pharmacist salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really dude? Is that the best you got? Accusing me of being someone else. LOL I guess you guys are lame as they say. Good luck getting all those chics! LOL Perhaps chics working at fast food joints may think that pharmacists are ballers.;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10517796#post10517796

BUSTED.

STONE.

COLD.

BUSTED.

dang I love when I'm right.....:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
of course not silly!

the discussion about ugly people pretending to be the beautiful people in their avatars!

Alright. I thought I would comment on this since I graduated a few years ago. My wife is in her last year. I worked 60 hours/week. We made about $200,000.00 in 2010. We also had a half-million dollar house (sold in Oct. 2010 mortgage $3100/month), student loans for me at $900/month (in deferment currently since I'm also a grad student), my truck payment of $600/month (bought on clearance in Nov 2008 for $31,000), lease of an infiniti for my wife at $450/month (don't lease a vehicle- ever!) and misc. costs. You will not be rich, but you will live comfortably. A piece of advice:
1. Do not buy an expensive vehicle when you graduate
2. Do not buy a house right away. Wait a year or two.
3. If your loans are less than 5% interest, do not pay them off right away. That's cheap money you can invest in a 401K.

Best response to my post ever with much respect to other people who posted!However most places now days don't offer more than 40 hours a week and you are not allowed to have two jobs per the contract you sign!

Best response to my post ever with much respect to other people who posted!However most places now days don't offer more than 40 hours a week and you are not allowed to have two jobs per the contract you sign!

Check your contract wording. You can try to do LTC/hospital and retail. Also, it depends on who is a direct competitor. A DM told my pharmacist (heard him myself) he can work at Sams and CVS since they aren't really considered direct competitors. So just talk to the DM and see what they say.

Surely people arent considering that their SO will likely be bringing in income as well.

If you as a pharmacist are making $90K and your husband/wife is making $60K, you are bringing in $150K. I dont know about you, but here in OK where I live, that is way above the household mean of $65K.

So, I dont see how you could NOT live comfortably at that level of income.

This is quite an interesting thread. Very entertaining indeed.

Btw. When you say Shinee, are you referring to this Korean boyband??

I said the same crap.

Don't buy an expensive house... check.

Don't buy an expensive car... check.

Live modestly and you'll live comfortably... check.
Your response was obviously to blunt. Duh!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Surely people arent considering that their SO will likely be bringing in income as well.

If you as a pharmacist are making $90K and your husband/wife is making $60K, you are bringing in $150K. I dont know about you, but here in OK where I live, that is way above the household mean of $65K.

So, I dont see how you could NOT live comfortably at that level of income.

With greed, any level of income is not going to be enough.

The pharmacist's salary is going to provide a person with financial stability IMO, as long as the amount of loans from the government and private lenders are not enormous.

And if you consider the amount of loans that your SO may have, it might put some pressure on the two of you to cut spending in other areas to pay off those interests and principal balances

Wait, $2000 a month for your student loan?????

What the ****.

Even still, don't buy a $300,000 house. Problem solved.

Rent a $400/month apartment for a year or two and accumulate savings.

yes but where is the fun in that. Kids today and their sense of entitlement. If you cannot figure out how to make due on $110K/year, you need to go back and take some business classes or perhaps you should have ran money models 4 years ago before going to pharmacy school.

yeah seriously! I'm coming up the the "wtf moment" in a few months - graduate in May and no clue what I'm going to do. No jobs to be had around here, so guess I'll probably try to relocate somewhere but not happy about it :(

Also some good info I just found - http://www.pharmacytechniciancertification.com - might help some of the others on here out :)

Last edited:
ok i was told when i started school pharmacist make $120,000+ well now I am graduating not only it's hard to find a job but here is the truth you will make close to $110,000/year but 40% of that goes to tax that will leave you $66,000. Your student loan (minimum payment) will be close to $24,00/year, that will leave you $42,000/year. If you buy a $300,000 house your payment will be $36000/year that will leave you $500/month for everythingelse!!!!!! I mean all other expenses which are at least few thousand dollars a month!

I dont think you should be in pharmacy school. I think you should be an accountant because you obviously have no clue what ur talking about. 40% of your check paid to taxes is like living in Canada. First of all there are tax rates on certain levels of income. You paid 15% on money earned up to a certain value and then 20% on money earned after that...and so on and so forth. You arent just taxed 40% flat on your entire salary.

It would be impossible to live in this scenario.

If you make $120,000 per year......you are taking home a good $80,000-85,000

Last edited:
I dont think you should be in pharmacy school. I think you should be an accountant because you obviously have no clue what ur talking about. 40% of your check paid to taxes is like living in Canada. First of all there are tax rates on certain levels of income. You paid 15% on money earned up to a certain value and then 20% on money earned after that...and so on and so forth. You arent just taxed 40% flat on your entire salary.

It would be impossible to live in this scenario.

If you make $120,000 per year......you are taking home a good $80,000-85,000

First off if you read later posts, I mentioned I used the tax as a general term! I really ment everything that is taken out of your check before you can cash your check. Thanks for clarification that certain amount of income pays certain amount of tax and other certain amounts pay other amount. It was very useful haha my dad and my sister are pharmacists...If you get a chance ask one of the pharmacist you work with to show you their pay check :)

First off if you read later posts, I mentioned I used the tax as a general term! I really ment everything that is taken out of your check before you can cash your check. Thanks for clarification that certain amount of income pays certain amount of tax and other certain amounts pay other amount. It was very useful haha my dad and my sister are pharmacists...If you get a chance ask one of the pharmacist you work with to show you their pay check :)

120k household income in NY equates to 92k take-home (family of 3). This includes federal, state and fica payments. Bro, thats $7600 a month. I can't see how it would be radically any different in other states.

I would venture to say that 120k as my combined parent's income, I consider myself "semi-rich"... I know people who grew up on less than half that, and theyre still doing fine.

just worry about finding a job when your done...if youre having trouble living on 110k, then hope you win the lottery, cuz idk what to tell you at that point.

Like P4Sci said, don't go out and buy a new car AND a house after you graduate.

I think WVU once advised to live in the same place you were during school if you had an apartment, and then find somewhere nice once you save up enough money.

If you don't have kids yet, I think you should try to plan that for later. I know it doesn't always work that way, but if you can, it'll save you some money, IMO.

I think WVU once advised to live in the same place you were during school if you had an apartment, and then find somewhere nice once you save up enough money.
**** man, WVU had it right all along. Double wide and a taurus. He was able to be unemployeed quite a long time with the money he saved.

I'd really like to know how well off pharmacists in the Bay Area/San Francisco live.

Not that I'd ever expect to get a job there.

According to the latest year tax bracket, assuming your yearly income is 120,000, you fall into the 28% tax bracket for federal tax. Additionally, you may have to pay another 9% state tax (depend on where you live) before any deductible. Also, add on to that Social Security, Medicare etc you will pay close to 40% of your total income.

Now, when you take into account all of the tax deductible, you will probably pay anywhere from 35-38% of your total income (including state income tax on top of federal income tax). There is an alternative minimum income tax that prevents you from paying less than a certain amount of tax (this applies to people who have a lot of tax deductibles).

Assuming best case scenario, you only pay 35% of your total income to federal and state tax, social security, medicare etc (after deductibles) you have 65% of your income left to spend, and thats $78000, which is about $6.5k a month. Thats about enough to pay for a mortage, car, student loan and other expenses.

You won't get rich, but you will be able to live comfortably.

According to the latest year tax bracket, assuming your yearly income is 120,000, you fall into the 28% tax bracket for federal tax. Additionally, you may have to pay another 9% state tax (depend on where you live) before any deductible. Also, add on to that Social Security, Medicare etc you will pay close to 40% of your total income.

Now, when you take into account all of the tax deductible, you will probably pay anywhere from 35-38% of your total income (including state income tax on top of federal income tax). There is an alternative minimum income tax that prevents you from paying less than a certain amount of tax (this applies to people who have a lot of tax deductibles).

Assuming best case scenario, you only pay 35% of your total income to federal and state tax, social security, medicare etc (after deductibles) you have 65% of your income left to spend, and thats $78000, which is about $6.5k a month. Thats about enough to pay for a mortage, car, student loan and other expenses.

You won't get rich, but you will be able to live comfortably.

Thank you, that's exactly right! 5000-7000/month is the range...

5-7k a month is a great life. I remember when I used to bring home ~3k a month and I thought that was awesome. The only issue, is my student loans will be wayyy more expensive.

**** man, WVU had it right all along.

And the sooner the rest of you learn this, the sooner you will be on the path to greatness. Mikeyness is next to godliness. Say that 10 times before you go to bed and you'll be just fine.

Actually, I'm still rocking the Taurus. I'm in a hoity-toity loft condo complex and it cracks me up to see my Taurus parked amongst rows of Lexuses and BMWs. I'm thinking about getting a bumper sticker that reads "I'm more financially responsible than you."

Last edited:
I've seen pharmacists actual checks you are going to be a middle class not rich! With this economy and so many recent graduates and closing down of pharmacies and cutting back on your hours and over time it's really hard! Plus no one is retiring, everyone is holdin on to their job!

Dude...I'll be forthcoming with real numbers...I get like $3800 every two weeks after taxes, health insurance, and 401k ($1100 for all taxes...about $250 for the 401k...$100 or so health insurance)

If you can't live and live well off of that, you got issues, kid...

Dude...I'll be forthcoming with real numbers...I get like $3800 every two weeks after taxes, health insurance, and 401k ($1100 for all taxes...about $250 for the 401k...$100 or so health insurance)

If you can't live and live well off of that, you got issues, kid...

Rock on. I'd have a Black Gibby Les Paul Custom if I was raking in that kind of dough. Too bad I'm still in school.

I'm happy you have a good paying job, WVU - once again. That's cool, man!

There are people over in the PharmD forum saying that you don't live comfortably as a pharmacist. WTF? If you can barely make it by with $6,000 per month take home, you're doing it wrong.

There are people over in the PharmD forum saying that you don't live comfortably as a pharmacist. WTF? If you can barely make it by with $6,000 per month take home, you're doing it wrong.

I agree. But if you have something like 300K or more in student loan debt + a new house + a new car + kids, then you can see where that would happen.

And the sooner the rest of you learn this, the sooner you will be on the path to greatness. Mikeyness is next to godliness. Say that 10 times before you go to bed and you'll be just fine.

Actually, I'm still rocking the Taurus. I'm in a hoity-toity loft condo complex and it cracks me up to see my Taurus parked amongst rows of Lexuses and BMWs. I'm thinking about getting a bumper sticker that reads "I'm more financially responsible than you."

That's cooler than my bumper sticker..

http://www.northernsun.com/n/s/Opposable-Thumbs-Bumper-Sticker-(5470).html

The normal household income is 50K in the USA(unintentional rhyme). You hipsters should quit complianing. It's not like you'll be dining on ramen and bologna when you graduate.

The normal household income is 50K in the USA(unintentional rhyme). You hipsters should quit complianing. It's not like you'll be dining on ramen and bologna when you graduate.

The normal household also doesn't carry 100k+ in student loan debt. That's the best counter-argument to "BUT ITS ABOVE MEDIAN!!111" and while it's weak, it's certainly valid.

The normal household also doesn't carry 100k+ in student loan debt. That's the best counter-argument to "BUT ITS ABOVE MEDIAN!!111" and while it's weak, it's certainly valid.

I agree - it's weak. Debt SHOULD be temporary, but your earning power should be permanently higher after earning your degree.

Where some see debt, I see a chance to build a kick ass credit score!

I agree - it's weak. Debt SHOULD be temporary, but your earning power should be permanently higher after earning your degree.

Sure, it should be, and for many it probably is. But it takes a pretty darn long time even making double payments to get rid of it, and hey let's face it, very few debtors are responsible and foresighted such that they will not dig themselves a humongous pile of debt after taking on the humongous pile of debt that is a modern professional degree.

Several folks in my class have $20,000+ in consumer debt as well as the debt they're incurring for the Pharm.D. Many see the degree as their ticket out of the hole when in reality they're just licensing themselves to even more pain 'n' suffering.

'Tis sad.

Where some see debt, I see a chance to build a kick ass credit score!

That is true, you do need debt to build credit which is one of the ways in which we're all stuck into one huge pyramid scheme of crappiness. i always thought it was odd back when I was 17 that in order to even lead a half-way normal life, you absolutely have to borrow money-from someone.

Hell, you can barely get an apartment these days without a god damn credit check... and if you have "insufficient credit history", it's as good as having burnt a hole in your pocket with your credit cards and filed bankruptcy.

That is true, you do need debt to build credit which is one of the ways in which we're all stuck into one huge pyramid scheme of crappiness. i always thought it was odd back when I was 17 that in order to even lead a half-way normal life, you absolutely have to borrow money-from someone.

Hell, you can barely get an apartment these days without a god damn credit check... and if you have "insufficient credit history", it's as good as having burnt a hole in your pocket with your credit cards and filed bankruptcy.

I like your pessimism! It's such a sneaky, snake world that we live in. Dave Ramsey would totally be pissed if he knew that I had two credit cards.

I call it tempered realism. I don't really only foresee bad outcomes and stuff, so I'm not a real pessimist. I totally see the benefit in having a credit system. It allows things to be more expensive and therefore grows a larger economy (albeit with a large % of the GDP being consumer spending) and our strong credit network is one of the reasons America is (more or less still...) on top.

But I digress.

I'm pretty sure you all got called "hipsters" and didn't deny it... You use mac books, wear skinny jeans, listen to house music, and drink 5 dollar lattes?