharmacy "volunteer" opportunities, since in my situation I work full time in a research lab and pretty much have only the weekends free. I still plan on searching for opportunities throughout this whole application cycle.

I've been applying and looking around a lot for a pharmacy technician job or even a volunteering opportunity in a pharmacy but this is becoming nearly impossible! No one is hiring because of the budget cuts after the recession and there are already too many pharmacy volunteers or no clinical opportunities, just like filing paper and stuff. Should I do something like that or try and volunteer at a hospital even if it is non pharmacy related? I have other EC I just wanted some pharmacy experience to help my application. Please give any advice you have! Thanks :)

Any volunteering help is better than nothing.. But, I would still call up a volunteer services department at a hospital and ask if they are taking any volunteers at the pharmacy, you might be surprised by what you hear..

I agree with everyone about asking an independent pharmacy. I'm starting my volunteer service on Friday!

so i already know i should get some pharmacy experience before i apply to pharm. school.

i noticed a lot here that a lot of students are starting off working retail like cvs, walgreens, etc.

would it make a difference if i started out at a privately-owned pharmacy?
i still keep in contact with one of my favorite teachers from high school and he told me his friend owns his own pharmacy and is opening up a second one, and he's always looking for help. i was thinking of getting my experience there since i already have a way to get my foot in the door.

should i get retail pharmacy experience later on? i don't know if pharm. schools look at what type of pharmacy you've worked in and i know the working environment is different with retail and private.

thanks for any input you can give !

I work at an independent pharmacy, and it is considered "retail", just not big-box retail like Wags.

It's the same experience, though, and sometimes our indy pharmacy can actually match the output one of the Rite-Aid Pharmacies in town.

Sounds like a helluva deal, jump on it.

Hey Passion4Sci, how did you get your tech job at an independent pharmacy? Did you just call around places in your area, asking for openings or did you actually come in to the pharmacies and seek a position?

It seems that indep. places are much smaller so the likelihood of landing a job at those places would be slimmer since they don't need as many workers in the staff. However, I may resort to looking into indep. places since all the retail chain stores like Walgreen's, CVS, Rite Aid, and Target in my area seem to be fully staffed at this point..
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=254279

Hey Passion4Sci, how did you get your tech job at an independent pharmacy? Did you just call around places in your area, asking for openings or did you actually come in to the pharmacies and seek a position?

It seems that indep. places are much smaller so the likelihood of landing a job at those places would be slimmer since they don't need as many workers in the staff. However, I may resort to looking into indep. places since all the retail chain stores like Walgreen's, CVS, Rite Aid, and Target in my area seem to be fully staffed at this point..

Hello!

Basically through a lot of persistence, phone calls, and everything short of harrassment! Not exactly, but what I did was when I started getting into Pharmacy looking for a place to work last year, I called everywhere in Davis, Sacramento and all its suburbs, etc. Anywhere within a 30 mile radius, I called.

On the more positive ones, I actually went in dressed in my nicest attire, replete with my resume, letters of recommendation, my DD214 from the Army, etc. The works, I went balls deep essentially. All of it paid off, obviously I made an impression, and I was first in line for a Tech spot when one of the Techs left the business for Pharmacy school in Florida.

A lot of the people I am competing against/was competing against are only half-motivated. I brought my full range of military motivation to bear on the civilian world, and it buckled under the strain. I'm willing to work back to back shifts without complaining, work overnight if I have to, work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday without nary a word, and am willing to sweep and mop the floor just as well as clean toilets. It sounds like common sense... "Hell yeah I'll DO ANYTHING for a job! Just hire me!", hear it all the time, then when you find out you gotta clean the ****ters, woops gotta go.

Anyway, that was probably too much detail and I could've condensed it down dramatically, but the take-home message is just to put your entire will and drive into the process, be patient, and you WILL get some hits. The economy is rough, people are working longer and postponing Pharmacy school for a couple of years, etc.

With the right attitude you're bound for success. Don't look at bix-box pharmacy as a "last resort" or you've already got the wrong perspective.

Oh whoa, that's pretty cool that you landed that tech job. Did you have any pharmacy experience beforehand (like as a tech, clerk, volunteering, or shadowing) by any chance?

I used to volunteer/shadow at an independent pharmacy in Sac as well, but don't reside in that area anymore. Anyway, thanks for the words of wisdom! I'll be contacting independent pharmacies tomorrow and see how it goes.

Oh whoa, that's pretty cool that you landed that tech job. Did you have any pharmacy experience beforehand (like as a tech, clerk, volunteering, or shadowing) by any chance?

I used to volunteer/shadow at an independent pharmacy in Sac as well, but don't reside in that area anymore. Anyway, thanks for the words of wisdom! I'll be contacting independent pharmacies tomorrow and see how it goes.

The only thing I had under my belt in terms of salient pharmacy knowledge was what I learned in the Mosby's before I took the PTCB exam. All my prior experience, schooling, etc were obviously directed to much different avenues than Pharmacy, so I just had to play up what I DID have.

I am sure you'll be fine, just be persistent and don't be shy. Show you're a people person, even if you're not, and hopefully everything will more or less fall into place.

Look, lets be honest, it is hard as hell to get your foot in the door in pharmacy.

Ive been to about 20 pharmacies in my local area and nobody wants to deal with a pre-pharmacy student. They all want grad students interns or people with tech experience, none of which describe me.

How are you suppoed to get pharmacy experience as an undergrad when, in order to do that, you already need experience? Its a catch 22!

Pharmacy experience is vital in pharmacy school acceptance. PCAT and GPA arent enough.

What do you guys think? Any advice?

I walked into a little "Ma & Pa" pharmacy down the street and they were actually excited to have me come in and volunteer...I started the next weekend and they've already been asking when I can get my tech license and start working there.

Go to individually owned pharmacies...Walgreens and CVS are already committed to pharmacy school interns, etc...

Also, there is 1 hospital in my area that has a volunteer program that I've already been to orientation for...going to start volunteering ini the hospital sometime this fall...BUT every other hospital doesn't allow it. You just have to keep looking.

To to PTCB.org and take your pharmacy technician certification boards. You don;t even need to take a training class. once you pass the PTCEs, you'll be a certified Pharamcy technician and you will look stronger in the applicant pool for voluntter opportunities.

GOOD LUCK!

Go to individually owned pharmacies...Walgreens and CVS are already committed to pharmacy school interns, etc...

Not true. If you get your license you can work there with no experience.

To to PTCB.org and take your pharmacy technician certification boards. You don;t even need to take a training class. once you pass the PTCEs, you'll be a certified Pharamcy technician and you will look stronger in the applicant pool for voluntter opportunities.

GOOD LUCK!

So THIS is where "PCATS" comes from. :laugh:

I still maintain PCATs/MCATs comes from the fact that the GRE has two components - The General and then the Subject (For whatever subject you're going to take it on), so it used to be customary to say "I need to take the GRE*s*" and pluralize it, because otherwise no one knew if you were going to take both.

But, I still think singular is understandable...

I walked into a little "Ma & Pa" pharmacy down the street and they were actually excited to have me come in and volunteer...I started the next weekend and they've already been asking when I can get my tech license and start working there.

Also, there is 1 hospital in my area that has a volunteer program that I've already been to orientation for...going to start volunteering ini the hospital sometime this fall...BUT every other hospital doesn't allow it. You just have to keep looking.

I so agree with you on this. My main pharmacist was so willing to take me on as a volunteer and he has been asking me when will I be taking the PTCE because he would love to have me working as a tech for him since I impressed him since I started volunteering earlier this week.

Persistence ......

I walked into several pharmacies, both chain and non, and asked about working or volunteering. No luck. Then I walked into several hospitals and asked about volunteers. They said they didn't need volunteers, or that only actual pharmacy students could work/volunteer there. I was receiving physical therapy at a different hospital, and on a whim, I stopped by the volunteer office, and asked. They said they accept volunteers at the pharmacy, but no positions were open at the moment. But I persisted, and asked the volunteer coordinator time and time again until a position opened. I've worked there for 1.5 years now. Quit in May cuz I graduated school - so now some other prepharm sucker can take my position. :laugh:

Point: Just keep trying. Try different places and if you seem to have hope somewhere... keep asking! (Not to the point of annoyance though.) The persistence will show you WANT to work there.

What are some ways to get pharmacy - related jobs?

I called my local hospital to volunteer in the pharmacy department and they are supposedly backed up and not taking anymore volunteers till January. At another hospital they said that if I volunteered in the pharmacy the most I would be doing is just picking up the phone in that area. I've looked at drugstores and they said mostly I would start at the cashier. I've looked into getting my pharm tech certification but looking at these jobs postings online they want the certification AND xyz year(s) of experience, so I don't want to pay money for the test if that may be a waste because they are not hiring. I've called Target and they had already just hired someone, and they didn't have any openings but said I could just apply online for a position with their website.

I mean, do any of you know of other ideas here to get pharmacy related experience? I think my next step is simply to physically go to some places and drop off my resume. Thanks for any input.

A lot of times it's easier to call around to the local private pharmacies around the area instead of the large chain stores. They are more likely to let you shadow or allow you to volunteer at their pharmacy.

Last edited:
What are some ways to get pharmacy - related jobs?

I called my local hospital to volunteer in the pharmacy department and they are supposedly backed up and not taking anymore volunteers till January. At another hospital they said that if I volunteered in the pharmacy the most I would be doing is just picking up the phone in that area. I've looked at drugstores and they said mostly I would start at the cashier. I've looked into getting my pharm tech certification but looking at these jobs postings online they want the certification AND xyz year(s) of experience, so I don't want to pay money for the test if that may be a waste because they are not hiring. I've called Target and they had already just hired someone, and they didn't have any openings but said I could just apply online for a position with their website.

I mean, do any of you know of other ideas here to get pharmacy related experience? I think my next step is simply to physically go to some places and drop off my resume. Thanks for any input.

wait til January for the volunteer job. get certified by taking the test, dont go to school for it. get the job as a cashier in the mean while then some1 will quit at the pharmacy and you can be a tech.

Does anyone know if you have to get a pharmacist assistant license in order to volunteer? I applied for one but it's taking forever ...a couple months now and still haven't got it yet. I'm afraid by the time I get it I won't have as much free time as I do now

Does anyone know if you have to get a pharmacist assistant license in order to volunteer? I applied for one but it's taking forever ...a couple months now and still haven't got it yet. I'm afraid by the time I get it I won't have as much free time as I do now

I needed nothing to volunteer at the hospital pharmacy. Apply early! Tell the volunteer office you want to volunteer elsewhere while "waitlisted" for the pharmacy, and make sure you check by every month or so to see if anything opened up. That's how I did it.